Lost. Need help

Options
Wina72
Wina72 Posts: 1 Member
Hi! Im new to fitness pal and I am totally lost when it comes to what to eat or not. Besides the obvious. Any suggestions.

Replies

• CamelPuncherello
    CamelPuncherello Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

The stickies at the top of the forums are most useful for getting up to speed. If starting out, things you will want to get an overview of is calorie counting and macro break-downs (carbs vs fat vs protein), then calculating your caloric needs, and a small deficit. At that point, it becomes a tracking game, tracking everywhere you consume (including liquids) on a daily basis. MFP is great for that part, although some of the entries you'll find are wonky. Once you start seeing some results with diet, typically 2-3 weeks in, its time to research and develop an exercise routine. You can lose weight with nutrition alone, and diet is hands down the most critical, but incorporating exercise will get you there quicker and make you feel great along the way. Its good to take on one thing at a time, nutrition (diet) being the most important. Welcome to MFP and best of luck in your fitness endeavors.

I've linked to the sticky I was describing:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    DWSaad wrote: »
    Hi there.

The stickies at the top of the forums are most useful for getting up to speed. If starting out, things you will want to get an overview of is calorie counting and macro break-downs (carbs vs fat vs protein), then calculating your caloric needs, and a small deficit. At that point, it becomes a tracking game, tracking everywhere you consume (including liquids) on a daily basis. MFP is great for that part, although some of the entries you'll find are wonky. Once you start seeing some results with diet, typically 2-3 weeks in, its time to research and develop an exercise routine. You can lose weight with nutrition alone, and diet is hands down the most critical, but incorporating exercise will get you there quicker and make you feel great along the way. Its good to take on one thing at a time, nutrition (diet) being the most important. Welcome to MFP and best of luck in your fitness endeavors.

I've linked to the sticky I was describing:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

I was going to post the same thing. It really has less to do with what to eat and more to do with how much.