Total 500 calories deficit

500 x 7 days = 3500 calories deficit per week
800 x 7 days = 5600 calories deficit per week

3500 calories deficit = 1 pound loss a week
5600 calories deific = 1.4 pound loss a week

Replies

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Exercise calories how to you work them out ?
  • Zara_Pi
    Zara_Pi Posts: 141 Member
    I use calculators on the internet.
    So if I go for a walk, I track the distance I walked plus how long I walked for. Then I enter the figures to calculate the calories burned.

If I go to the gym (which is a rarity, only been once), I use the calories burned figure on the machine I'm using. I normally use the treadmill or stationary bike.
  • timma300
    timma300 Posts: 25 Member
    What is your height/weight? 1400 calories seems very low for NEAT unless you are really short.

Zara_Pi wrote: »
    My caloric intake is 1200
    Normal daily activities plus BMR is about 1400 calories burned
    This creates a deficit of 200

I exercise and burn a further 300-500 calories
    Total 500 calories deficit

500 x 7 days = 3500 calories deficit per week
    800 x 7 days = 5600 calories deficit per week

3500 calories deficit = 1 pound loss a week
    5600 calories deific = 1.6 pound loss a week

But otherwise, yes. your calculations for losses are correct.
  • Zara_Pi
    I am quite short. I'm just under 5'1, and currently weigh 110 lbs.
  • timma300
    So if I go for a walk, I track the distance I walked plus how long I walked for. Then I enter the figures to calculate the calories burned.

If I go to the gym (which is a rarity, only been once), I use the calories burned figure on the machine I'm using. I normally use the treadmill or stationary bike.

For exercise, both MFP and the machines at the gym are very inaccurate. Generally people start with logging only half of the amount that MFP or machines say, and then adjusting later if the rate of loss is too fast/slow.
  • timma300
    edited March 2017
    I am quite short. I'm just under 5'1, and currently weigh 110 lbs.

Just ran your stats in a calculator and got about 1400 for sedentary, which is a good place to start unless you know your job/daily activity (not including exercise) is very active. You can always adjust it upwards later if you are losing too fast.
  • nchrty
    nchrty Posts: 57 Member
    Personally I think you should just do what you do--exercise and eat right--and not get so obsessed with figuring out complicated math calculations to determine how much you should be losing. Sounds like a great way to set yourself up for disappointment and derail your program.
  • Zara_Pi
    nchrty wrote: »
    Personally I think you should just do what you do--exercise and eat right--and not get so obsessed with figuring out complicated math calculations to determine how much you should be losing. Sounds like a great way to set yourself up for disappointment and derail your program.

That's what I am trying to do. Eat healthy and get some daily exercise. But I don't want to over do it with the exercise and lose too much too fast. (Not that there's much risk of that right now. I only manage to go for a 30 mins walk a day.)
    I don't like going to the gym, don't enjoy the treadmill.
    I'd like to start doing weight training.

I've emailed a personal trainer at my gym a few days ago and still haven't heard back. Which is a bit annoying.
  • Zara_Pi
    timma300 wrote: »

For exercise, both MFP and the machines at the gym are very inaccurate. Generally people start with logging only half of the amount that MFP or machines say, and then adjusting later if the rate of loss is too fast/slow.

When I use the treadmill for 30 mins and do moderate paced jogging, it states I've burned 500 calories. Which seems a lot.
    So I'll just halve the figure from now on.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    My next question is why someone who is only 110 lbs. needs to lose a pound a week. This is a BMI of 20.8, on the lean side of normal weight.
  • nchrty
    nchrty Posts: 57 Member
    You sound like you are on the right track, Zara. Just don't be too hard on yourself :)
  • timma300
    edited March 2017

That's what I am trying to do. Eat healthy and get some daily exercise. But I don't want to over do it with the exercise and lose too much too fast. (Not that there's much risk of that right now. I only manage to go for a 30 mins walk a day.)

I've emailed a personal trainer at my gym a few days ago and still haven't heard back. Which is a bit annoying.

Since you are already at a healthy weight, 1 lb/week would be too much for you. 1/2 lb/week would be more suitable to retain lean mass and not burn yourself out.

Also, keep in mind that 1200 calories NET is the minimum recommended calories for women. You should be eating more than 1200 to fuel your exercise, since currently you are netting 700-900 calories per day (using the burn estimates you gave, I'd say its closer to 900-1000 - still too low). There are a host of problems with netting that low, including hair loss, fatigue, and much more serious health problems later down the road.

Do you know how fast/far you run in 30mins on the treadmill? I've personally found that .72 x bodyweight x mileage is a pretty decent estimate at the number of calories burned while running.

Either way, you don't have to use the treadmill if you don't want to. I personally hate the treadmill because I get extremely bored while doing it. If you're looking for a cardio workout in the gym, you could also use stationary bikes, stairmaster, or attend fitness classes depending on what your gym offers. If you enjoy running, I find running outside is much more enjoyable.

If you'd like to start a strength training program, here is a helpful post:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308750/so-you-want-to-start-lifting-great/p1

I personally do stronglifts and love it.
  • Zara_Pi
    timma300 wrote: »

Since you are already at a healthy weight, 1 lb/week would be too much for you. 1/2 lb/week would be more suitable to retain lean mass and not burn yourself out.

Also, keep in mind that 1200 calories NET is the minimum recommended calories for women. You should be eating more than 1200 to fuel your exercise, since currently you are netting 700-900 calories per day (using the burn estimates you gave, I'd say its closer to 900-1000 - still too low). There are a host of problems with netting that low, including hair loss, fatigue, and much more serious health problems later down the road.

Do you know how fast/far you run in 30mins on the treadmill? I've personally found that .72 x bodyweight x mileage is a pretty decent estimate at the number of calories burned while running.

Either way, you don't have to use the treadmill if you don't want to. I personally hate the treadmill because I get extremely bored while doing it. If you're looking for a cardio workout in the gym, you could also use stationary bikes, stairmaster, or attend fitness classes depending on what your gym offers. If you enjoy running, I find running outside is much more enjoyable.

If you'd like to start a strength training, here is a helpful post:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308750/so-you-want-to-start-lifting-great/p1

I personally do stronglifts and love it.

That's what I thought since I don't have much to lose, 1lb a week sounds like a lot. Was worried going to the gym would create too much of a deficit if I use the treadmill.

I really want to start doing some weights as I want to get toned and gain a bit of muscle.
    Thanks for the link.