Macros help

Options
So I'm trying to lose 6 stone and have been dieting (wrongly) for years. So this time I'm trying to count and do it right. I train 3-4 times a week, 2 classes of taekwondo, 1 circuits and now also 1 weights class. I'm trying to not only stick to my calorie allowance but also macros. They are currently at the MFP default. Should I adjust them for less carb higher protein?

Replies

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'd not worry about macros atm
    Just get used to eating lower calories
    Set your calories as sedentary add exercises eat upto 1/2 exercise calories
    I'd recommend weighing food in digital food scale measuring liquids in a measuring jug
    Log everything you eat and drink

Good luck I'm sure you'll do great
    Maybe when you've lost weight if you need to look at macros then I lost 5 stone I never bothered looking at macros I made sure I ate 90% healthy foods and has a couple small treats a day all in my calorie allowance
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Yes. I typically recommend 35% protein and fat and 30% carbs since the MFP default is carb heavy. Just remember calorie deficits are most important so don't feel bad if you don't hit your macros perfect every day. The deficit is what causes the weight loss. Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    flosoup38 wrote: »
    So I'm trying to lose 6 stone and have been dieting (wrongly) for years. So this time I'm trying to count and do it right. I train 3-4 times a week, 2 classes of taekwondo, 1 circuits and now also 1 weights class. I'm trying to not only stick to my calorie allowance but also macros. They are currently at the MFP default. Should I adjust them for less carb higher protein?

Macro's are more ranges that can support specific goals (aesthetics and performance), satiety or medical issues, but calories are definitely more important. Ranges are generally reference in terms of grams per lb of lean body mass.

Pro: .8-1g
    Fats: .35-.6g
    Carbs rest

Adjust for satiety and personal performance. Some respond well to lower carbs and higher fats. I respond better to higher carbs lower fats. I also keep protein at 1g per lb of weight.

Additionally, you really should make sure you incorporate rest in your routine. Muscles improve when they are allowed to rest. It's not just about exercising like a crazy person. Are you following a structured lifting program? If not, that should be step 1. It will provide you the greatest amount of gain for the least amount of effort.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I use this site to calculate my macros then adjust MFP accordingly:

https://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Right now my macros are set at 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat

I've been doing IIFYM for a while but I'm not a super strict IIFYM-er. I eat protein at every meal and all my snacks are high in protein. I'm not overly concerned about carbs but I am pretty strict on hitting my calorie goal. I've found that when I do it this way I usually hit my macros.

I've been steadily losing so it works for me. You'll have to fiddle with the numbers to figure out what works best for you.
  • flosoup38
    flosoup38 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Macro's are more ranges that can support specific goals (aesthetics and performance), satiety or medical issues, but calories are definitely more important. Ranges are generally reference in terms of grams per lb of lean body mass.

Carbs rest

Adjust for satiety and personal performance. Some respond well to lower carbs and higher fats. I respond better to higher carbs lower fats. I also keep protein at 1g per lb of weight.

Additionally, you really should make sure you incorporate rest in your routine. Muscles improve when they are allowed to rest. It's not just about exercising like a crazy person. Are you following a structured lifting program? If not, that should be step 1. It will provide you the greatest amount of gain for the least amount of effort.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thanks for this. I'm lifting with a personal trainer who is also my TaeKwon-Do instructor and has years of experience so I'm trusting him at the minute. I've 3 rest days ( young family no such thing lol). I also have an under active thyroid so I feel the exercise is definitely helping me. I don't really eat back my calories though. I try to stay at 1300 though some times it's 1500

• flosoup38
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    I use this site to calculate my macros then adjust MFP accordingly:

https://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Right now my macros are set at 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat

I've been doing IIFYM for a while but I'm not a super strict IIFYM-er. I eat protein at every meal and all my snacks are high in protein. I'm not overly concerned about carbs but I am pretty strict on hitting my calorie goal. I've found that when I do it this way I usually hit my macros.

I've been steadily losing so it works for me. You'll have to fiddle with the numbers to figure out what works best for you.

This week had been a success doing this with protein I just hope I can keep it up, I've a long road to travel :)

• flosoup38
    Options

Carbs rest

This guide is fab! Thank you

• rnelson88
    rnelson88 Posts: 122 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Macros are just something you have to experiment with. You just have to listen to your body and find out what works best for you. I personally like 35% carbs, 20% protein, and 45% fat. I do higher carbs on training days. I used to do a lot higher protein (30-40%) until I found out it was causing issues with my liver. Since I've decreased my protein intake, I haven't noticed any decrease in my muscle/strength gains or fat loss. For years I was fooled into thinking you needed tons of protein to gain muscle but I was sadly mistaken and just ended up damaging my health. So I went from around 300g of protein per day to 150g give or take. Also, I am 6'4" and 265 lbs just in case you are wondering why those numbers are so high lol. Hope you find what works for you. God bless and take care!
  • psuLemon
    Options

Carbs rest

Thanks for this. I'm lifting with a personal trainer who is also my TaeKwon-Do instructor and has years of experience so I'm trusting him at the minute. I've 3 rest days ( young family no such thing lol). I also have an under active thyroid so I feel the exercise is definitely helping me. I don't really eat back my calories though. I try to stay at 1300 though some times it's 1500

Do you mind me asking what he has you working on in terms of lifting?
  • flosoup38
    Options
    Squatting with the bar (up to 70kg)
    Deadlifts (up to 70kg)
    Can't remember name of the arm ones lol (8kg each)
    Prowler eugh
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Deadlifts (up to 70kg)
    Prowler eugh

I suspect the arm ones are bench and overhead press or maybe snatch? Or are you using dumbbells?
  • flosoup38
    Options
    Deadlifts (up to 70kg)
    Prowler eugh

I suspect the arm ones are bench and overhead press or maybe snatch? Or are you using dumbbells?

Over head press... complete mind fade ;)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Sounds like he is working the core lifts, which is good. Hopefully he is adding bench so you can work the chest/arms.

The big key is working the major muscle groups 2-3x a week and is based on progressive overload; meaning, that you increase either weights (this is the most likely), reps or sets, so you increase total volume and done in an adequate rep range based on your goals (4-15 usually).
  • flosoup38
    Options
    Sounds like he is working the core lifts, which is good. Hopefully he is adding bench so you can work the chest/arms.

The big key is working the major muscle groups 2-3x a week and is based on progressive overload; meaning, that you increase either weights (this is the most likely), reps or sets, so you increase total volume and done in an adequate rep range based on your goals (4-15 usually).

Yes he uses the bench too. And pyramids the lifts? I only do this once a week. The circuits is all body weight and a little cardio. Taekwondo is cardio, core, body weight and sweat lol Wish I had have discovered all of these years ago and maybe then I wouldn't have ended up so heavy :(
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    rnelson88 wrote: »
    Macros are just something you have to experiment with. You just have to listen to your body and find out what works best for you. I personally like 35% carbs, 20% protein, and 45% fat. I do higher carbs on training days. I used to do a lot higher protein (30-40%) until I found out it was causing issues with my liver. Since I've decreased my protein intake, I haven't noticed any decrease in my muscle/strength gains or fat loss. For years I was fooled into thinking you needed tons of protein to gain muscle but I was sadly mistaken and just ended up damaging my health. So I went from around 300g of protein per day to 150g give or take. Also, I am 6'4" and 265 lbs just in case you are wondering why those numbers are so high lol. Hope you find what works for you. God bless and take care!

Holy cow!! 300g of protein a day?? How the heck did you manage to eat all that protein?