Pounds not coming off only inches , why?!?!

Options

Replies

• KaleChipz
    KaleChipz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. Ensure you are weighing your food and not estimating. I think you're making fantastic progress.

You can be retaining water from intensity of exercises or sodium as well as normal bodily fluctuations or hormones.

Measurements are important so losing inches means you're heading in the right direction.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    Are you doing your own measuring or is that part of the boot camp?
    I am being measured weekly by my coaches at the bootcamp ,

No offense but they do have an interest in you losing inches...is it possible that they're holding it a little tighter than before?
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Based on everything you have said, my guess is that you are losing fat, but retaining some water. Water retention can easily mask a few pounds of weight loss and is common with a high-intensity exercise program. It can also vary due to time of month, etc. Because of that, plus varying amounts of food waste in your system, weight loss is rarely linear. I often go weeks with little apparent progress, then suddenly drop several pounds.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Just keep it up and know that the scale will show it eventually.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I saw a girl that became fit by not losing any weight at all. She just gained muscle. She was 183 at the beginning and 183 at the end. You could tell her fat was replaced by muscle. Her belly and stuff was gone.

This didn't happen. No one gains muscle without gaining fat.
  • hawkmancody
    hawkmancody Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I saw a girl that became fit by not losing any weight at all. She just gained muscle. She was 183 at the beginning and 183 at the end. You could tell her fat was replaced by muscle. Her belly and stuff was gone.

This didn't happen. No one gains muscle without gaining fat.

What about recomp?
  • Brandi_Allison
    Brandi_Allison Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just remember that a pound of fat takes up a lot more space in your body than a pound of muscle. While you may have lost a little bit of weight, you're replacing your fat with lean muscle mass. Way to go on your progress!
  • stephie59
    stephie59 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That's completely normal. Every coach I have talked too says to not even pay attention to the scale when you first start working out. You lose inches and build muscle. the scale will start going down though!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hi, I do fitbody bootcamp which is high intensity interval training for 30 min 5 days a week. I have lost 3 inches in almost a month but I've only lost 1.4 pounds! I'm eating clean meals high protein low car with one cheat meal a week and even that is portion controlled.

The process is working. The scale is such a poor tool! It measures your body weight not your body fat, your body is mostly water. This is a lifestyle, keep your focus on the process and the results will come into place automatically. Someday you WILL reach your goal and you will maintain and none of this excitement of change will exist, you do all the same process to stay in place, just slight tweaks but it's the same game for life.

Keep your focus on the process, not the results. The results just happen when you do that. GO! Just go! Focus!

• animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I am being measured weekly by my coaches at the bootcamp ,

No offense but they do have an interest in you losing inches...is it possible that they're holding it a little tighter than before?

fairly sure you'd feel them pulling it 3 inches tighter ;P

OP you're probably retaining water for muscle repair. Its very common when starting out a new intense routine that gives you DOMS, if you're at a deficit chances are you are building very little new muscle just retaining what you have and increasing your fitness, the inch loss suggests you are losing fat though. Well done and in time that water weight will shift too, it's nearly impossible to avoid water weight gain with increased intense exercise and it is not a bad thing or something to avoid but it will make your scales fluctuate all over the place.

Also inches are better than pounds inches are what everyone sees, the scale is just what you see in private. Well done.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    sbrandt37 wrote: »
    You did not mention how much you are eating. Are you eating at a calorie deficit, or just eating "clean"? If you don't maintain a calorie deficit, you won't lose weight, no matter how clean you eat and no matter how much you exercise.

Yes I do have a caloric deficit 90% of the time

What does this mean, though? What about the 10%? What are your stats (height, age, current weight, goal weight, calories)? Do you use a food scale for all solid and semi solid foods and cups/spoons for liquid only?

Can you please open your food diary/set it to public?

You're still losing weight. Are you close to TOM? Have you been going over your sodium? Increased or new exercise also means fluid retention.

You're not building muscle.... it's quite difficult for females to build muscle.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You did not mention how much you are eating. Are you eating at a calorie deficit, or just eating "clean"? If you don't maintain a calorie deficit, you won't lose weight, no matter how clean you eat and no matter how much you exercise.

She's losing inches which, means she's losing weight & thus, she's consuming at; a caloric deficit!

Ummm @DeficitDuchess... I'm not sure where you are coming from with this. Did you read the title of the thread and her post? She is specifically asking why she is losing inches but not weight (and 1.4 pounds is not enough to represent 3 inches).

If the 3 inches is from her belly, the answer is that her muscles are getting toned although she isn't losing much fat. That leads to a tighter, leaner-looking belly, even without weight loss.

What does that mean, her muscles are getting "toned"? Are you saying that by working out, her muscles are getting slimmer, so her belly is getting smaller even though she isn't losing the fat on top of that muscle?

I think you are getting confused with recomp, which takes a lot longer than a month. The answer most likely is that she is doing a great job, and it's being masked by retained water weight because of the workouts.
  • bagge72
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Ignoring the age old weight vs volume muscle debate, in just a month, OP is not building muscle. If it were that easy, especially for a female, we would all be ripped.

It's more likely water retention from TOM, sodium, or a workout given the timeline.

Agreed, I hope this doesn't turn into a whole thread about the difference between the weight of muscle and fat. She couldn't have produced enough muscle in a month on a calorie deficit for this to even be brought up in the first place.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I'm always amazed at how complicated people make weight loss. Calories in, calories out, keeping track a ridiculous number of macro nutrients. It's pretty simple; eat better and be more active. Eat better today than you did yesterday. Be more active today than you were yesterday and be more active tomorrow than you are today.

While I know that 3" in a month is not unheard of, this does seem like quite a bit to me. After doing the math, that's 1/3 of an inch for every hour you worked out. If I were go to challenge anything, it would be the accuracy of your baseline measurement. Measuring yourself accurately around your stomach and hips is nearly impossible.

The important part to focus on is that you are making progress.
  • bagge72
    Options
    Just remember that a pound of fat takes up a lot more space in your body than a pound of muscle. While you may have lost a little bit of weight, you're replacing your fat with lean muscle mass. Way to go on your progress!

Please stop saying this! It is just confusing people. She did not replace fat with muscle in one month, and if she ever did she would be having a very specific way of doing things.

Sorry people keep saying this on here OP. It just didn't happen. You're on the right track just keep up the good work. I know it stinks sometimes seeing people lose like 10lbs in a week just by changing what they eat, and here you are working your but off, and eating healthy, and you lost 1.4lbs. You are the right track, just remember, to be extremely accurate with you logging of food, and it will all work out.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat

No it doesn't, a pound of muscle & a pound of fat're each still; a pound!

Oh for goodness's sake - that is purely pedantic.

Muscle is more dense than fat, so a smaller volume of muscle will weigh the same as a larger volume of fat - so inches can come off as far is burned and muscle is built up without much change on the scales.

To the OP - great job! It sounds like you are building muscle and getting results!

OP has not added muscle in one month of boot camp and calorie deficit...muscle does not just magically appear, although, I wish it did.
  • bagge72
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    I'm always amazed at how complicated people make weight loss. Calories in, calories out, keeping track a ridiculous number of macro nutrients. It's pretty simple; eat better and be more active. Eat better today than you did yesterday. Be more active today than you were yesterday and be more active tomorrow than you are today.

While I know that 3" in a month is not unheard of, this does seem like quite a bit to me. After doing the math, that's 1/3 of an inch for every hour you worked out. If I were go to challenge anything, it would be the accuracy of your baseline measurement. Measuring yourself accurately around your stomach and hips is nearly impossible.

The important part to focus on is that you are making progress.

So just keep being more active everyday until, what? I'm at a full sprint everywhere I go, holding dumbbells? And how do you keep eating better everyday? Is there an optimal diet, and if so, where do you go from there?

Sounds much more simple than a planed out healthy well balanced diet everyday...

• ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I also attend FBBC. The inch loss is total not categorical.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    so your getting smaller. umm sounds like its working. weight is just a number, nobody goes around picking you up and saying "oops you must be fat because your heavy" no they look at the way you look. losing inches means trimmer, smaller sizes and inturn you "look" like you weigh less. who cares about the scale number. IMO
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat

No it doesn't, a pound of muscle & a pound of fat're each still; a pound!

I can't take it that is not how a semicolon should be used. Just leave the semicolon's out please :#
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

nope