What do you think about clean Bulk?

Options
I had an acl surgery 4 month ago and I started to lift again a month ago. I lost alot of weight and I want to get them back while recovering from my surgery. However bulking and cutting is no Option for me because I don' t want to infere with my recovering with eating crappy food. On the other side it's so hard to get calories from clean Foods. What is you opinion about this?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    "clean" bulk is a meaningless term.

To bulk you need an excess of calories. From whatever food you choose. To bulk without excessive fat gain, have a small surplus. To bulk more quickly, with more fat gain, have a bigger surplus. Food type is irrelevant.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm sure the OP is using the term in this way, but, some call a bulk where you try and minimize fat gains a "clean bulk".
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    I had an acl surgery 4 month ago and I started to lift again a month ago. I lost alot of weight and I want to get them back while recovering from my surgery. However bulking and cutting is no Option for me because I don' t want to infere with my recovering with eating crappy food. On the other side it's so hard to get calories from clean Foods. What is you opinion about this?
    Explain exactly how eating "crappy" food is going to interfere with recovery? Like does your ACL feed off of something from "crappy" foods that will deter recovery?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm sure the OP is using the term in this way, but, some call a bulk where you try and minimize fat gains a "clean bulk".
    Minimize fat gains by ensuring the surplus isn't too large.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It seems like the assumption is that 'bulking' is just eating everything you see. That's a 'bro' bulk ;)

A 'clean' or better yet 'lean bulk' just means eating slightly above maintenance, but if you ain't lifting or doing some type of resistance, those extra calories are just gonna be fat.

It is not hard to get calories from 'clean' foods, have two avocados, a steak, some beans, don't forget cooking oil, oh ya nuts. My goodness I could go over calories just looking at nuts.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I prefer eating "clean" foods in a bulk, but it's because I am a volume eater. I can run an EC stack, and still manage to happily plow down 4000+ kcals of plain chicken boob, salmon, potatoes, oats and multiple pounds of vegetables in a day.

For others, this results in misery, and they'd be better off incorporating more calorically dense foods.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    A clean bulk is when you eat within a limited surplus goal not specifically eating "clean" foods.

Personally I eat what I crave and hit my macros minimums.

Eat your calories, fill your macros, get sleep, and get enough recovery time in between your current workout regime for your goals and you'll be fine regardless what food you eat and you'll be fine.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Sufficient Vitamins and Minerals have shown to help with recovering from injuries of many different types. It has to do with things that are deeper than my knowledge-- enzymes bonding, inflammation, etc. Research and make sure that you are getting enough of key micronutrients. if that means one salad a day, eating animal liver and supplements, then so be it but I doubt that it will require that much effort at all.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Explain exactly how eating "crappy" food is going to interfere with recovery? Like does your ACL feed off of something from "crappy" foods that will deter recovery?

You need proper nutrition.

You can't seriously think a diet full of pop tarts is going to give you the same benefit as a diet rich in fresh meat, vegetables and fruits.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

You need proper nutrition.

You can't seriously think a diet full of pop tarts is going to give you the same benefit as a diet rich in fresh meat, vegetables and fruits.

Because there's absolutely no possible alternative to those two extremes, right?