Burning out.

Options
I have been at this seriously and consistently since April 2016. I have lost 60 pounds in that time and I am really happy for myself. I have 40 pounds to go until I re-evaluate my goal and figure out exactly where I want to be. From January until now I find myself having more "bad" days than good. My motivation and determination is waivering. Last year I had a traumatic event happen in my marriage and shortly after my sister that I care for had a stroke. Life isn't so crazy and is starting to level out a bit. I am not sure if that has something to do with it. I have found myself up and down the same 4 pounds for 3 months. Anyone have any advice on finding my groove again? A mind reset? I do want this very badly and want to get a handle on this. Thank you.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a diet break. Take a week off, reset your mind and focus on your goals.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a diet break. Take a week off, reset your mind and focus on your goals.

I agree. But I must admit I am a little nervous about doing that. So often in the past for myself and others I witness a little break turn into 20 pounds and "what have done?"
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    A week is all most people need so unless you go berserk with your diet you should be ok.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I went off for "a week" and gained 20#. I come on daily, log daily, and read motivation and maintenance boards daily. You've come too far to slip now. Since you've been stalled for 3 months it sounds like you've found maintenance. Log what you're eating on slip days and you can calculate maintenance with a little math.

Then, you can choose to eat the few hundred or so extra calories for maintenance, or cut down to your weight loss calories. You have a choice- commit to this life style change, or risk gaining back the weight you've lost. Not much of a choice just do you can have a larger portion size or some cookies and cake. Is it?
  • fubarfornow
    fubarfornow Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have had those burnout moments too. I've been doing this since December 2015, and other than Christmas Eve and Day of 2016 (when I counted calories but couldn't log in to MFP) I have logged every day. I've lost 83 lbs so far, and have at least another 30 to go. I start having problems when I don't give myself any planned breaks for a long time. Eventually, my subconscious starts taking them for me. So, with the advice of my dietician, I take a one-meal break every couple of weeks, and eat something I really want (within reason). I try to save calories for those as well, but even if I don't, I don't sweat it too much. I don't see anything wrong with taking a longer break, if you need it. Maybe you can just eat at maintenance for a while. That way you can still have a break, and not lose the ground you've gained.
  • bluecrush84
    bluecrush84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Get a reasonable and doable plan. No stress. Get your daily calories or macros set, then set a workout plan. Keep it simple. Then do it. Stop thinking about the past and just focus on right now. Then do it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    cathipa wrote: »

I agree. But I must admit I am a little nervous about doing that. So often in the past for myself and others I witness a little break turn into 20 pounds and "what have done?"

You can stop that from happening though...