Are eggs in high quantities bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• jglhklhgl
    jglhklhgl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bring on the eggs! Appreciate the feedback.
  • minkatinka2017
    minkatinka2017 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist of a friend recovering from breast cancer recommended to her not more than 4-5 eggs a week, high-quality eggs ( Omega 3 eggs). I naturally dont eat more either. But they are a great source for protein, zinc, Vitamine A, D, E, B and B12. The WHO in the past have recommended 10 eggs a week (including in cooking), but recommendations vary by country.
  • melisawynn
    melisawynn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I usually eat at least a few every day. Hard boiled are so easy to grab and go so you don't grab something inappropriate. Two of us go through a couple dozen a week. Luckily I have a friend with chickens and an over abundance of eggs every week.. yippee :)
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My doc said eggs are fine and medical advice has now changed.

I have chickens in my back garden so a good supply. I eat 2-3 a day normally for breakfast, have done for the last 20 years
  • Ketolover71
    Ketolover71 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    jglhklhgl wrote: »
    I just started my diet and I'm trying to eat more protein and less carbs. I had 6 eggs yesterday, 2 scrambled and 4 boiled. Is that too much?

Eggs are high protein and no carb. I like to add veggies to my eggs. Usually spinach, all sauteed in real butter. Keeps me full most of the day.
  • Ketolover71
    Ketolover71 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    croftie4 wrote: »
    My doc said eggs are fine and medical advice has now changed.

I have chickens in my back garden so a good supply. I eat 2-3 a day normally for breakfast, have done for the last 20 years

Now I'm jealous...we used to have backyard chickens and eggs aplenty! But sold the chivkens because of raccoons getting at them.
  • Carbkiller1970
    Carbkiller1970 Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    I just started my diet and I'm trying to eat more protein and less carbs. I had 6 eggs yesterday, 2 scrambled and 4 boiled. Is that too much?

As a ketoer I live off eggs my triglycerides have drop from 150 to 49 in 6 months so I say if your low carb eggs are the way to go
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

As a ketoer I live off eggs my triglycerides have drop from 150 to 49 in 6 months so I say if your low carb eggs are the way to go

It depends. If their body is one of the 20% or so with genetics that process cholesterol differently, it could hurt them. If not they are fine.
  • tgcake
    tgcake Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    unless you are diabetic, it's fine. I had a nurse tell me that I can eat as many eggs as I want, that the thinking of them raising your cholesterol is a bunch of baloney.

I too am very curious about why it's bad for diabetics. I am insulin dependent type-2, and my doctor is perfectly fine with me eating as many eggs as I want as long as it fits within my calories.

OP: I eat 1-2 eggs a day. That's not including any eggs added to the other food I eat (like prepackaged breakfast sandwiches). When I was able to cook, I'd eat a lot more eggs every week. So yeah, eggs are okay. Variety is nice, but if you like eggs, go for it.

That said, I'd second getting a blood panel done. It's not a bad idea to get a blood panel done every now and then; it can help you spot possible/small problems before they become big problems.