Best book ever read

Replies

• Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    edited March 2017
    Bleak House - Charles Dickens, The Color Purple - Alice Walker & every Catherine Cookson novel read.
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    edited March 2017
    fidycixer wrote: »
    All The Pretty Horses - Cormac McCarthy

McCarthy is, IMO, one of the lesser known and highly underrated authors of the current era. Again, JMHO.

He is excellent.
    If you like him, you may like Colum Mcann, Let the Great World Spin. I just read it last week. Not quite as heavy as McCarthy, but still gritty.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    To Kill A Mockingbird.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Goodnight Moon. classic
  • wardamnirish056
    wardamnirish056 Posts: 119 Member
    Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited March 2017
    I can't pick just one.

Rebecca --- by Daphne duMaurier - very intriguing esp how people simply believe Max's side of the story because he is the perceived wounded hero and assume Rebecca is a bad bad witchy woman

The Stand. Excellent. But so is The Talisman. That said, The Shining is the only book to make me scream ...and Salems Lot is the only book to give me nightmares.

I adore Jane Eyre, To Kill a Mockingbird, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Yet, John Grisham's A Time to Kill, The Firm, The Client, and The Pelican Brief were excellent page-turners.

I have read Gone With the Wind at least 7 times.

There are too many books to pick just one. Way too many....
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Lucy1752 wrote: »

McCarthy is, IMO, one of the lesser known and highly underrated authors of the current era. Again, JMHO.

He is excellent.
    If you like him, you may like Colum Mcann, Let the Great World Spin. I just read it last week. Not quite as heavy as McCarthy, but still gritty.

Was that the one about the tightrope walker? That was good.
  • turbostang7
    turbostang7 Posts: 1,352 Member
    The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my all time favorites
  • Pamela_43
    Pamela_43 Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2017
    Gone with the wind. My favorite. I've read it many times!

I'll admit I love the Harry Potter books too. I read the first one when it came out bc my son was reading it and people said I cant believe you are letting him read that. I read it to see if it was ok....It was and I was hooked. Lol
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    The Measure Of A Man- Sydney Poitier
  • cjprobresith
    cjprobresith Posts: 12 Member
    Women Who Run With Wolves (myths and stories of the wild woman archetype) by Clarissa Pinkola Estés, PhD

I found strength within the stories
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

anything by Murakami is nails

I've read everything he's written
  • Motorsheen

if you like Cormac McCarthy,and I agree, he's amazing.... read anything of James Carlos Blake's.

historical fiction so hard you'll chip a tooth reading it.
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    The Alienist: Caleb Carr
  • Motorsheen
    The Alienist: Caleb Carr

whoa... yeah, great choice; amazing book.

• Altess
    Altess Posts: 77 Member
    edited March 2017
    The Monster At The End Of This Book by Grover-Sesame Street Press (a REAL page turner! ) ;)
    Racso And The Rats Of N.I.H.M. by Jane Leslie Conley (Not the movie! the movie is NOTHING like the book!) have a tissue for the last chapter!
    Dune by Frank Herbert (have read it over and over.)
    The Foundation series & I,Robot by Isaac Asimov (Asimov is my favorite writer)
    The Book Of Virtures by William Bennett (so many stories in this book were ones,my parents read to me as a child.)
    Elegant Universe by Brian Greene (opened my eyes to how beautiful science is.)
    A Wish For Wings That Work by Berkeley Breathed (My favorite holiday season book,besides my go to book when I am stressed which is
    The Bible (in audio format)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Ready Player One