Using apps during race?

Options
powellkj
powellkj Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
So I don't usually race with my phone, but I use map my fitness when I'm out for a regular run. I really love hearing my splits though and I'm considering taking it with me during my next 5K.

So my questions are has anyone tried this? How did you start the app at the beginning of the race without slowing yourself down? And did you find it distracting to have earphones during a race? I would hate for the earphones to dull the race excitement since that really helps me get my best times. Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's not something I've ever considered as I don't use apps for training.

I tend to just keep an eye on my pace at each mile marker when my watch buzzes.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Step 1 is to find out of the race you're running allows headphones. Many do not.

After that, I'd just run a few times with the setup you're planning on and see if it works for you. I haven't done it, but I can see how having my usual running music on would be helpful. Just keep it turned low so you can still hear what's going on around you.
  • Rerun4733
    Rerun4733 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a watch that gives you the data you want? Plenty of inexpensive watches are available that could help you stay on pace. Garmin and others have watches that capture all sorts of data, sync with your phone post race, and display a map of your run on their Garmin Connect portal afterwards.
  • rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It sounds like headphones would be a bad idea for you, even if they are allowed at your race. UKA has recently banned most kinds of headphones for races, and I imagine athletics unions in many other countries will have taken similar measures.

Before I bought a running watch, I used to let Endomondo bark split times at me from in my pocket using my phone speakers. You might feel self-conscious about that during a race, but runners can't afford to feel self-conscious!

As for starting it, I can think of two options. Either start it early and put it away just before the start, or before the race practice putting it away while running so it doesn't hinder you on race day. You'll probably be hindered by other runners at the start anyway, so it shouldn't slow you down much.

EDIT: I just noticed this post is in the Fitness and Exercise board. Would you like to join the Long Distance Runners group?
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The only time I've raced with my phone is if I didn't have someone at the start I could pass my stuff to, and the marathon - so I could text/find my people cheering me on. Definitely don't do headphones. It'll be so much more exciting being in the atmosphere. As for splits - a watch would be ideal. If it's a big race, I take note of the time I started the line vs. chip time and just do the math in my head between each mile. You can get a great, simple watch cheap - just check amazon. Timex is reliable and affordable.

ETA: I don't like having anything extra when I run. No music/phone etc. I only carry my phone because I feel like I have to for safety reasons. Just in case. I love hearing the sounds of the lake the traffic, the birds, people.. etc
  • rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    The only time I've raced with my phone is if I didn't have someone at the start I could pass my stuff to, and the marathon - so I could text/find my people cheering me on. Definitely don't do headphones. It'll be so much more exciting being in the atmosphere. As for splits - a watch would be ideal. If it's a big race, I take note of the time I started the line vs. chip time and just do the math in my head between each mile. You can get a great, simple watch cheap - just check amazon. Timex is reliable and affordable.

ETA: I don't like having anything extra when I run. No music/phone etc. I only carry my phone because I feel like I have to for safety reasons. Just in case. I love hearing the sounds of the lake the traffic, the birds, people.. etc

I second the idea of getting a watch. I bought a Polar M400 in new condition (but unboxed) from eBay for £60, and it has only been off my wrist for charging and software updates ever since! I love it - running data, activity data and phone notifications. Polar data is a bit tricky to get into other web apps, but it does sync with MFP, and there are ways of getting your data out if you are determined and don't mind spending a couple of pounds on an app.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I used to use my phone for races before I got my Garmin (before that I used a Polar watch as well). I had the same issue starting the activity so I tried a few things... I first got an Android watch which turned out to not work so well - battery issues. Then I got a Pebble watch which worked 'sometimes' (when it wouldn't lose connection with my phone). I finally gave up and went back to a real tracking watch.

BTW - If the race does not allow headphones, I don't run in it. This is especially true for longer races. No way I'm running 3+ hours without some serious rock & roll. >:)
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I use MapmyRun to record my runs and normally it's brilliant. I ran the Bath Half last weekend and I just couldn't hear what my splits were though as the race was so loud (I don't use earphones). For my next Half, I want to get under 2 hours so have gone back to using a Garmin so I can see my pace all the time. I used to use a Garmin 305 for years, but switched to MapMyRun for easiness sake. Have just bought a Garmin 220 though, which syncs up to MapMyRun.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin Vivosmart HR+ and keep my phone in a Spibelt. I like to use music to help me keep pace but i keep the volume down a bit so I can still hear what's going on around me.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't use headphones - just turn the volume up so you can hear the app. When lining up for the race I open the app get everything ready and as I am crossing the start line, which is usually slower anyway since everyone is bunched up, hit the start and then stick my phone in my flipbelt as I am building up speed. The only thing for me is to remember to take it out and turn it off as soon as I cross the finish line.
  • Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    A little different because I'm a cyclist and have a bike computer mounted to my handle bars that's tracks all my race data and uploads it to the strava app. But I usually carry my phone as well. My smart watch can upload to the app of my choice and if I was a runner, that is probably all I would carry.

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    powellkj wrote: »
    So I don't usually race with my phone, but I use map my fitness when I'm out for a regular run. I really love hearing my splits though and I'm considering taking it with me during my next 5K.

So my questions are has anyone tried this? How did you start the app at the beginning of the race without slowing yourself down? And did you find it distracting to have earphones during a race? I would hate for the earphones to dull the race excitement since that really helps me get my best times. Thanks!

If you like running and plan to keep doing it, get a Garmin watch. You can probably get the Forerunner 220 pretty cheap. So much better than an app. I did use Map My Run when I first started, but by the time I started racing, I got my 1st Garmin. If you arent sure about continuing with running, then just use map my run, Strava, or whatever you normally use.

I personally like music during road races, but I use wireless headphones. It's not distracting to me at all. I will create a playlist for each distance if race I do. There are certain songs I know I run faster to so I'll have those songs strategically near the end.

During trail races or trail running in general, I never listen to music so I am aware of my surroundings.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I guess I don't really understand the first question. I assume you'd have the app loaded and ready when you were staging for the start... then just hit the start button when appropriate - either at the gun or when you actually crossed the starting line. In either case, a quick glance at your phone and push of a button shouldn't have any meaningful impact on your speed/pace. Additionally, the starts of every race I've ever done are so congested that it wouldn't matter... I'd be less apt to trip over someone because I was looking at my phone than I was to have my pace negatively impacted. It's often a good 1/4mi before the race thins out enough to where I can settle into a good, steady pace.

As for the second question... I never use headphones because it does dull the race experience (for me). Plus, I just hate having extra things with me. But that's my personal preference. I do agree that many races don't allow headphones on course, so that's something to consider (many people don't care, though). Additionally, you could use the speaker on your phone... the cues/times don't have to go through headphones. Lastly, most apps have splits/pace/times displayed, so you could just click your phone on every so often if you didn't have a good option for audible cues.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    When I first started I used mapmyrun and listened to music with my phone. I don't find that starting the app slows me down, it's only a press of a button, but I did find using headphones and selecting songs I liked to be cumbersome while running, even if I have a playlist. I tried a few different options like a motoactiv or a samsung gear 2, but ultimately I landed on just using a Garmin Forerunner. I rarely listen to music while I run anymore. The above poster said that you don't need headphones for splits, which is true, you could just let them go through your speaker. It wouldn't bother me to hear someone do this but it does annoy me when people play their music out loud without headphones for everyone to hear.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind hearing splits called out, but those who run with their music on a speaker for all to hear are very annoying.
  • powellkj
    powellkj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lol. Thanks guys. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but it does seem obvious now that I should look into getting some sort of running watch. It would be much easier to use and access while running. Thanks for all of the suggestions!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I have the app loaded before the start, so its just a matter of tapping the screen once when I want it to start.

I like hearing the splits also. Helps me focus, keep my pace in check, etc. I did a 10k on the 11th where there was a no headsets rule, so was going to just not hear my splits. But I saw others had earbuds, so I got mine out of the car. I did not play music, but had my splits announced. This run was on a trail, and the trail was not closed to regular use, so that was the reason for the no earbuds rule. THey wanted people to be able to pay attention to their surroundings. But since it was not enforced I saw no harm in taking mine. Plus I was still able to watch, listen for what was happening around me.