Getting started - TRX and Walking

Options
Hi All - I am just getting started - I am 51 years old and I have 60 pounds to loose. I started Nutrisystem and am following it really closely and logging everything in MFP - I am staying at slightly less than 1500 calories per day. I am the kind of person that I have to see weekly progress or I will get discouraged. So, I decided I need to step it up a bit so I blew the dust off my treadmill and also ordered the TRX Pro suspension system (I also have a Fitbit). I am thinking that I will alternate days TRX on Day 1, Walking on day 2, for 6 days then 1 day rest. Since I know nothing about exercise and fitness, does this sound like a decent plan? Teh TRX is supposed to come with videos so hopefully I will learn the correct form to perform the exercises. Does anyone have experience with the TRX? I am not really looking to build a six-pack - just build enough muscle to burn off fat.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    I love TRX! It's one of those things that looks deceptively easier than it is. Definitely watch the training videos first and you can find many others on YouTube. You want to make sure you have the correct form in order to reap the biggest benefits.

Walking is also great. I'm a walker myself and you can add distance and/or speed intervals, hill inclines, etc. for variety and to keep it challenging.

I'm not a calorie counter but I'm going to guess that people are going to tell you that 1500 calories per day is too low, particularly if you workout six days per week but I'll let others more knowledgeable on that topic weigh in. Either way, good luck and keep at it!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I would also go to the TRX website because it gives a list of people certified to teach classes and see if anyone close to you offers coaching - at least at the beginning to get an idea of form

I love TRX and it kicks my *kitten* - I do a class once a week with a trainer
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you were feeling really ambitious you could walk on your treadmill 7 days a week, unless you're really pushing the pace and incline walking doesn't really require recovery time. Humans have been walking long distances daily for millennia but if you've been relatively inactive breaking slowly may be a better option.

There are some great videos on youtube for TRX workouts, some of them are pretty challenging. start with the beginner workouts and working out on alternate days is probably a good idea as recovery time is needed and those of us past the half century mark typically take a little longer to recover.

Whatever you do don't become a victim of your own enthusiasm. The old adage "no pain, no gain" is simply that, an adage. I have a very wise triathlon coach who's maxim is that every workout should leave you wanting more....
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    TRX and walking Is a great way to get started and get into the groove of exercising. I love my TRX and use it every single day for something. There are so many things you can do with it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    jringold1 wrote: »
    Hi All - I am just getting started - I am 51 years old and I have 60 pounds to loose. I started Nutrisystem and am following it really closely and logging everything in MFP - I am staying at slightly less than 1500 calories per day. I am the kind of person that I have to see weekly progress or I will get discouraged. So, I decided I need to step it up a bit so I blew the dust off my treadmill and also ordered the TRX Pro suspension system (I also have a Fitbit). I am thinking that I will alternate days TRX on Day 1, Walking on day 2, for 6 days then 1 day rest. Since I know nothing about exercise and fitness, does this sound like a decent plan? Teh TRX is supposed to come with videos so hopefully I will learn the correct form to perform the exercises. Does anyone have experience with the TRX? I am not really looking to build a six-pack - just build enough muscle to burn off fat.
    I encourage you to set lots of small goals so you can see measurable progress weekly, as you require. Not only the scales. One more TRX rep is progress. 100 more steps a day is progress. Trying a new recipe is progress, etc. You may not see weight loss progress on the scales every week, few people do, . Please set realistic expectations so you don't discourage yourself!

• jringold1
    jringold1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the great tips! The scale is moving with the Nutrisystem, but very slow. That is why I want to step it up so I don't get discouraged and head back to old habits. For the TRX users, did you start off with professional training? There are several trainers close to where I live. There is also a Groupon for 2 private 50 minute TRX trainings for $43 with a trainer close to me. Wondering if that would be a waste of time (and $43) or money well spent. I'm getting excited about the TRX - it arrives tomorrow from Amazon.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I agree with the more frequent walking and adding some incline. TRX is a good home system. Just keep in mind that it takes some muscle control to do the exercises most effectively and, while it can be good for strength, it's not a big muscle builder. I don't consider those to be negatives.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    Thanks all for the great tips! The scale is moving with the Nutrisystem, but very slow. That is why I want to step it up so I don't get discouraged and head back to old habits. For the TRX users, did you start off with professional training? There are several trainers close to where I live. There is also a Groupon for 2 private 50 minute TRX trainings for $43 with a trainer close to me. Wondering if that would be a waste of time (and $43) or money well spent. I'm getting excited about the TRX - it arrives tomorrow from Amazon.

Yes, getting some professional guidance would be very helpful on TRX, especially for someone fairly new to exercise in general. Form is everything on TRX. The great thing about TRX is that the difficulty is infinitely adjustable based on your body angle as well as the specific exercise selection.

I encourage you to learn how to value small progress and to be patient. Weight loss is not linear. It is NOT LINEAR. That means it doesn't go in a straight line, it goes up and down, and sometimes stalls. Please educate yourself on the principles of weight loss so you can "reset" your way of thinking, rather than repeatedly saying that if it slows down too much you will get discouraged and quit. How about, if it slows downs or stalls, rather than quitting you will learn more about how your body works and learn to accept it so you can KEEP GOING. What would quitting accomplish?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

The $15 I spend on my TRX class a week is some of the best (imho better than my gym membership)
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    I love TRX. It's one of the first regular classes I took at my gym when I started, I've been doing it weekly for over 3 years now. It's great because anyone can do it, all the exercises have modifications and you can make them as easy or as hard as you like by adjusting where you stand in relation to the anchor. It's also a little deceptive, you can do a class, think it's pretty easy but you'll feel it the next day. I think having someone show you the ropes (little pun intended) would be worth the money. There are hundreds of moves you can do, so it would be good to have someone help you get some of the more not so standard ones under your belt. Have fun with it!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My PT gets me working with the TRX, far, far tougher than it looks and leaves me with muscles that I didn't even know I had screaming at me the next day. We combine it with short cardio intervals (slam ball, jacks, burpees etc) to torch Calories as well.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I LOVE TRX, I take classes at my gym and do think the $43 off groupon would be money well spent. Enjoy!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Definitely spend the money on a trainer for a few classes. This will help you with correct form- avoid unnecessary injury. You will also be able to have a programme built for your abilities now that will progress.

As far as your ' under 1500'calories goes. Don't stint yourself. Eating too few calories can leave you lethargic in daily living and that is where most of your calories are burned; not when you are exercising for an hour.

With 60lbs to lose a deficit of 1 lbs a week, maybe 1.5 until you are at the 45-50 mark, would be the reasonable goal. More fat; less muscle lost.
    Also logging on MFP you are expected to eat back your exercise calories, you need to fuel those workouts. Eat back 50-75% of your estimate to begin with, evaluate your loss after a month, adjust your percentage up or down to match your expected weekly loss.

Oh, take photos bi-weekly. Sometimes the scale and tape measure can't show the changes as well as having a set of pics that you can scroll through and compare.

Cheers, h.
  • kkaminski2952
    kkaminski2952 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do you track TRX in My Fitness Pal?
  • jringold1
    jringold1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    How do you track TRX in My Fitness Pal?

No idea at all. I let my fitbit track my steps here but I don't manually post any workouts. I'm just not going to count TRX workouts. I am afraid I will overstate my calorie burn and I would much rather underestimate than overestimate.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    You can track TRX as calisthenics or circuit training. I created a custom exercise and assigned calories based on one of those, adjusted down. I usually adjust the calorie Burn down since it's known to be overstated for most exercises.