Emotional Eater looking for friends (PLEASE HELP)

Options
Kasha0903
Kasha0903 Posts: 4 Member
edited March 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hi Everyone I'm New to the community In search of some new friends willing to keep each other motivated. I suffer from emotional eating and truly ready for change. Any advice for me is greatly appreciated also please add me

Replies

• tallgirlcindy532
    tallgirlcindy532 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I need help to when I am home alone I think I need to eat
  • bpeters1989
    bpeters1989 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Water really helps to full you up. Also keeping distracted. When I feel like I am going to eat when I'm not hungry I go to the gym or for a walk. Sometimes dance videos help to to keep your mind off of everything going on and have fun too. You can find lots on youtube.
  • Kasha0903
    Options
    Thanks so much bpeters I'm going to try walking with my baby when I feel hungry
  • laura__tiu
    laura__tiu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater too - any time I'm stressed or anxious I go for the sweets. It's sooo hard but distraction is really the only thing that works for me. And hot tea at night. So much of controlling it is a mind game.
  • chuckleberry72
    chuckleberry72 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I eat carrots and pickles now. Very few calories in both of those.
  • zorahgail
    zorahgail Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Fellow emotional eater here too. Here's my favorite practice for learning to feel feelings, which eventually led to less emotional eating.

This was created by one of my mentors, Sally Hope, and she calls it the LOVE Technique.

L – Let whatever feelings that are there FULLY be there. Really feel them and let them wash over you. Say: “I’m experiencing the feeling of _______”

O – Observe. Observe where in your body your feel these feelings. Ask “where in my body do I feel this right now?” and “what does it feel like?” Keep feeling that feeling in your body.

If you truly feel it, and observe and feel it in the body, the emotion if likely to shift into…

V – Vulnerability. This is the next level emotion (closer to truth, hence the word vulnerability) underneath the one you started with. Ask “What’s here now?” And then go back to “L” by then letting that feeling be there.

There isn’t ALWAYS another feeling underneath the one you started with, so if not, just keep feeling the original one.

You’ll know you’re done with the exercise when you get to “E” which is...

E – Ease. You’ll know you’re done with the exercise when you feel a sense of ease or calm. You might still feel the emotion, but it won’t have the same hold on you that it did before.

That’s when you know you’re done. If you don’t get to ease, it’s likely there is still an emotion that you haven’t let yourself feel yet.
  • greenhydrangea
    greenhydrangea Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Me too. I am back to MFP after a long period of stress and emotional eating. I agree that water helps. Also, low calorie snacks, carrots, pickles, like chuckleberry said, and I like celery and cucumber. I slice them up and always have them on hand.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Check out the Emotional Eating group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1012-emotional-eating

I keep meaning to post there, although I haven't really participated, since emotional eating is something I struggle with off and on.

One thing I found helpful was journaling and really keeping track of what the triggers were when I wanted to eat and then working on ways to respond to that. It also helps me when I eat according to a regular schedule (three meals and maybe a snack if I am working out heavily). Once I lose the expectation of eating at other times it is easier to resist the desire to do so if something comes up.

Mindful eating and working on sitting with emotions (I actually recommend checking out the Calm app if you have access, it's been really helpful for me) are also things that I use.
  • shaunaburkhard
    shaunaburkhard Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater too. I lost my dad in April of 2013 and my mom in April of 2014. The stress of caring for two sick parents and then losing them both was filled with depression, grief, and anxiety..and I turned to food for comfort. I'm now trying to get back to looking at food in a healthier way. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Mrmiller0422
    Mrmiller0422 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Kasha0903 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone I'm New to the community In search of some new friends willing to keep each other motivated. I suffer from emotional eating and truly ready for change. Any advice for me is greatly appreciated also please add me

I am not an emotional eater I have a lot of stress from work and my ex when I get stressed out I go for the hard liquor had I don't know what to do you all can add me hand maybe we can help each other through private message
  • spritemondawmin
    spritemondawmin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Same here. I eat when I am stressed. I eat when I am happy. I am trying to figure out a way to change my relationship with food. Any thoughts?
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Kasha0903 wrote: »

You're not going to stop getting emotional. You need to change what you DO when that happens. Next time, put on some good music (always gets me in a good mood), put on your headphones and go for a walk. I guarantee you'll be a different person when you're done.
  • indy87colts
    indy87colts Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sweets are my killers also....
    laura__tiu wrote: »
    I'm an emotional eater too - any time I'm stressed or anxious I go for the sweets. It's sooo hard but distraction is really the only thing that works for me. And hot tea at night. So much of controlling it is a mind game.

• Tylerman35
    Tylerman35 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I eat carrots and pickles now. Very few calories in both of those.

Question - I'm new here so forgive me. But aren't pickles really high in sodium? Or is it okay to eat in moderation?
  • Kasha0903
    Options
    I'm so grateful to see all these wonderful replies and ideas that I can do to cope with the emotional eating n to see that I'm not alone and there's many others out there like me thank you all so much I'm definitely going to try the cucumbers and celery also the headphones are taking a walk
  • Kasha0903
    Options
    zorahgail wrote: »
    Fellow emotional eater here too. Here's my favorite practice for learning to feel feelings, which eventually led to less emotional eating.

This was created by one of my mentors, Sally Hope, and she calls it the LOVE Technique.

L – Let whatever feelings that are there FULLY be there. Really feel them and let them wash over you. Say: “I’m experiencing the feeling of _______”

O – Observe. Observe where in your body your feel these feelings. Ask “where in my body do I feel this right now?” and “what does it feel like?” Keep feeling that feeling in your body.

If you truly feel it, and observe and feel it in the body, the emotion if likely to shift into…

V – Vulnerability. This is the next level emotion (closer to truth, hence the word vulnerability) underneath the one you started with. Ask “What’s here now?” And then go back to “L” by then letting that feeling be there.

There isn’t ALWAYS another feeling underneath the one you started with, so if not, just keep feeling the original one.

You’ll know you’re done with the exercise when you get to “E” which is...

E – Ease. You’ll know you’re done with the exercise when you feel a sense of ease or calm. You might still feel the emotion, but it won’t have the same hold on you that it did before.

That’s when you know you’re done. If you don’t get to ease, it’s likely there is still an emotion that you haven’t let yourself feel yet.

This was awesome thanks so much
  • CaptainPepperJack
    CaptainPepperJack Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    no judgment here, but we can find another outlet for emotions, like you can write it all down in a journal, or try something like art, painting or drawing etc - even if you have never done it before give it a try! if you are a spiritual person you can get a prayer app where you can write down your thoughts/prayers etc. Gum and water are awesome for helping with hunger. add me if you want to. I've been there. Especially when I have been stressed, I tend to not choose healthy foods, so I'm trying to focus on changing that myself