Best book ever read

Options
Valqis
Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
And GO!

Hands down the best book I have read to date is THE STAND by Stephen King.

What about everyone else? What book rocks your socks off?

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    The Giving Tree! <3
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    LOVED the Stand.

But honestly the Stormlight Archive series from Sanderson wins for now (although it's actually two books... for now... but I absolutely love them).

I'll throw in the Lightbringer series from Brent Weeks as well (4 books out out of 5 and they are awesome).
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Probably Meditations or The Power Broker
  • wardamnirish056
    wardamnirish056 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter. Yes, I'm a hardcore geek.
  • comeonnow142857
    Options
    Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter. Yes, I'm a hardcore geek.

I'm mad you remembered it first!
  • DaniMedina1
    DaniMedina1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons
    Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon
    "Love, Rosie" by Cecelia Ahern
    "Anna Karenina" by Tolstoi
    "The Kite runner" and "A thousand splendid suns" by Khaled Hosseini
  • JacquiH73
    JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl - This book was a game changer for me.
  • comeonnow142857
    Options
    JacquiH73 wrote: »
    Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl - This book was a game changer for me.

+1
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, I'm all over this thread. Always looking to add to my "what to read next" list.

To Kill a Mockingbird is my all-time favorite book and I read it every other year or so.

The Time Traveler's Wife has become a close second. I'm not quite sure why. I don't know that it's the BEST book, but it's unique, and the characters are beautifully written, and I feel like it's a little bit different book every time I read it.

I recently read The Giver which is excellent. It's also sort of a "young adult" novel so it's a quick weekend read. (My 6th grader had just read it for school, so I borrowed it because I didn't have anything else. Seriously. I'll read anything out of desperation.)

I've been meaning to read The Book Thief. My 8th grader read it earlier this year and loved it. I need to get him to bring it HOME so I can borrow it already. And I just a bunch of the rest of y'all's books to my list.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    The Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
    The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - Donaldson
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kindsolver; Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte are 2 of my all time favorites. Hard to pick just one!

I also LOVE dystopian novels and there's several I like, but nothing that stands out... Though Win by Vera Nazarian comes close - it's a good story but definitely in line with *much* easier reading and sometimes a little face-palmish.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    The Devil All The Time ~ Donald Ray Pollock

In The Rogue Blood ~ James Carlos Blake

Lonesome Dove ~ Larry Mc
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    JacquiH73 wrote: »

thank you for reminding me to place this in my Amazon cart.

re5pext
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Oh good heavens, book in the singular?
    Impossible to name just one. Not being snarky, just hard because books were my friends growing up and it would be like choosing a favorite color m&m...okay green, but you get my point. :)

In the classics: Count of Monte Cristo, Jane Eyre, The Pearl, Call of the Wild, Treasure Island

Non-fiction: Journals of Lewis and Clark, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, Frontiersman (Eckert)

Novels: Storied Life of AJ Fikry, Mister God This is Anna, LOTR, any Sherlock Holmes

Others: My Life - Helen Keller, Travels in Alaska - John Muir

So many books meet the OP's criteria of "rock my socks", those are just a few off the top of my head.

Anyone else on Goodreads?
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    All The Pretty Horses - Cormac McCarthy

McCarthy is, IMO, one of the lesser known and highly underrated authors of the current era. Again, JMHO.