I run because I need to and I hate it

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I ran for a while, before I messed up my foot, and never really enjoyed it. That runner 'high' I keep hearing about? I did feel it... once. Out of what, 20+ runs? Now I just walk at an incline (or outside of course when it's nice). Similar calorie burn, if not better, safer on the joints, and I enjoy it more. I love hiking too.

You just have to find something you enjoy, otherwise you'll never stuck to it anyway.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I lost the 75lbs I was wanting to and reached my goal weight simply by managing my caloric intake and adding walking to my daily routine.

At first, I could barely lap the couch.

As my fitness and stamina improved I gradually increased my distance/speed.

Don't do exercise you hate. You don't have to punish yourself to manage your weight. :)
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Much more important to find an activity that you at least like but, preferably, can love. Improves the odds of sticking with it for the long term.
    Having said that, there are some activities that I learned to like as I got better at them - for example, golfing. I guess my point is that if you hate it after giving it a fair chance, move on and find something that is a better fit for you.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, it was a struggle. And I hated it. I took me a long time to get my conditioning to the point where I could sustain a decent rhythm with my stride and my breathing. My speed/pace was still really slow, but I could get into a rhythm where I didn't feel like I was fighting myself. That was when things started to click for me. Once I stopped thinking about how much I hated what I was doing, I was able to think about whatever else was on my mind - could be whatever was going on in my life, could be the scenery or the weather, or any number of other things.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Don't force yourself. There's a million things you can do instead of running, find what you like. Me, I like martial arts so that's what I'm doing, gets the blood pumping and burns calories all the same.
  • Harbin2017
    Harbin2017 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just checked my runtastic log, i was running about 50 km per week 2 years ago before the pregnancy.
    What i love about running the most is that you don't need anything like gear, tool, car to get you someplace to exercise. all you need is some shoes. I don't have a gym membership or a treadmill at home so for me running is a way to keep my figure for free. It is nice to be outside, fresh air, birds chirping, sun shining, listening to fav music and just getting your head free. I had my favourite routes but also alternated between park/forest/concrete/local track at the soccer field. I am from Europe so we have lots of places to run outside. It is of course hard at first but once you conditioned yourself to a certain point you will enjoy it. Of course i also had bad days too when everything ached after only 4 km. My usual run was between 8-13 km. I guess there is no way to force yourself, try swimming, its easier on your joints.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I also learned to love it. It's not that I disliked it to start, but that doing it at a certain weight feels all kinds of wrong. I started really being consistent and doing it often last June, and I get antsy now to do it most days. I started out with my treadmill and this last few months tried to get going outside which felt like starting all over again but I just ran a sedate 5k out in my neighbourhood and didn't die. It's great cardio for contributing to calories out and it really does get easier as the weight comes off and also your muscles and joints get with the program. Only thing I still get annoyed with is carrying water, that's annoying but if it's really hot out it kinda has to be done.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I hate tread milling, but I do it so that I can eat more. Sometimes this way of thinking is necessary for people like me!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I hate tread milling, but I do it so that I can eat more. Sometimes this way of thinking is necessary for people like me!

Ditto. But it's warming up a little where I live so I think it's time to move from the treadmill to the great outdoors.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I HATE running long distances. I'm pretty fit...some people just hate running and that's ok. I've started sprinting after lifting, and it's not as taxing physically or mentally for me.

You don't have to run to lose weight. You just need a calorie deficit. If you want the cardiovascular benefits...try a recumbant bike or a different piece of equipment.
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It's tough starting out that's for sure. When I started I could barely run a minute! I used the C25K app and it works! I'm up to 22 minutes running straight. Also like someone else mentioned running outside somewhere beautiful like a park is super rejuvenating and hardly seems like a chore!
    The hardest part, for me, is getting out the door and doing it! After I've done it I feel fantastic and proud of mysef!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running. I rarely did it. When I started on mfp I started out walking with my dog. As I lost weight and became more fit I started to feel the urge to run some. So I downloaded the C25K app from Zen labs and I loved it. It really helped me ease into running. When I finished C25K I moved on to the C210K app. My advice is to only run if you want to, not because you think you should. I used to do aerobics because i thought I should. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it and I could always come up with an excuse to not do it. I have discovered yoga and I love it. I never make excuses not to do it and sometimes I even do it on a day I haven't scheduled it just because. The best exercise is going to be the one you can stick to, so just keep looking around until you find something you enjoy. If you do want to run then I certainly recommend the C25K app.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I love walking I walk an hour at least every day so running isn't necessary, and as others mentioned even working out isn't needed to lose weight.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Running works because it is inefficient. One can get very rapid results running. Apart from cross country skiing and swimming, there's not much to rival running as the top strategy towards weight loss.

Tips:
    1) Always run outside unless circumstances beyond your control and. . .
    2) Vary routes and terrain. Run streets, MUPs, trails
    3) Leave the HEADPHONES at home. Never try to escape the fact that you're running.
    4) Join a club.
    5) Have a goal. A training goal. Usually a 5K. Register. Get a training plan and stick to it.
    6) Try neutral, minimal shoes. . . lighter shoes. Weight on foot translates to carrying about five times that.
  • UK2ME
    UK2ME Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I loathe and despise running. Hate it. My knees hurt, my hips hurt, my shoulders hurt, and I never get that gosh-darned "runner's high".

That said - yesterday I ran eight miles, in preparation for a Ragnar relay in May and a half Ironman in August. As much as I hate running, I *love* being a triathlete. I'm slow and unwieldy and totally not built for distance, but the anticipation at the start line, the atmosphere during the race, and the triumph at the finish line... Personally, THAT is why I run.

If I were solely doing it for weight loss, I'd stick with the swimming and the biking. They're much kinder to my body and I enjoy them much more. You don't have to run :)
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i recently stopped running. i didn't hate it. i actually really enjoyed mornings out with my dog and the zombies, run! app. but between that and lifting i was literally ALWAYS sore and aching. and that i don't enjoy at all. i've tried all sorts of cardio because i do want that level of fitness and honestly i want to eat some of those calories back. i must have tried 100 things. i picked up a hula hoop recently though and i've been learning how to hoop for cardio and i actually really look forward to that. i can do it while i'm watching tv (and i actually do instead of it being within the realm of possibility but not actualized), i suck at it right now but that in and of itself is motivation for me. and it's easy on my joints. i would love to get back to running occasionally though if i can get my sciatica under control.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd find an exercise you actually enjoy and would want to do. There's no reason to run if that's not something you want to do.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to do something you enjoy so you can keep with it.. BUT, coming from someone who's had a love/hate relationship with running all their life... I encourage you to give it a fair shot before you cut it out. It's so freeing and stress relieving to run in the summer. People watching, enjoying nature, challenging yourself to go further run faster. It's exhilarating!

Like anything in life, you gotta work at it. It'll become easier eventually. And you don't have to run fast to enjoy it. I used to hate running when I was competing in it. Then I hated running when I gained weight and sucked at it. Then I hated running when I got ok with it again. Now I'm back at it, slower - but loving every second about it. Something about seeing the miles tick away as your running, is pretty fantastic.

Moral of the story - give it a chance. You don't have to be good at something to enjoy it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jadebuniel wrote: »
    I'm an obese. 20 yrs old. I've seen people way older than me who runs way more miles than me. I also witnessed the advantage of being a runner. That makes me want to love running. But everytime I run, I always think of doing it because I need to not because I want to. I always think of rest I always check my timer if I already run 2mins. For runners out there, what are your thoughts when you run? I really want to love running heeelp

Why force yourself to do an exercise you don't like? There are many good ways to get your cardio in. Swimming is my personal favorite, second is walking. You can also bicycle.