Causes of weight gain

Options
What causes more weight gain? Emotional distress or poor exercise habits?

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Neither, it's consuming more calories than; your body naturally burns!
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Neither, it's consuming more calories than; your body naturally burns!

This.

Though, the emotions can play a large part in why you turn to the foods(or drinks) that cause the exess in calories. Emotions alone won't cause the gain.

All the best with a happy, healthy lifestyle :)
  • MissWeightLoss30
    MissWeightLoss30 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If being over weight comes from an increase in calorie consumption caused by emotional distress, isn't it safe to say that weight gained is caused by someone's mental state. Eating right and exercising comes from motivation, if you lack that, then weight loss is not obtainable. Someone's motivation is dictated by their mental state, so what mental state do you need to have to loose weight? And whatever mental state is required for weight loss, how do you keep it consistent?
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    If being over weight comes from an increase in calorie consumption caused by emotional distress, isn't it safe to say that weight gained is caused by someone's mental state. Eating right and exercising comes from motivation, if you lack that, then weight loss is not obtainable. Someone's motivation is dictated by their mental state, so what mental state do you need to have to loose weight? And whatever mental state is required for weight loss, how do you keep it consistent?

I see many barriers to a goal in this paragraph and not many reasons for getting to a goal.

You can change your mental state the majority of the time simply by being on track - without owning the problem, you can't change it.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options

Exercise isn't for, weight loss because most people're unable to, exercise enough to consume how; much they'd desire to & thus it's for health, plus to consume something extra occasionally that they normally'd be unable to; fit into their daily calories!

Emotional consumption also has to, do with the access to; the consumable! If you don't have it, you're unable to; over consume it!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    My weightloss has not been reliant on my emotional state. I've struggled with anxiety and depression, death in the family, you name it. And I used to comfort eat. But I don't feel like I can only lose weight when things are going well. You make a change, and you stick to it. You don't diet. You tell yourself "this is how I eat now". Find something else to do other than eating. Do it for a while and it becomes a habit, regardless of your mood. I wouldn't even say I'm "motivated". I'm just different, I don't do what I used to do. I don't give myself permission to throw in the towel because I had a bad day.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    It's what you put in your pie whole, PERIOD.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Mostly bad eating habits, whatever leads to it is secondary
  • Valkmer2
    Valkmer2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You've got to untie your emotions from your eating habits (easier said than done, I know). If it takes therapy, get therapy. For me, I've discovered that my way to feeling better emotionally is to exercise more instead of eating more. Even when I'm sad, it will make me immediately happier. Endorphins are way better for your mood than food is. It's harder to do, but I've definitely gotten better results, both immediate and long-term.