Apple Watch - Active Calories

Options
I have an Apple Watch and each day it tracks how many calories I am burning whilst walking and doing day to day chores and work.

I was just wondering if I need to be manually adding these to the MyFitnessPal app? I'm pretty sure I should be however I wanted to double check first as didn't want to be inadvertently cheating.

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily manually, but hook up your gear to MFP. In the Health app you should be able to link MFP under "sources" or in the MFP app in more>apps and devices you should see the Health app in there. That's how you get your Watch and iOS info to MFP.
  • mrmarkdunne
    mrmarkdunne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily manually, but hook up your gear to MFP. In the Health app you should be able to link MFP under "sources" or in the MFP app in more>apps and devices you should see the Health app in there. That's how you get your Watch and iOS info to MFP.

I did set it up like that originally however it only seemed to log work outs, not general calories that are burned through walking, going up and down stairs etc.

There was also a huge discrepancy, for example one day the MFP app said I'd burned around 180 calories where as my Apple Watch said I'd burned around 600 :/
  • timothyemartin
    timothyemartin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My understanding (based on reading and using the app with my watch) is that your daily calorie goal in MFP accounts for a certain amount activity. Once you pass that built in calorie count, then it starts adding on from your watch.
  • mrmarkdunne
    mrmarkdunne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My understanding (based on reading and using the app with my watch) is that your daily calorie goal in MFP accounts for a certain amount activity. Once you pass that built in calorie count, then it starts adding on from your watch.

I will need to double check tomorrow but I'm sure it starts clocking the calories in the app from first thing in the morning. I'll walk to the train station and MFP will say I've burned say 50 calories where as my Watch will say 100 calories
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    I know exactly what you're talking about, it's a bug. If you don't log a workout for that day, you'll find that the step adjustment will still be there in MFP. I'd be wary however of adding all the active cals, as that number seems to be a combo of base and extra burn. When you reach a move goal of like 350 or something that is not 350 cals to eat. Like on a workout the difference between active and total? You'd have to math that out for the casual moving around you do. I don't find it worth it. If I'm doing something truly strenuous I'll just make it a workout.

Related, I have been wearing my Fitbit as well as my AW lately to compare these activity/step discrepancies and it's between 1 and 200 a day cals getting dumped into the ether. I'm ok with letting that pad my deficit and not stressing about it too much. Maybe some day they'll fix it. This won't help if you workout in the mornings, but you can always look at the step adjustment it's given you before you log your workout, and manually put THAT back in after it disappears, but it's not the total of your move cals, that's not what they are.
  • crowleyed72
    crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Having same issues with my Apple Watch some days it adds work outs other days it doesn't
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    Workouts are different than what we are talking about. If you use "other" and then change the name of the workout, some of them are not compatible with the MFP database such as HIIT and a few other things, so don't rename them and they'll go through fine.
  • Naruya
    Naruya Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It's not a bug, it's that MFP uses a different number than the Apple Watch. The active calories on your Apple Watch are purely active calories, added to your BMR for a total number of calories burned that day. MFP has your TDEE set based on your activity level, which includes some normal activity like walking around and doing chores. So your Apple Watch adjustment won't start kicking in untill an x amount of calories burned. How much depends on your settings and stats. If you were to eat back all active calories your AW is awarding you you will be overeating, because MFP already accounts for some of those calories. Keep that in mind :)
  • cmoll520
    cmoll520 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Naruya wrote: »
    It's not a bug, it's that MFP uses a different number than the Apple Watch. The active calories on your Apple Watch are purely active calories, added to your BMR for a total number of calories burned that day. MFP has your TDEE set based on your activity level, which includes some normal activity like walking around and doing chores. So your Apple Watch adjustment won't start kicking in untill an x amount of calories burned. How much depends on your settings and stats. If you were to eat back all active calories your AW is awarding you you will be overeating, because MFP already accounts for some of those calories. Keep that in mind :)

I'm jumping in on this post because I want to make sure I'm getting this right- thank you for what you wrote- I think I'm getting it.

I had used a Fitbit charge HR for 2 years and have maintained well on that. I am in maintenance and have my calories set to 1500 in MFP (some days I'm over some days I'm under, regardless I have maintained at 126-129# for 1.5 years).

I switched to the Apple Watch a week ago and seem to be getting less "credit" for my steps. So for instance yesterday I hit 10,000 steps with just every day walking (no actual exercise) and was only given 21 extra calories (so 1521). With my Fitbit that would have easily been at least 200-300 extra calories. Today I did 68 minutes on the elliptical and 17,000 steps and was given about 500 extra calories (which seems on par with what Fitbit would have given me).

Why would there be such a difference? Can I trust The calories in MfP as well as I did when I used the Fitbit (though I guess because the Apple Watch/mfp sync is giving me less calories a worse case scenario would be weight loss, not gain).

Thanks again for any help.
  • Naruya
    Options
    I've analysed all the numbers from the past 3 months and crossed it with how much weight I lost, and it seems to be pretty spot on for me. I've lost the amount of weight I should've lost with the calories I've eaten vs calories burned based on my Apple Watch and accurate tracking of my food.

When I used the Fitbit Charge 2 before I got way higher numbers for my burn doing the same things. Exercises were about the same as the Apple Watch, but I got way more credit for simply walking based on HR readings. This meant I actually gained weight when the Fitbit said I should be losing. So in my case the Fitbit was actually overestimating and the Apple Watch was correct.

If you've been maintaining for 1.5 years strictly following how much your Fitbit told you to eat through MFP, then in your case the Fitbit is more on point for you and the Apple Watch is underestimating. I think it wouldn't hurt to try following it for a few weeks to see if you're actually losing weight on this or maintaining after all. I don't know how long you've had your watch but it could also be it's still learning about you.

I'm curious to see if it turns out to be as accurate for you as the Fitbit in the end. Let us know how it works out!
  • cmoll520
    Options
    I've analysed all the numbers from the past 3 months and crossed it with how much weight I lost, and it seems to be pretty spot on for me. I've lost the amount of weight I should've lost with the calories I've eaten vs calories burned based on my Apple Watch and accurate tracking of my food.

When I used the Fitbit Charge 2 before I got way higher numbers for my burn doing the same things. Exercises were about the same as the Apple Watch, but I got way more credit for simply walking based on HR readings. This meant I actually gained weight when the Fitbit said I should be losing. So in my case the Fitbit was actually overestimating and the Apple Watch was correct.

If you've been maintaining for 1.5 years strictly following how much your Fitbit told you to eat through MFP, then in your case the Fitbit is more on point for you and the Apple Watch is underestimating. I think it wouldn't hurt to try following it for a few weeks to see if you're actually losing weight on this or maintaining after all. I don't know how long you've had your watch but it could also be it's still learning about you.

I'm curious to see if it turns out to be as accurate for you as the Fitbit in the end. Let us know how it works out!

Thank you so much! I have only had the watch for 1 week so it could just still be learning me. I am going to give it a couple weeks and see what happens and just adjust my calorie goals as needed. I am glad to hear you have found it so accurate.
  • cmoll520
    Options
    One more question- do you have negative calorie adjustments on?
  • Naruya
    Options
    Yes, I do! I have a negative adjustment from my Apple Watch a lot when I'm not walking my dog because the exercises I do are mostly non-step based and I'm otherwise pretty sedentary because of my office job. These exercises are added as activities to MFP with the calorie count that my Apple Watch has calculated. Without getting too technical with all the numbers to explain this, in short it would mean that if I didn't have negative adjustments turned on, I'd eat too much because some of the calories I burned are counted twice. So I'd suggest turning on the negative calorie adjustment if you haven't already, just to be on the safe side :smile:
  • dondotwinks
    dondotwinks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    MFP uses your NEAT not TDEE to calculate calories. If you use TDEE method you shouldn't be eating any calories back or adding exercise.
    NEAT is for your general daily activities set for your level IE: sedentary, lightly active etc then you add any extra calories burned from exercise.
    Apple watch and MFP are not synching properly and i have no idea when or if they will.

• Naruya
    Options
    What exactly isn't working for you? It works perfectly fine for me and I've lost the weight I would've expected the past 3 months based on all the stats, so the adjustment of the Apple Watch combined with the exercises it adds are spot on. Yes, MFP and the Apple Watch use different methods to calculate things, but that's what the adjustment is for.

In my case: I have my activity level set to sedentary because I work an office job 8 hours a day. My BMR is 1550 and the NEAT MFP calculated for me is around 1800. That means it thinks I burn 250 calories with daily activity before exercise. I use my Apple Watch exercise app for my bike commute for 500 calories, which are added to MFP as a biking activity. I also go for a walk and end up with 700 active calories burned by the end of the day on my watch. The adjustment on my MFP is -50.

This is because the Apple Watch calculated me to burn 1550 (BMR) + 700 = 2250 but MFP had 1800 + 500 (bike activity) = 2300. If I'd eat that, I'd eat 50 calories too much because some of the calories are counted double. That's where the negative adjustment of -50 comes in.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Oh I think you are having the issue that I've had when I first got it. Even if you select Sedentary on MFP its around 5000 steps or something to get to that point. So basically you need to do over 5000 steps in order to start "getting" calories you can eat.
    Make sure you select negative calorie adjustment from settings as well.
  • Naruya
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »
    Oh I think you are having the issue that I've had when I first got it. Even if you select Sedentary on MFP its around 5000 steps or something to get to that point. So basically you need to do over 5000 steps in order to start "getting" calories you can eat.

Yea, and that's how it SHOULD be. MFP uses NEAT which means that even set to Sedentary it assumes you at least move around your house a little bit during the day, getting 5000 steps isn't that much. If my BMR is 1550 and MFP says my NEAT is 1800 I'd need to be moving a little bit to earn those extra 250 cals. That's what negative adjustment is for, to make sure you don't overeat when you've not even earned those 250 extra cals (outside of exercise added to MFP).
  • subcounter
    Options

Yea, and that's how it SHOULD be. MFP uses NEAT which means that even set to Sedentary it assumes you at least move around your house a little bit during the day, getting 5000 steps isn't that much. If my BMR is 1550 and MFP says my NEAT is 1800 I'd need to be moving a little bit to earn those extra 250 cals. That's what negative adjustment is for, to make sure you don't overeat when you've not even earned those 250 extra cals (outside of exercise added to MFP).

EucIfYY.gif
  • subcounter
    Options

Although I am not sure about mine now.
    My total Calories on Activity App shows as 3330 calories for the day. However on MFP app iPhone Calories burned as of now shows as 3154, MFP calculates as 3260, so I get this -106 iPhone Calorie adjustment even though I am above 5000 steps. Anyone have a clue?
  • yadavnathwani
    yadavnathwani Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @subcounter I'm having the same issue! The activity app will show I've burned over 3,000 calories while MFP will show less.