When Snacking Occasional Bad Food Choices

Options

Replies

• goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It's honestly okay. No food is really "bad" as long as your under your calorie goal.

If you want to lessen the guilt you could keep minisize items around. It would be the same thing just a smaller size.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, Does anyone ever have a day ,when you just want candy or chips or something that you know is not good for you? This happened to me today. After I do this, I feel bad about it. It doesn't happen very often, but sometimes I can't control myself.

Candy isn't really my thing as regards treats but no I never feel guilty as I realise there's a whole load of context that needs to be applied. Your overall diet and activity for example.

It's a huge leap from "not particularly good for you nutritionally" or "not optimal" to actually being bad for you.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,736 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Discussion cleaned up and re-opened. Please remember our community guidelines, which include:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse!

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, Does anyone ever have a day ,when you just want candy or chips or something that you know is not good for you? This happened to me today. After I do this, I feel bad about it. It doesn't happen very often, but sometimes I can't control myself.

Yup and when I have those days I either make it fit into my daily calorie target or count it as an overage and move on.

It does help that I live alone so when I have those days I can buy a single serving package or go to the bakery and get one cupcake. Portion control is not my strongest suit still so I have to compromise.

Don't feel bad. Treats are a part of life and we are here to enjoy life.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, the only reason to feel guilty about eating something is if you stole it :)

No one is perfect. Even all those people on FB and TV who tell you not to eat all that stuff eat all that stuff every once and awhile, LOL. Your health and your weight depend on what you do most of the time. Have a snack and enjoy it!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    ketomaniac wrote: »
    Nutritional ketosis is the only permanent solution to carbohydrate/ sugar cravings

No, those cravings are genetic because in times when it is hard to get food a high calorie food source is good no matter how many nutrients.

They never totally go away.

I fit junk into my diet, I just balance it so my macros and calories are still okay.
  • SoleTrainer60
    SoleTrainer60 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do pretty well, most days. I guess it isn't bad to enjoy goodies once in a while. I'm sure we all occasionally have days like that. :)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Cardiovascular disease, dementia, diabetes, cancer.

My aunt had Alzheimers. She ate "health food" (organic / tasteless/ mostly vegan) for a good deal of her adult life.

My friends mother died of cancer after spending most of her adult life eating "healthy" No sugar /organic /"clean eating" etc

My take aways....they missed out on a.lot of delicious yum yums and died "too soon" anyway....
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My take is this. We all gotta live and we all gotta eat. I think we all know a well rounded, healthy diet is good for us, but that's not always the reality we face when we have to make food choices. I truly believe if you are committed to your calorie deficit, you can make any food fit in your plan if you want to. That might mean blowing your deficit occasionally, or pinching in one area to endulge in another.

People who have never been overweight make these decisions much more intuitively, but I suspect they maintain a healthy weight because they regulate that process a little more naturally.

I think French Toast and candy are awesome and I don't want to live my life without them. I work every day to make sure I can keep those foods in my diet in a way I can lose (and eventually maintain) a healthy weight.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I tell you literally:

Ketosis = heaven

Glucose metabolism = hell

:laugh:

Not for me. I've lost 100lbs without ketohell. And yes, low carb/keto is murder on my digestive system. High fat (for me) causes severe abdominal pain abs screws my IBS m like nothing else.

I choose to be pain free.
  • allisonl6
    allisonl6 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I make sure to leave room for frozen yogurt with berries almost every night. It's what keeps me from eating all the cake every day :)
  • JacquiH73
    JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Nutritional ketosis is the only permanent solution to carbohydrate/ sugar cravings

I have NO desire to try a keto diet but switching from processed sugars and starches to wholefood sweet and/or starchy foods cut my craving for sugar. When I've eaten something sweet like ice cream or piece of cake and find myself craving sweets the next day if I satisfy that craving with some fresh or dried fruit and the craving goes away. I don't believe a keto diet is the only solution to sugar cravings. You have options.

Yes I do have days I junk out. Usually falls on a Sunday for some reason but I try my best to stay around my calorie goal and just log it and move on. Guilt is a waste of emotional energy.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I tell you literally:

Ketosis = heaven

Glucose metabolism = hell

Right now I'm in ketosis. High mental clarity, high energy, great memory, concentration, great mood, zero cravings, just to name a few benefits.

If eat one high carb meal, I know I'm gonna suffer. My body will switch to glucose metabolism and it will demand more sugar for energy. It will take time to readjust and re-enter ketosis.

how MUCH TIME? A day? A week? A month?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I have been working on simply not giving in to cravings. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes if I really want something sugary, and I really don't want to spend the calories on it, I distract myself with a cup of coffee, or hot herbal tea, or a drink of water and put my mind on something else. Just because you have the cravings doesn't mean you have to give in to them. (I drink my tea and coffee black/unsweetened with no milk, because I really hate to drink calories.)

This is still a journey for me so it doesn't always work, but I find myself reaching for a teacup more often... :)

The other night I was watching TV and I went to the fridge and took a can of Dr Pepper that I got for the kids. It was one of those little 8 oz cans. I set it down on the coffee table, fully intending to drink it while I watched TV. I told myself to just wait a while - don't open it yet. I soon forgot about it, and ended up putting it back in the fridge later. <3

These little victories aren't often but I'm very excited when they do happen - I have power over Dr Pepper.! LOL. Now if only I could exercise the SAME power over an opened bottle of Merlot....