New direction diet exercise?

Options
spottedpony1
spottedpony1 Posts: 6 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss

I started New Direction 800 cal. Diet on 3/7/17' so far doing well with the shake, pudding, and drink. I was starving my self before so not sure if that effect weight loss? This is 2nd week and have lost 4lbs. I have knee replacement and only 45 degree bend with that leg and a bad Achilles (may need surgery). I go to pool 3x week and walk for over 1hour and 1 of those days that a water acrob. class and exercise class with new direction staff 1 day. It is hard to do exercise out of pool, do you think I will still lose a lot of weight

Replies

• spottedpony1
    Options
    Yes I am under medical supervision, meet with them every Tuesday. Was hoping to get advice /experience from someone that make have same situation with minimal exercise
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Yes I am under medical supervision, meet with them every Tuesday. Was hoping to get advice /experience from someone that make have same situation with minimal exercise

You are meeting with your doctor once a week? I assume you are also eating vegetables and at least one meal a day along with the program's products? If you are eating 800 calories a day you will lose weight, no doubt about it. And on that few calories, talk to your doctor before you increase your exercise - that's not much fuel to exercise on.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

What are your stats? How much are you trying to lose?

When you say you are under medical supervision, do you mean your doctor or a dietitian and not a nutritionist or a rep of the diet program?

Just know that the only thing required to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Diet type is up to your own preference and does not have any magic to it.

That said, 800 calories seems way to low anyway. I can't imagine a doctor putting anyone on a diet comprised of shakes and puddings.
  • spottedpony1
    Options
    It is the dietitian at the hospital, and I stay in touch with my reg. doctor. I am trying to loose about 60 lbs. it is the VLCD, New Direction products, through the hospital. Each replacement ( pudding, beverage,soup) is 200 cal. X4 a day with 1 cup raw veg. Reg food will be added and a couple weeks- bmi36.6
  • spottedpony1
    Options
    Good to know and will see about my mood. Starting to get grumpy over not loosing more weight. But I will have to talk to them Tues.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    4 pounds in 2 weeks is great progress. You can't lose faster because you don't have more to lose. How fast did you expect to lose?
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    spottedpony1spottedpony1
    I started New Direction 800 cal. Diet on 3/7/17' so far doing well with the shake, pudding, and drink. I was starving my self before so not sure if that effect weight loss? This is 2nd week and have lost 4lbs. I have knee replacement and only 45 degree bend with that leg and a bad Achilles (may need surgery). I go to pool 3x week and walk for over 1hour and 1 of those days that a water acrob. class and exercise class with new direction staff 1 day. It is hard to do exercise out of pool, do you think I will still lose a lot of weight
    March 18, 2017 1:40PM Flag Quote · Insightful Inspiring Like Awesome

That sounds awful
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    It is the dietitian at the hospital, and I stay in touch with my reg. doctor. I am trying to loose about 60 lbs. it is the VLCD, New Direction products, through the hospital. Each replacement ( pudding, beverage,soup) is 200 cal. X4 a day with 1 cup raw veg. Reg food will be added and a couple weeks- bmi36.6

I see. Still, I'm wondering why your doctor put you on a VLCD with only 60 pounds to lose.

That said, I have never tried this one, but I did try VLCD fad diets in the past. They made me grumpy, hungry, deprived and a pain to be around. :)

P.S. I just noticed you added your avatar photo! Very cute!

I have to agree - with only 60 pounds to lose, I would have a talk with your doctor about whether such a low calorie diet is needed or appropriate.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »

I see. Still, I'm wondering why your doctor put you on a VLCD with only 60 pounds to lose.

That said, I have never tried this one, but I did try VLCD fad diets in the past. They made me grumpy, hungry, deprived and a pain to be around. :)

I have to agree - with only 60 pounds to lose, I would have a talk with your doctor about whether such a low calorie diet is needed or appropriate.

OP's bmi is 36.6 This is morbidly obese. Probably they have more than 60lbs to lose in total. But just 60 on this diet.

A 5'1" woman would be in the healthy range at 132 and have a 36.5 BMI at 193. A VLCD does seem extreme at that size.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Your hospital would they really put you in a vlcd most hate them I did one last year wrecked my immune system lost memory lapses hair fell out gum problems periods mess up

You should be advised to lose weight on 1200 of real food I know I've been there I got really ill
    Then there's gallstone risk

Maybe say can you eat real food as you need to learn a healthy lifestyle etc
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    RAinWA wrote: »

OP's bmi is 36.6 This is morbidly obese. Probably they have more than 60lbs to lose in total. But just 60 on this diet.

Your not advised so much to aim for such a low bmi as in the uk doctors are talking about going by waist measurements I was 167lbs 5 ft 2 and in a is size 8-10 bmi isn't factoring in muscle weight
    Tell a body builder he's morbidly obese as his bmi would be high
  • kushunarodriguez
    kushunarodriguez Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    spottedpony1spottedpony1
    March 18, 2017 1:40PM Flag Quote · Insightful Inspiring Like Awesome
  • kushunarodriguez
    kushunarodriguez Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You did the right thing by seeing a doctor. I'm doing the same thing with the New Direction products. I'm on the LCD with 900-1000 cal/day. I weigh in weekly, with a medical assessment in the fourth week, as this is a ketogenic diet.

I think as long as you stick to your goals, communicate with the staff at your clinic, and keep being accountable with calorie intake/burn, you'll have steady weight loss every week. Don't push yourself harder than you are ready to, or you will injure yourself more! I'm athletic by nature (in other words, I am overweight; but people can't really tell because of my muscle mass), so when I feel that a workout isn't making me sweat or grunt, I will add weight or push myself harder. Bad move. I injured my knees so bad a few weeks ago, so much that they popped every few steps. I've been working on form instead of intensity since then, and increasing my time so I can work on form even more.

I had a sleeve gastrectomy in 2012, but started gaining some of the weight back after starting anxiety meds. I was so scared to go back to my surgeon, but my motto has always been, "stop being a wuss!" And it was time to listen to my own advice for a change. I got soooo emotional on that visit. He praised me for wanting to get help, and referred me to the clinic.

It's been a tough road, as I work night shift, and I'm sensitive to a high protein diet. I try to work out 6 days a week/burn at least 500 cal/day, but constipation and bloating had set me back for a few weeks. Now my goals include at least 25 grams of insoluble protein and 128 oz water (1 gallon). Now I'm steadily losing 2 lbs/week. I can't complain!
  • spottedpony1
    Options
    Thank you kushunarodri
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    You did the right thing by seeing a doctor. I'm doing the same thing with the New Direction products. I'm on the LCD with 900-1000 cal/day. I weigh in weekly, with a medical assessment in the fourth week, as this is a ketogenic diet.

I think as long as you stick to your goals, communicate with the staff at your clinic, and keep being accountable with calorie intake/burn, you'll have steady weight loss every week. Don't push yourself harder than you are ready to, or you will injure yourself more! I'm athletic by nature (in other words, I am overweight; but people can't really tell because of my muscle mass), so when I feel that a workout isn't making me sweat or grunt, I will add weight or push myself harder. Bad move. I injured my knees so bad a few weeks ago, so much that they popped every few steps. I've been working on form instead of intensity since then, and increasing my time so I can work on form even more.

I had a sleeve gastrectomy in 2012, but started gaining some of the weight back after starting anxiety meds. I was so scared to go back to my surgeon, but my motto has always been, "stop being a wuss!" And it was time to listen to my own advice for a change. I got soooo emotional on that visit. He praised me for wanting to get help, and referred me to the clinic.

It's been a tough road, as I work night shift, and I'm sensitive to a high protein diet. I try to work out 6 days a week/burn at least 500 cal/day, but constipation and bloating had set me back for a few weeks. Now my goals include at least 25 grams of insoluble protein and 128 oz water (1 gallon). Now I'm steadily losing 2 lbs/week. I can't complain!

kushunarodri, your doctor put you on a VLCD because you started to gain weight back? That does not make sense, because weight gain means to simply cut back a bit on calories until you find your maintenance again. That 900 to 1000 is drastic.
This discussion has been closed.