I need answers please

Options
For the past 2.5 weeks I've lost nothing. Not even a quarter of a pound. I know it isn't a long time in the grand scheme of things but I'll give you reasons why I should have lost considerably more than nothing.

Apart from yesterday I normally eat 1600 cals and under a day, way below my goal and way below the 2300 I need to maintain my weight. My diary is open if anyone cares to have a look.
I am still morbidly obese. I'm 18stone. If I'm eating 1600 cals a day and basically not eating the 700 extra I need to maintain why is nothing moving? I workout twice or three times a week and never eat back my calories that I burned.
I do weigh everything and log every single thing I eat, the week before last was by far my best week in terms of food and I just feel like I've hit a wall. It's frustrating obviously and the fact I graduate in 14 weeks and then 9 weeks later go on holiday to Orlando it's annoying me.
I want to lose 2st before my graduation and another 1-1.5 stone before I go on holiday.
I've been doing this for 10 weeks now and lost around 2st but at this moment it doesn't matter due to the fact I'm still morbidly obese I should be losing weight regularly with the way I am eating well under my calorie goal.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this, thanks

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    honestly, I think you need to just wait it out. It's not fun advice, but you were quite successfully losing, have faith in your plan. Sometimes temporary stalls happen, and then you see a nice big drop. If it is time of the month or you have changed you exercise routing during these past 2 weeks that could be part of what is masking it.
  • STC02
    STC02 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    honestly, I think you need to just wait it out. It's not fun advice, but you were quite successfully losing, have faith in your plan. Sometimes temporary stalls happen, and then you see a nice big drop. If it is time of the month or you have changed you exercise routing during these past 2 weeks that could be part of what is masking it.

I'm male and I haven't changed anything. I read this forum like its gospel and I wouldn't have posted had I came across a reason people give to others. I normally do 20 mins treadmill 40 mins weights twice a week and 60 mins boxercise class. That's why I just can't find the answer. I haven't binged, logged and weighed everything, I've changed the basis of some meals like chicken for beef etc just to give a different taste. Just don't know what is going on tbh
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I know it can be discouraging but it's only been 2 weeks. If you know you are eating in a deficit it will come off, just not as fast as you want:(.

Also you may need to enter your current weight in Mfp as you may get adjusted calories because as you lose weight you need less calories.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    STC02 wrote: »

I'm male and I haven't changed anything. I read this forum like its gospel and I wouldn't have posted had I came across a reason people give to others. I normally do 20 mins treadmill 40 mins weights twice a week and 60 mins boxercise class. That's why I just can't find the answer. I haven't binged, logged and weighed everything, I've changed the basis of some meals like chicken for beef etc just to give a different taste. Just don't know what is going on tbh

Guess its not your TOM then ;)

But I still think the answer is to wait it out. 2 weeks is not that long, stuff happens that we can't always explain. But if you were losing so successfully I have a hard time imagining you just stopped, there is probably some sort of masking factor going on.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Did you recently start the exercise? Also, have you been tracking sodium?

I agree with waiting it out. A true stall is 6 weeks.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you lose water weight and fat and it looks like a lot.
    Sometimes you gain water weight and lose fat and it looks like nothing.
    Sometimes you gain water weight, need to poo, and stall on fat loss. It looks like a gain.

It's not linear. Hang on and wait.
  • STC02
    Options
    Hang on. You've lost 28lbs in 10 weeks and you're... unhappy? :/

Well yeah. Just due to the nature of my size. For being still morbidly obese I should be losing it still. I shouldn't be stalling, not at this stage.
  • STC02
    Options

I agree with waiting it out. A true stall is 6 weeks.[/quote]

Does MFP not track that? I probably go over it 2 days out of the 7
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing my calculating right, you are @ 250 lbs, so I'd guess you have maybe 40 or 50lbs to go, correct? With those numbers you should be aiming to lose 1 or maybe 1.5 lbs per week, at most 2 lbs. You have been losing pretty fast, and when that happens sometimes your body will kind of stall for a week or two before getting back on track.

Honestly, I think your expectations are a little out of whack. You have been losing at a nice pace, and it's perfectly normal to have occasional stalls for a couple of weeks, and to see your rate of loss slow down as you get closer to goal.

And keep in mind, if you keep pushing your body to lose weight so quickly so you can reach a specific number by a specific date, you run a greater risk of losing a lot of muscle along with your fat. And it's way harder to rebuild muscle than it is to hold onto it in the first place by losing at a reasonable rate.

Please take care of yourself, best of luck!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

I agree with waiting it out. A true stall is 6 weeks.

Does MFP not track that? I probably go over it 2 days out of the 7

If you're going over 2/7 days, you could very well be retaining. How long have you been exercising for? Do you use a food scale for every solid/semi solid food and measuring cups for all liquids only and no solid foods? Weighing pre-weighed pre-packaged foods? Are you measuring cooking oils? Logging bites, tastes and licks? Weighing food in raw state? Double checking food database entries with the packaging?

And some don't track sodium. I
    Personally track fibre, iron and sodium.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You lost 28 lbs in 10 weeks for an average of 2.8 lbs/week. This is remarkable!

Biological systems don't respond immediately and you are not going to see the same rate of loss throughout. The rate will diminish as you get closer to a healthy weight - from 2 lbs/week to 1.5, 1, then .5 lbs/week. The longer you do this the more you'll become aware of how your body reacts.

Keep on with your plan - reset your expectations. Strongly consider implementing some manner of progressive resistance weight training to preserve your muscle mass.

Great work brother - keep it going!
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Here's my two cents. When I'm stuck I increase my fat intake. Yup, works for me, I eat a big bowl of popcorn with three tablespoons butter and Parmesan cheese. I think your body is afraid of starving and won't let the weight go. Also chicken with skin on it. Eat until you're full. Google apple cider vinegar for weight loss. Good for five pounds.