Can I drink milk when I have pneumonia ?

7056991 Posts: 25 Member
Will it increase mucus?
I'm coughing a lot and sometimes my throat hurts

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Did your doctor give you a list of foods to eat or avoid? I would call the doctor's office and ask them rather than strangers on the internet.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Ask your doctor as the first user said.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Ask your doctor, but as a vocalist, I've found that the mucus thing is a myth for the most part.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    As someone who had pneumonia in the past I would say ask your doctor.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    The dairy / mucous thing is a myth.
  • catluvgal
    catluvgal Posts: 41 Member
    Not a myth. Dairy is a known mucogen though some may be more sensitive than others. If you have any resp issues going on, hot tea (whole leaf white if you can get some) is best. Avoid dairy and sugar until the infection is cleared.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    catluvgal wrote: »
    Not a myth. Dairy is a known mucogen though some may be more sensitive than others. If you have any resp issues going on, hot tea (whole leaf white if you can get some) is best. Avoid dairy and sugar until the infection is cleared.
    No

If you have questions about food, ask your doctor.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Ask your doctor, but as a vocalist, I've found that the mucus thing is a myth for the most part.

Milk may increase the viscosity of the mucus, making you notice it more (and thus think there is more of it), but it doesn't increase production.
  • Blue_Eyes76
    Blue_Eyes76 Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2018
    Bear in mind that doctors admittedly have only about a half-an-hour of nutritional training so asking your doctor is likely not your best source for information on food and nutrition. Instead, ask a nutritionist, dietician, or Holistic Health Practitioner. As one, I can say that cow dairy does thicken mucus making it harder to eliminate from the lungs, thereby making a wonderful atmosphere for bacteria to thrive. It’s advised to avoid cow dairy while experiencing any health issue in which mucus would be problematic, like pneumonia or a sinus infection. Sheep and goat, however, are fine.
  • Blue_Eyes76
    Blue_Eyes76 Posts: 2 Member
    This study suggests that A1 milk increases mucus production: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19932941/
    The difference between A1 and A2: https://www.rd.com/health/conditions/a1-protein/