Is Oatmeal a Good Breakfast for Weight Loss?

Options
I love having 2 sachets of quaker oats with water in the morning.. It keeps me full for hours but I read somewhere that its not good for Weightloss?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My breakfast this morning:

120g rolled oats
    100g whole eggs
    184g kail
    Cinnamon, tumeric, cumin, black pepper.

kjvnpgdm9vd8.png

That is all.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    It's fine for weight loss although the flavoured packets are fairly high in sugar (but I'm not judging, I keep some in my desk at work for emergencies).
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I've eaten it most days for almost 2 years. It's fine if it's calories are good. I don't care for the flavored stuff with sugar, steel cut with fruit.
  • logiatype
    logiatype Posts: 110 Member
    Options

120g rolled oats
    100g whole eggs
    184g kail

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/editor/lb/kjvnpgdm9vd8.png

That is all.

What app is that?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    logiatype wrote: »

120g rolled oats
    100g whole eggs
    184g kail

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021879/uploads/editor/lb/kjvnpgdm9vd8.png

That is all.

What app is that?

@logiatype Happy Scale for iOS. I think there's a similar one for Android called Libra or something.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    If you are full and it satisfies, go for it! I eat eggs every morning and that is what works for me. Are you losing weight? Then it works. Don't worry about the rest of us, lol
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have two of the Great Value or Quaker sugar-free maple and brown sugar flavored packages on occasion. That's two hundred calories and keeps me reasonably full enough until lunch. As long as it fits your macros, most foods will be good for weight loss. Except, of course, cabbage, cabbage is evil! :):)
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Whatever foods you like are fine for weight loss. If they keep you full that's a bonus. Oatmeal is a fairly low calorie food even when I add maple syrup and brown sugar. If it keeps you going until lunch or a morning snack keep at it.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I have oats most days with a piece of fruit added (and cinnamon and nutmeg for flavour) for breakfast and it never impacted on my weight loss and keeps me full for hours. I just make it from scratch as it is cheaper and has no added sugar.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Isn't it helpful in reducing cholesterol? I seem to remember an ad campaign that marketed it.

I've started eating it for lunch and even though there isn't much quantity to it does end up keeping me from being too hungry. I like eating volume because it makes me feel like I've eaten a lot - more of a mind trick than anything else.

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    A caloric deficit is the only good thing for weight loss. You can eat oatmeal whether you're trying to gain or lose weight
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    As long as it works for you & satisfies your stomach then continue having those for breakfast.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    There are benefits from the soluble fibre in the oats. Many other cereals do not score so well because they lack fibre and many are loaded with sugar.

Do what is right for you.
  • bikerjoe83
    bikerjoe83 Posts: 61 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Isn't this 'myth' borne out of the confusion about complex carbs? I've read some about complex carbs and my understanding is that carbs with naturally occurring sugars (not added) are complex carbs and are basically 'energy foods', but carbs with added sugars are 'bad for you' because the extra sugar may just get stored in your body and unless you exercise a lot is empty calories, hence why it may be seen as bad for weightloss?

Logically, plain oats with milk/water are much better for you than flavoured/processed oats with added sugar, unless you exercise a lot to burn off the extra sugar.

Neither are bad for calorie-controlled weightloss though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Beats me why people think oats are or are not bad for weight loss. (I'd say it depends on how filling they are for you.) But:
    bikerjoe83 wrote: »
    I've read some about complex carbs and my understanding is that carbs with naturally occurring sugars (not added) are complex carbs and are basically 'energy foods', but carbs with added sugars are 'bad for you' because the extra sugar may just get stored in your body and unless you exercise a lot is empty calories, hence why it may be seen as bad for weightloss?

No.

Complex carbs are starches. (Yes, oatmeal is a complete carb, but so is cereal, not the added sugar if any, however, bread, pasta, potatoes, so on.)

Simple carbs are sugars. This includes fruit. (Fruit also has some fiber, although it depends on the fruit, of course.)

Complex carbs tend to be broken down more slowly than sugars (from any source), BUT that's overstated since fiber slows down the break down and so does protein and fat, which is why many think the distinction is worthless.

Fueling for a slow burn, oatmeal is a good source. Need quick energy (right before a run, during, replenishing after) you want a quicker source, like a banana. I often have oatmeal in the morning, but would digest some before exercising.

If you are at a deficit you aren't going to store fat, no matter how much is from sugar. (And your body easily turns complex carbs into sugar.)
    Logically, plain oats with milk/water are much better for you than flavoured/processed oats with added sugar, unless you exercise a lot to burn off the extra sugar.

No, it depends on the overall diet. Oats with a bit of sugar (or, as I prefer berries) aren't "bad for you." Milk has sugar, also, btw. Sugary breakfasts without much fiber or protein (like a sugary cereal or some more processed and flavored oats) MIGHT have less fiber, less protein, and otherwise be less filling for the calories. (I don't like them as well also, but that's personal preference.) They are not inherently bad for you and they certainly don't make you gain weight or not lose weight, if the calories are equal.

Overall micros for the day are also important, of course, but adding some sugar to oats won't remove micros.
    Neither are bad for calorie-controlled weightloss though.

Yes, agree.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Instant oatmeal isn't as good as rolled oats which aren't as good as steel cut oats.... at least in terms of how long they keep you feeling full.