Restarting

Options
I'm restarting my diet and I'm looking for guidance and inspiration to stay motivated. My biggest problem has always been I'm good for the first week then a chocolate bar eases into my thoughts. So, the question is how do I stay motivated beyond the first week and fight through the chocolate cravings?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't. Don't rely on motivation, it will come and go. The more you try to fight off cravings, the stronger they become, and then you give in. Don't try to be "good", be smart. Setting a calorie goal is only the first part, and the easy part. Sticking to it is the real challenge. So figure out what you need to do to make that possible. Is removing temptation helpful? Is fitting in small treats regularly helpful? Is a tight structure helpful? Only you can answer that, and maybe only after some trial and error.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Why stay away from chocolate? Give yourself some room in your daily eating to have one piece of good chocolate. As long as you stay under your calories goals, it's all good.

Suffering is unnecessary. You're trying to lose weight, not be a hermit in the desert living on cactus and lizard meat.

This has the added benefit that by the time you hit your goal weight, you'll be in the habit of eating that one piece of chocolate only and not bingeing on the stuff. Establishing good eating habits is most of the battle, because it's the part you'll need to hang onto permanently.
  • megd44
    megd44 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Are you going to give up chocolate for the rest of your life? If not, figure out how to make it part of your calories (ie. one piece instead of the whole bar.) I like to have a beer or glass of and make sure they for into my calories for the day, then I enjoy it without caving or feeling guilty.
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If I had milk chocolate in the house, I would eat it all so know how it feels. I simply cannot have it in the house. I have tried saying 'only one a day' but it NEVER works. The only thing that has helped me is... I keep Lindt Orange Intense Dark Chocolate blocks in my fridge. Dark chocolate is so much more rich and hard to over indulge on and if you find a brand you like then it might help with over indulging. I eat it every day but only 1 to 2 squares at about 50-100 calories.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I have found that 2 squares of dark chocolate and a couple of pieces of dried fruit really hit that sweet spot.

So as others suggest. Dont ban anything but find ways of eating you favorite foods but within your calorie allowance.