Keto?

Options
Considering trying Keto. Anyone have some stories good or bad to share about it? Do those of you that do it still track your calories or just your net carbs?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Hi *kitten* tart.

Weight loss, maintenance or gain is all about calories.

To lose bodyfat you need to be in a deficit of energy (calories). The body is forced in to making up that deficit by using some of it's stored energy (bodyfat). No magic, no smoke and mirrors, no tricks.

Keto is just one of the many ways of eating to attain said calorie deficit.
  • p_fitnesslife
    p_fitnesslife Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Track your macro and don't go over your calorie maintenance requirement to lose weight. Example I'm consuming 2500 calorie. 5% carbs 20-30% Protein and 70-80% Fats depending on the day, but I never go over my calorie maintenance. If you stop dropping weight just add 15-20 minutes cardio or take 10% from fat. If you need more opinion go check out some youtube video and I hope my experience help a little.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Start with considering why you think keto would be a good strategy for you. To lose weight, all you need is a constent calorie deficit. You can achieve that with or without keto.
  • Sara3434
    Sara3434 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I do keto/low carb have done since January this year. So far so good, loads of energy, sleeping better, minimal cravings (still get a want for sugar) and bonus point I have lost 23lb. BUT yes you do still have to watch your calories. it would be unrealistic to say you can eat keto, 5000calories and still lose weight .......NO doesn't work still count your calories.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I started keto about two years ago for health reasons. I follow it to help manage prediabetes, lower inflammationa nd help with autoimmune issues. I continue with it for the ease of weight management, better skin and hair, better cognition, higher and steadier energy.

I'll keep doing it.

While losing I loosely tracked calories and kept total carbs under 30g (usually under 20). I never watched net carbs, just total.

Make sure you increase sodium when you start. You'll need 3000-5000mg of sodium per day to replace the electrolytes you'll lose with the water weight. That's about 2 teaspoons of table salt per day. If you get headaches, fatigue, nausea, muscle aches or weakness, your electrolytes are too low.

Good luck.
  • simadawn
    simadawn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Doing keto since Feb 4th , keeping below 20 net carbs a day plus no sucalose products and added 30 min of treadmill 3 times a week, lost 30 lbs so far, daughter is also doing same but she started in january, she has lost almost 60lbs. Think I'll stick with this and see where it goes.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I started keto about 15 months go to help with PCOS with insulin resistance and read that it could also be helpful for my MS. For me it helped with weight loss and PCOS symptoms but I was pleasantly surprised it also helped with satiety/compliance, dramatically reduced joint pain, reduced reflux and other GI issues. I plan to stay LCHF for life though I haven't yet decided at what level.

I did track calories along with macros. I didn't go quite as low carb as some keto'ers; I tried to stay under 20-30 gm net carbs per day, sometimes up to 40 net. (Macros have generally been 10-15% total carbs, 60-65% fat, 25% protein.)
  • magge7710
    magge7710 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Keto is definitely the way to go. Insulin is the main driver of fat accumulation, keto lowers your insulin levels and the fat then just drops off you. Started Jan 1, have lost 35lbs. And, more importantly, for the first time on any diet ever: i'm not starving, tired, cranky, and cold.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    magge7710 wrote: »
    Keto is definitely the way to go. Insulin is the main driver of fat accumulation, keto lowers your insulin levels and the fat then just drops off you. Started Jan 1, have lost 35lbs. And, more importantly, for the first time on any diet ever: i'm not starving, tired, cranky, and cold.

The bold is completely false. Fat is driven by calories.. not insulin. You can still gain weight on ketogenic diets and your body has multiple hormones/enzymes to store nutrients.

OP, it depends on your personality. Do you think a restrictive diet will help you with compliance/dietary adherence? What foods tend to cause you to over eat? What foods would have you struggle to over eat?

And you generally look at net carbs.

Also, at worse, you can try low carb and transition into keto for awhile to see if it's sustainable.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Keto lifer here. It works for me (eliminated 167 pounds in 22.5 months - am now 8 months into maintenance). I track both calories and carbs.

I suggest you check out the following main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group