I started drinking slim fast I was wondering if it helped anybody

Options
I have a really hard time with my weight so i just started slim fast has it help anybody whit the meal replacements shakes

Replies

• jEsSiE2350
    jEsSiE2350 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It helps but it's not a complete meal replacement so you may initially lose but possibly gain it back afterwards! If you are interested in meal replacements there are so many better things out there! I've tried everything and finally just settled on one of them after extensive research on it.

Thank u may i ask what u use
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It's useful for Intermittent Fasting. And the High Protein variety does double duty as a recovety beverage.
  • fubarfornow
    fubarfornow Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Not quite the same, but I use protein shakes that are about 120 calories apiece to boost my protein if I plan on eating something that doesn't have a lot of protein (after working it into my calories) because I've found that protein keeps me from being hungry. I have also used them to keep me from being too hungry if I am saving calories for an event later in the evening. I find it hard to use those sorts of things as a true meal replacement, but that's just me. I would definitely check to see how much sugar they have. And protein shakes aren't exactly the same as meal replacement foods, but there's a huge variety of both. I don't like either as a real meal replacement, but YMMV.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I keep a protein shake on hand for backup. If I'm out of time and can't meal prep I will grab and go. I agree with the other posters about it's all about creating a deficit and the other comment of it doesn't teach you to eat right.

If you're looking to lose a lb or two to fit in a dress, might be worth a shot?

Diet, water, exercise, sleep...lifestyle change=forever
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Be sure to read the ingredients. There is very little "food" to replace a meal. There are 4-5 kinds of sugar, natural and artificial, several kinds of oil, and a bunch of unpronounceable chemicals. It may be low cal and somewhat filling, but so is a great big mixed salad with with a few ounces of grilled chicken-- and it's all real food!
    Plus, it's incredibly expensive.
    Just sayin'.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »
    Be sure to read the ingredients. There is very little "food" to replace a meal. There are 4-5 kinds of sugar, natural and artificial, several kinds of oil, and a bunch of unpronounceable chemicals. It may be low cal and somewhat filling, but so is a great big mixed salad with with a few ounces of grilled chicken-- and it's all real food!
    Plus, it's incredibly expensive.
    Just sayin'.

Food is mainly made up of fats, carbs and protein. What you described sounds exactly like food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I find such shakes far better option than running out for fast food. I try to have several protein bars and shakes on hand for food emergencies. I don't use them for planned meals though.

I never did the fast food thing, but I'd eat whatever was on hand at work or grab a muffin for breakfast, even knowing they were bad choices that wouldn't be satiating for me. One thing that helps, although I don't like them as regular meals, is having something planned that I can just grab and which is easy. I actually like Soylent for this (it's bland, which I like sometimes -- if I have to work and eat at the same time I like something that just feels utilitarian, although I think my liking for it is weird and likely not something others would necessarily share). I also like a protein bar or a plain yogurt with some berries and cut up veg, whatever seems satisfying for you. I could see using Slimfast this way if it worked for you, although for me it wouldn't be particularly satisfying.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Sure did help! Made me realize they made me hungry and I needed a real answer. CICO!
  • Ajocal18
    Ajocal18 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've never used a meal replacement shake. I've tried protein shakes or bars in the past for breakfast. I would recommend eating real food that will be more filling and mentally satisfying. Something about drinking my calories isn't as satisfying as eating for me. I also agree with some of the posters above that you should try and eat real food in the beginning at least so you can learn the correct portion sizes and which foods are more filling. I think that these shakes can be good for someone on the go here and there. However using them everyday doesn't seem like a long term solution.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    They're useful mainly as a replacement to, solid foods when; having oral surgery & a great emergency/nonperishable meal if, you're ever in; a natural disaster & don't have, access to; enough food!

I drank them after, getting my; wisdom teeth removed & for added variety, I even; ate baby food! I stocked up, on them & soup cans before; Hurricane Sandy!
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I tried them and also a different protein shake and both of them made me seriously constipated. It probably doesnt do most people that way but I just cant drink them for that reason. I do better with just almond milk, fruit and cottage cheese as a shake. Just FYI.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake or bar sometimes for lunch. If you're eating something it's still a meal, if you have a hard time staying in your calories consider skipping a meal altogether
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Otto132 wrote: »
    When I first came on mfp in January, I had just started with slimfast. I had never dieted before, and I was intimidated by calorie counting and foods scales. I figured I'd try the shakes for two weeks and decide from there. For me, the shakes seemed like a good way to start if you didn't have a clue what you were doing. Within those first two weeks, I got a good scale and gradually I started learning how to count calories. Now, I would much prefer to eat my meals than drink them. But I think if it helps you get started, then go for it. It's better than doing nothing or feeling too overwhelmed with calorie counting and logging and quitting.

Yeah, I sort of did the same thing with Lean Cuisine. Portions were small and it took some getting used to, but it served as an intro to calorie counting.