Intermittent Fasting

If you wanna shred and cut calories. Try "Intermittent Fasting" once a week

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Or just count your calories. I like IF, especially the 24 hour fast once or twice a week, but that type of IF is simply one that produces a calorie deficit. It is not in itself some magic thing that will shred a person more than a consistent daily deficit, and for some people, it won't work because of personal preference.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If you wanna shred and cut calories. Try "Intermittent Fasting" once a week

Why?

It's an eating style that's all. If you want to lose weight you just need a calorie deficit
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Do something once a week isn't going to have a meaningful impact on anything.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

It works if it ends up helping to create an overall deficit for the week.. but yeah if you fast one day and go overboard the rest of the time, that one day isn't going to help.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Or don't and still get shredded. Do what works for you.
  • rileysowner
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

If, and in some sense this is a big if unless a person is somehow making sure they don't eat more without realizing it to compensate, a person does not take in any calories for one day a week, thus removing 3 meals (assuming three meals a day) it would be just short of 15% reduction of what they eat per week. That would be a decent deficit for most people, so yes, doing this once a week can have a meaningful impact over time.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2017
    nevermind. it's just MFP being MFP.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    No thanks, I am not doing IF and doing pretty amazing over here.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I'm a huge fan of IF & practice it myself but under no circumstances does the original statement make any sense. It actually does a disservice to those who follow it by making people think that it's a miracle cure (or even worse that people who follow it believe its a miracle cure) It's merely an eating protocol that may or may not be used in conjunction with a healthy diet to lose, maintain or even gain weight while following it.
  • culpablecorgi
    culpablecorgi Posts: 15 Member
    Neat suggestion and all, but I think I would much rather eat something than not eat something. Healthy meals every day satisfy me. Punishing myself into losing weight by not eating does not. If you hate food or something, then go nuts, but I certainly don't :lol:
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    I intermittently fast every day. I never eat breakfast ;)
  • rileysowner
    Neat suggestion and all, but I think I would much rather eat something than not eat something. Healthy meals every day satisfy me. Punishing myself into losing weight by not eating does not. If you hate food or something, then go nuts, but I certainly don't :lol:

Intermittent fasting is not "punishing yourself". It is simply another way of eating that works quite well for many people either using a longer fasting window overnight while eating at a calorie deficit not starting to eat again until later in the day, or taking a 24 hour period where they don't consume any calories, but eat at maintenance all the other days of the week. This works extremely well for some people, and for them is far preferable to eating using other patterns. In fact for some of them, eating the way you do would be punishing as they find is unsatisfying.
  • mslila8500
    mslila8500 Posts: 3 Member
    Im currently intermittent fasting. In the past I got good results from doing it im a week in and Im already seeing results. Im new on here so feel free to add me
  • rosiecotton24
    rosiecotton24 Posts: 81 Member
    JaxxieKat wrote: »
    I intermittently fast every day. I never eat breakfast ;)

Same here. It actually makes it easier because then I don't have to worry about breakfast before work. If I was running short on time I always stopped and bought a breakfast sandwich somewhere, which is not good! I'm very rarely hungry anymore in the morning.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    16:8 I hear works the best if u can do it. People feel satisfied cause they eat all calories in 8 hours
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    If it works for you, great. Since I have an active job, however, I would get extremely hangry if I fasted for a day. So I'll stick to a traditional deficit.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Xvapor wrote: »
    16:8 I hear works the best if u can do it. People feel satisfied cause they eat all calories in 8 hours

Works the best for what?
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Weight loss. I shouldn't say works best .. I guess I mean for people I know it was easiest