Losing muscle when recovering from surgery

Options
I'm getting a TT in approx. one month. After which it could be up to 2 months until I can do any strenuous workout and I'm concerned how much muscle mass I will lose in that time.

I've always worked out to a degree but lately have not allowed myself any excuses and been going at least 5x a week - 2 focused on weights and 3 focused on more cardio interval training. I've gotten fairly defined - almost more than I would like (I know they always say women can't bulk up but when you're very short it shows up quicker I think). Anyway my thinking is to put on as much muscle as possible now so that if it’s a percent loss over those 2 months I'll be left with more than if I haven't done as much - if that makes sense.

I'm really just looking for any advice as to how to retain as much muscle as possible during the 2 month downtime. Thanks

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I had a full hip replacement 2 years ago. I'd been working out prior to that, but honestly my right leg muscles had deteriorated due to me not putting any weight on that leg because of the pain. I was back in the gym within 2 weeks of surgery doing only the exercises my PT gave me for my legs and doing upper body work on my own. Once released from PT and all restrictions I went full force back to weight lifting. I hardly lost any of the gains I'd had before. Of course it took a long time for my right leg to catch up with the rest of my body but I can say now, 2 years later, that my legs are equally strong (and no pain!!!).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    As much muscle as possible for a female is about half a pound a month under optimal conditions (calorie surplus+progressive lifting program+protein intake). So while you're recovering protein will probably be your best way to retain muscle (at least .8 grams per pound of LBM).
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you are good to build up muscle and your strength before the surgery. Pre-hab. That will help your surgery and recoveyr and re-hab. Do your rehab exactly what the Dr says, there are things they will have you do to help preserve muscle while healing. And be aware that you may not be jumping back 100% into the gym after 2 months. rehab and Recovery can be a long slow process, I dont know how much atrophy happens from a hip replacement. But after my knee surgery, it was a full year before my quad was back to about 90% full size
  • 2bouncy
    2bouncy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responses. I'll definitely keep in mind it may take longer than I anticipate to get back to 100% - that will probably be a little frustrating but better if I realize it up front. I'm hoping if a female can only gain 1/2 lb of muscle a month that is also the maximum they can lose...but it never seems to work that way. I'll concentrate on good nutrition during recovery!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Muscle memory is a real thing. You will get back to where you were, I wouldn't sweat it.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    2bouncy wrote: »
    Thanks for responses. I'll definitely keep in mind it may take longer than I anticipate to get back to 100% - that will probably be a little frustrating but better if I realize it up front. I'm hoping if a female can only gain 1/2 lb of muscle a month that is also the maximum they can lose...but it never seems to work that way. I'll concentrate on good nutrition during recovery!

well sadly, with my injury and again with my surgery my quad collapsed almost over night like a deflated balloon. the body does that in response to a joint trauma to prevent that muscle from further injuring the joint. I dont know how much a hip replacement will trigger that reaction. One thing that helps is to look at rehab and recovery as a humbling and growing experience. It may not be balls to the wall gym workout, but its a lot of retraining and learning about your body and has many benefits . Just work hard and be diligent and dont rush it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    What is a "TT"?