Couch to 5K on treadmill vs. outdoors

Options
2»

Replies

• caramel827
    caramel827 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

If you find a leap intimidating, try splitting the difference. When the program jumped from 10 to 25 minutes, I didn't think I could do it, so I did something like 16 minutes x 2 instead. Then the next time I did the 25 minutes. I was amazed and thrilled to find out I could do it. So maybe do 6 + 7 + 6 instead of 8 x 2. [/quote]

That is so helpful! I felt like I was cheating if I paused but you are right! I just read somewhere to go at my own pace- slow and steady wins the race!!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I tend to run faster outside. Regardless I am a 'slow' runner. On the treadmill I run longer stretches between 4.6-5 (generally start at 4.8 and go up or down depending on how I feel). Outside it feels natural to run at what time/distance tells me is about 6 mph. But that leaves me feeling winded by mile 2. Yet if I force a slower pace (5.5 mph or so) then I can go much further.

So go slower to see if that helps you go further. For outside runs you could also back up a week in your plan.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    caramel827 wrote: »
    That makes sense about the movement! I honestly don't think I'm a runner nor will ever be. I enjoy walking 5Ks and lost 100 pounds doing so. I will walk in the cold but oddly the running thing just isn't for me so perhaps it isn't about the weather. I guess I have to forgive myself for not loving it lol. But I'm not giving up! I plan to run at least one!

Why do you think you aren't a runner, or that it isn't for you? If you don't like running, then don't force yourself to do it. There are lots of great exercises that don't involve running, and walking is good too. You should strive for an exercise routine that you can maintain over the long haul, and if you don't like your exercise, you won't want to keep it up.

But if you think you aren't a runner because it's difficult, don't worry. Everyone starts somewhere. I had never run a step outside high school gym class when I started C25K. That first minute of running was the hardest run I've ever done in my life. I finished my first 5k in just under 45 minutes and it was a huge accomplishment. Since then, I've gotten a lot faster and I run farther now, but I'm still in about the middle or later in the pack of every race. I'm a runner because I run, regardless of how slow or how far. I keep it up because I still feel accomplished when I finish a run, because it doesn't bore me like most exercise does, and because it's helped me lose 95 pounds so far.

Treadmill is a really, really different thing from running outside. I'm used to running outside, up to half marathons, and yet I can't make it a mile on a treadmill without stopping. It hurts my legs in ways that don't happen when I'm outside. If you want to transition to outdoor running, I would suggest going back a few weeks in the program. Run for two or three minutes at a time instead of five. Treat it as though you're doing something new (which you are!). Try to run outside if you can. Layers of clothes are fine. A general rule is to dress for 20 degrees warmer than it actually is, because your body generates a lot of heat while you're running. Ideally, you're slightly cool when you start running, but you can always take layers off. Here is one suggested layering system. It's a bit overkill for me--I'm not sure I've ever worn three layers while running--but if you hate the cold, it might work for you.

layeringinfographic4.jpg
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's way harder outside. I got up to speed on the treadmill but have yet to complete an outdoor one. You just gotta decide if you're going to go for it.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I did C25K last year at the tender age of 55. I am in good shape from swimming, cycling, ellipticating, lifting weights, etc., but I am not a great runner. Yet, somehow, I can now run a 5K comfortably, if slowly. Here is my advice:

No problem using a treadmill. It's a great way to build stamina. I'd leave it flat. (Running is hard enough.) When you start to run outdoors, going to a track or other area where the surface is flat is a good idea.

Consider getting a heart rate monitor. (Mine is from Wahoo Fitness and it connects to your phone. There are tons of choices, including fitbits, etc.) Here is a short article about it.

The C25K approach is great. One thing not clearly stated is that you don't have to go through the workouts one by one. You can repeat or go back based on how you feel. Stay on one level for a while, if necessary. There's no rush.

Now finally about speed: One thing about the treadmill is you have total control of it. You should be able to walk in the range of 3-4MPH. If you can't, you might want to do C25K where you are alternating walking at 3 and going to 4MPH (not running) for the fast intervals. Still a great workout, and you can increase incline as you get stronger. As for running speed, it's hard to call anything slower than 5MPH running (or even jogging). Many people can walk that fast. If you can't run at or above 5MPH for a 1 minute interval, then I think you should stick to working up your walking endurance, which is still a great workout.

Best of luck!

This is all great advice until the last paragraph. Speed is a very individual thing which will vary with weight, height, and fitness level. I walk 3 mph. My short little legs don't move my 220 lb self any faster than that and it has not stopped me from doing C25K. I am currently doing a 10K program and still only run 4 mph. I use a HRM and know if I run faster I will wear myself out. Telling beginning runners they need to go a certain speed is setting them up for misery or injury. Running vs. walking is not defined by speed but by movement. Walking has one foot on the ground, while running gets both feet off the ground.

I don't know anything about treadmills, OP. Someone gave me an exercise bike and it bored me to death. I've been running outside all winter in rain and snow in temperatures as low as 20 F. I use this to figure out how to dress.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options

This is all great advice until the last paragraph. Speed is a very individual thing which will vary with weight, height, and fitness level. I walk 3 mph. My short little legs don't move my 220 lb self any faster than that and it has not stopped me from doing C25K.

Hey, no diss and many congratulations!

My suggestion is that, below a certain speed, why not stick to walking? Still great exercise and easier on the joints.
  • caramel827
    Options
    I tend to run faster outside. Regardless I am a 'slow' runner. On the treadmill I run longer stretches between 4.6-5 (generally start at 4.8 and go up or down depending on how I feel). Outside it feels natural to run at what time/distance tells me is about 6 mph. But that leaves me feeling winded by mile 2. Yet if I force a slower pace (5.5 mph or so) then I can go much further.

So go slower to see if that helps you go further. For outside runs you could also back up a week in your plan.

You were so right!! Today I did a 5K where I "wogged" (i.e. Walked and jogged) I tackled Week 4 Day 3 on the C25K app which is a jump from a 6min run to 8min and I did it!! I did it outdoors!!! The difference was I didn't worry about speed. I know I was doing a light jog barely but it is more than when I walk and I really want to focus on my endurance. As someone mentioned it's not a race for me to complete the app. I'm taking my time! Slow and steady wins the race just like with weight loss!
  • caramel827
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    That makes sense about the movement! I honestly don't think I'm a runner nor will ever be. I enjoy walking 5Ks and lost 100 pounds doing so. I will walk in the cold but oddly the running thing just isn't for me so perhaps it isn't about the weather. I guess I have to forgive myself for not loving it lol. But I'm not giving up! I plan to run at least one!

Why do you think you aren't a runner, or that it isn't for you? If you don't like running, then don't force yourself to do it. There are lots of great exercises that don't involve running, and walking is good too. You should strive for an exercise routine that you can maintain over the long haul, and if you don't like your exercise, you won't want to keep it up.

But if you think you aren't a runner because it's difficult, don't worry. Everyone starts somewhere. I had never run a step outside high school gym class when I started C25K. That first minute of running was the hardest run I've ever done in my life. I finished my first 5k in just under 45 minutes and it was a huge accomplishment. Since then, I've gotten a lot faster and I run farther now, but I'm still in about the middle or later in the pack of every race. I'm a runner because I run, regardless of how slow or how far. I keep it up because I still feel accomplished when I finish a run, because it doesn't bore me like most exercise does, and because it's helped me lose 95 pounds so far.

Treadmill is a really, really different thing from running outside. I'm used to running outside, up to half marathons, and yet I can't make it a mile on a treadmill without stopping. It hurts my legs in ways that don't happen when I'm outside. If you want to transition to outdoor running, I would suggest going back a few weeks in the program. Run for two or three minutes at a time instead of five. Treat it as though you're doing something new (which you are!). Try to run outside if you can. Layers of clothes are fine. A general rule is to dress for 20 degrees warmer than it actually is, because your body generates a lot of heat while you're running. Ideally, you're slightly cool when you start running, but you can always take layers off. Here is one suggested layering system. It's a bit overkill for me--I'm not sure I've ever worn three layers while running--but if you hate the cold, it might work for you.

layeringinfographic4.jpg

I love this chart! Thank you! I am a layer person lol. Today when I ran (and you know what you are right I am a runner even if slow
  • caramel827
    Options

This is all great advice until the last paragraph. Speed is a very individual thing which will vary with weight, height, and fitness level. I walk 3 mph. My short little legs don't move my 220 lb self any faster than that and it has not stopped me from doing C25K.

Hey, no diss and many congratulations!

My suggestion is that, below a certain speed, why not stick to walking? Still great exercise and easier on the joints.

I think the reason I wanted to start running versus walking is the thrill of competition- not with others but myself. Years ago I would have NEVER imagined doing anything remotely related to a 5K. At 249 pounds and 5'6 it was enough to imagine walking to the car!! So I think I just wanted to stretch myself while embracing the fact that before all my movement was to lose weight but now I really do it for fun and to maintain my health. So I shall jog and wave at those running by lol.But one day I will run too!! Thanks for replying!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Personally, I hate the "dread"mill. One of the things I love about running is being outside - going to different area parks, soaking in some nature. I have a stressful desk job. Running outside in the morning - when it is quiet just before the people and sun comes up - helps me start my day in a positive way. :)
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I started Couch to 5K four weeks ago. I usually walk 5Ks at a leisurely pace and say my goal is complete- not to compete. I will keep that goal even while jogging but here is my issue.

I live in Ohio and right now the weather is up and down. I do NOT like to be outdoors in the cold. Ever. but recognizing 5Ks are outdoors I have run into a problem. When I do Couch to 5K on the treadmill I can get through each daily routine but when I go outside I get so winded! I am at a duration of five minutes and inside I can push through. Outside not so much. I find myself tired and stopping.... which upsets me.

A friend told me to make sure my incline is up high which I have been doing. I don't run fast on the treadmill or outside. 4.5 at the most just a jog.

Any tips?! I feel like I won't make it!!

I'm a beginning runner too. I live in Pennsylvania where we also have very snowy winters.

One thing that I discovered by accident that helps my endurance is jogging in place (or jogging at over a short distance, like around my living room). I started to do this in my house because it was too icy to drive to the gym or walk/run outside. I find some music I like on youtube that will last about an hour (you have to stop to click off the ads) -- right now I'm listening to fast paced Spanish guitar but anything else would work. When I was able to finally drive through the ice to the gym, I was surprised that my endurance had gone up a lot.
  • browsingchiklet
    browsingchiklet Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    mayafit405 wrote: »
    It might have to do with the surfaces. A treadmill has a softer more even consitancy than say cement or dirt . I would mix it up

That's what I do, if the weather is decent, I do one day outside, one day on the treadmill, and have a rest day. It will take me longer to get through the program. I thought I would hate the treadmill, but I have learned to tolerate it. My pace is faster than when I am outside, but on my outside days I just cut back the pace a bit so I don't get frustrated. Soon enough, we will be all be able to run outside :)