Diet Soda Drinkers Get Bigger Waistlines (News)

Options
GinaKurtz
GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
I read this yesterday & thought I'd share it with you guys. My husband is a Type I diabetic & we both were heavy diet soda/pop/coke (depending on where you're from) drinkers. As of nearly 2 weeks ago, I gave up caffeine completely. I drink nothing but water & have since I quit cold turkey. I actually crave water now! I was never a water drinker unless I just had to because it was after a run or something. Anyway, here's the article.

Here's the shortened link if you'd like to visit it yourself: http://tinyurl.com/4x4gvmc.

Calif. - No good deed goes unpunished, and that seems to include people who virtuously reach for diet sodas instead of the calorie-laden good stuff.

Before guzzling that artificially sweetened beverage in a haze of guilt-free carbonation, bear in mind that your diet soda may only be adding to your bottom line - or your waistline. At least that's the conclusion of a recently completed 12-year study.

The study looked at 474 people, ages 65 to 74, and found that, on average, those who drank diet sodas ended up with waistlines that increased three times more than those who avoided them.

People who consumed more than two diet sodas a day had waistlines that increased five times more than the nondiet soda drinkers, which included people who drank water, juices and even regular sodas, said Helen Hazuda, chief of clinical epidemiology at the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, and one of the study's investigators.

These results were comparable to similar studies in younger people, said Hazuda.

Belmont, Calif., resident Karen Krebser, 46, has been drinking diet soda since high school in an effort to help manage her weight. "I'm currently mostly off refined sugar and have tried a zillion different diets, but the one constant has been diet soda," she said.

Krebser consumes three or four cans a day since she gave up refined sugar in April. But after hearing about this unpublished study - presented at the American Diabetes Association Conference in June - she threw out the can of diet soda sitting on her desk.

There isn't a single explanation as to why drinks with artificial sweeteners like aspartame, sucralose or saccharin result in us having to squeeze our bulging bellies into larger pants.

Part of the reason could be psychological, Hazuda said. Some people splurge on calories in their food because they're saving on calories in their drinks. Think Big Macs and super-sized fries and diet Cokes.

Another factor Hazuda thinks plays a role in expanding waistlines is something called taste dysfunction. Because artificial sweeteners taste hundreds to thousands of times sweeter than regular sugar, our bodies come to expect sugary foods to be extremely sweet. So we start to seek out more sugar-laden options.

A third explanation is that our bodies are smarter than we think. When we suck down sweet things, our bodies register the sugary taste and wait for the accompanying calories, said Lillian Castillo, a public health dietitian with the Santa Clara (Calif.) County Public Health Department.

But with artificial sweeteners, our bodies don't get the calories they expect, so we start to crave foods high in fat and sugar. Santa Clara resident Karl Watanabe has consumed diet sodas since his wife started buying them exclusively three years ago. But it hasn't really affected his weight, he said. "Of course, it helps that I run marathons and do triathlons all the time."

"Once in a while, it's OK to have one," Castillo said. "But water is the only thing that's going to quench your thirst."

If water is just too bland, Castillo and Hazuda recommended adding slices of lemon or cucumber to brighten the flavor.

It may take a couple months for your brain to adjust to the different flavors, but the research suggests if you want those six-pack abs, it doesn't look as if you'll be able to find them at the bottom of a six-pack of diet soda.

© 2011, San Jose Mercury News (San Jose, Calif.). Distributed by Mclatchy-Tribune News Service.

Replies

• ksloop00
    ksloop00 Posts: 144
    Options
    I've cut pop too and lost so much weight:)
  • chrisfnet
    chrisfnet Posts: 83
    Options
    I'm leery of taking much stock in article(s) that don't actually reference the study that they're talking about.
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I have stopped drinking pop several time and can't seem to stick to it but this might just do it for me. Thank you for sharing.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I just started meeting with a personal trainer and she told me the exact same thing. I HATE diet pop because it's always flavored with aspartame and I don't like the flavor of that, but I always used to put Splenda in my coffee. My trainer told me not to use Splenda, Sweet 'n' Low, or any of the artificial stuff but to only use stevia or xylitol.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I think the bottom line is just to drink water. Your body needs it, it doesn't need soda, diet or regular. I don't like what that article is suggesting. The alleged research seems to only demonstrate a correlation between drinking diet soda and having a pudge. There's no direct cause and effect there. I think you can have as many diet sodas as you want while losing weight. Just be prepared to deal with a lot of water retention from all that sodium, not to mention dehydrating yourself if you're not taking in enough water to begin with. That's especially true if you're drinking caffeinated sodas, since caffeine is a diuretic. Then there's also the issue of consuming a lot of aspartame or some other artificial sweetener, which isn't really good for you either. Like anything you put into your body (even water), it should be consumed in moderating. That's an interesting article :) Thanks for sharing.
  • Shaylala
    Shaylala Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I always need motivation to stop drinking soda- especially diet :)
  • GinaKurtz
    Options
    I have stopped drinking pop several time and can't seem to stick to it but this might just do it for me. Thank you for sharing.
    You sound like my husband! I emailed it to him yesterday while at work & he brought it up later on in the evening at home. He said it made him think about cutting it out of his diet all together too!

I stressed to him how much better I feel without any of that stuff in my system. The first couple of days without it were rough, but it was easy going after that! You can do it for good this time!
  • jmlitton33
    jmlitton33 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm leery of taking much stock in article(s) that don't actually reference the study that they're talking about.

agreed.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I haven't drank soda in several years, diet or otherwise. Water and milk for me.

1 regular 12oz soda a day will add 15 pounds in a year.
  • GinaKurtz
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I just started meeting with a personal trainer and she told me the exact same thing. I HATE diet pop because it's always flavored with aspartame and I don't like the flavor of that, but I always used to put Splenda in my coffee. My trainer told me not to use Splenda, Sweet 'n' Low, or any of the artificial stuff but to only use stevia or xylitol.
    I've heard that too!
  • GinaKurtz
    Options
    I think the bottom line is just to drink water. Your body needs it, it doesn't need soda, diet or regular. I don't like what that article is suggesting. The alleged research seems to only demonstrate a correlation between drinking diet soda and having a pudge. There's no direct cause and effect there. I think you can have as many diet sodas as you want while losing weight. Just be prepared to deal with a lot of water retention from all that sodium, not to mention dehydrating yourself if you're not taking in enough water to begin with. That's especially true if you're drinking caffeinated sodas, since caffeine is a diuretic. Then there's also the issue of consuming a lot of aspartame or some other artificial sweetener, which isn't really good for you either. Like anything you put into your body (even water), it should be consumed in moderating. That's an interesting article :) Thanks for sharing.
    I agree with your comment. I also agree that we all need to drink water & more of it...period.
  • agent300
    agent300 Posts: 73
    Options
    these diet pop articles are always misleading. diet pop doesn't make people fat. eating too many calories does. could diet pop make you crave sugar? sure, of course, but if you pay attention to what you are eating then there shouldn't be an issue when it comes to losing weight. i drink a lot of water, but i still love diet pop. has not hurt me one bit.
  • GinaKurtz
    Options
    Thank you for this! I always need motivation to stop drinking soda- especially diet :)
    You can do it! :happy:
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Damnit! I think you just convinced me to stop drinking it all together. I had switched to diet last Summer and I can't even drink regular now but a'wow.. you just made me change my mind. Thanks! hah.
  • GinaKurtz
    Options
    I think, like all things, in moderation a diet isn't so bad. However, when someone drinks multiple a day....that's not good for you.
  • ohwhataday
    Options
    these diet pop articles are always misleading. diet pop doesn't make people fat. eating too many calories does. could diet pop make you crave sugar? sure, of course, but if you pay attention to what you are eating then there shouldn't be an issue when it comes to losing weight. i drink a lot of water, but i still love diet pop. has not hurt me one bit.

you're a dude.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I have heard of so many friends/acquaintances that say "I stopped drinking soda or diet soda and lost 10lbs". They all seemed to say 10lbs. When I stopped drinking soda I didn't lose anything. But I did notice I didn't bloat up like I did when I wasn't drinking any sodas at all.

Now I have one on occasion, but I was big on soda since that was my caffeine. I am becoming a tea drinker mostly now. I still can't tolerate the taste of coffee.
  • GinaKurtz
    Options
    Damnit! I think you just convinced me to stop drinking it all together. I had switched to diet last Summer and I can't even drink regular now but a'wow.. you just made me change my mind. Thanks! hah.
    You can do it! Once you get off of it & stay away, you won't like to stuff just like you can't stand regular now! Trust me! I HAD to have one a day at least until I quit!
  • ohwhataday
    Options
    I think, like all things, in moderation a diet isn't so bad. However, when someone drinks multiple a day....that's not good for you.

haha. I realize that. But I've never wanted to not drink it before. ;]
  • GinaKurtz
    Options

you're a dude.
    :laugh: