"Why You Should Stop Exercising to Lose Weight"

Options

Replies

• crvynatrlbeauty
    crvynatrlbeauty Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I came across this article on my MSN homepage and thought it'd be interesting to hear the views of the group. :smile:
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I refuse to even click the link. Click bait or stupidity

That^^.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I agree with the article and don't think the title is misleading. People should exercise for maintaining/improving health and fitness, as well as for enjoyment. Not seeing anything wrong here.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I just skimmed the article, because it definitely is a click bait title, but I think it goes along with what a lot of people say on here. Eat less to lose weight, and exercise for health. Using just exercise to lose weight, doesn't always work because if you don't track what you are eating, you may never burn enough to compensate for that.
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It's the way it's worded. It doesn't say you should stop exercising IN ORDER to lose weight. It's saying you shouldn't view exercise solely as a means of weight loss.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The workout of sprinting, 30 seconds 4 to 6 times per session, 2 to 3 times per week, burns more fat than the workout of low intensity steady state cardio for 3 hours a week. I don't even want to believe that, but I'm going to try it.

That's almost to the point of not working out at all.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I used to exercise without a caloric deficit at my highest weight. Of course I didn't lose anything, so I learned that exercise alone won't produce weight loss. So I switched gears to cleaning up my diet and creating a deficit, and weight loss followed. Now it's food first, exercise to feel good and look better.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    andrea4736 wrote: »
    It's the way it's worded. It doesn't say you should stop exercising IN ORDER to lose weight. It's saying you shouldn't view exercise solely as a means of weight loss.

Obviously they worded it that way intentionally, to get people's curiosity up. Who views exercise solely as a means of weight loss? It's intentionally misleading, and that is why it is clickbait.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,982 Member
    Options
    I just kind of skimmed the article. But I agree. I think diet is more important for weight loss than exercise and exercise is more important for fitness. I can see how someone would read the title and think that it is saying if you want to lose weight you should stop exercising.