Is anyone on Vyvanse?

Options
I was just prescribed 50mg Vyvanse daily for Binge Eating Disorder. I've been to a recovery facility in the past and my binges have been maintained by Prozac for a couple of years. That kinda pooped out and now I'm trying this.
I am overweight, and do have some extra weight that I need to lose. I'm wondering if anyone here is on Vyvanse and what your experience has been?

Did you like it?
Did it reduce your binging?
Side Effects?
Did you lost weight?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @Look_Its_Kriss I believe is a Vynase success story?
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    following* scared of the cardiac effects of vyanse but also want to try it.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Also should note--the primary goal of vyvanse treatment is not to lose weight--it is to lessen/eliminate BED. Weight loss is an effect of not binging over time--should not be used just to restrict. but it sounds like if you're having binging issues it may be helpful to you too.
  • schwich13
    schwich13 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking Vyvanse for adhd, at a lower dose (20mg). I do like it, and have been having good luck with not bingeing. Because this is a problem for me as well, I considered asking my doctor for the higher dose used more often for binge eating disorder. Honestly, though, I've been doing really well where I am, so I may just let this ride.
    More than anything else, thanks to posters here, I found sanity from the book Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen. I was a therapy story failure, and was very skeptical. But to say the book changed my life (as far as eating goes) would be a huge understatement.
    I would recommend Vyvanse AND the book ( and hopefully you have discretionary money to spend on the med). Good luck!
  • elpint0r
    elpint0r Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Also should note--the primary goal of vyvanse treatment is not to lose weight--it is to lessen/eliminate BED. Weight loss is an effect of not binging over time--should not be used just to restrict. but it sounds like if you're having binging issues it may be helpful to you too.

Definitely, I was prescribed the medication to control my binges, not to lose weight. But I do need to lose weight & controlling the binges is necessary in that process.
  • elpint0r
    Options
    schwich13 wrote: »
    I am currently taking Vyvanse for adhd, at a lower dose (20mg). I do like it, and have been having good luck with not bingeing. Because this is a problem for me as well, I considered asking my doctor for the higher dose used more often for binge eating disorder. Honestly, though, I've been doing really well where I am, so I may just let this ride.
    More than anything else, thanks to posters here, I found sanity from the book Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hansen. I was a therapy story failure, and was very skeptical. But to say the book changed my life (as far as eating goes) would be a huge understatement.
    I would recommend Vyvanse AND the book ( and hopefully you have discretionary money to spend on the med). Good luck!

I love that book! Ugh, I'm applying for shirecares for assistance... otherwise it's $300/month for me. outrageous! but also probably the same amount I'd spend on binge foods if I didn't have it lol
  • schwich13
    Options
    Yes, it is very spendy. I spend that and more no matter which adhd drug I choose, though, so I figured why not work on both?
    Good luck, let us know how it goes.
  • danim10278
    danim10278 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started Vyvanse 1 week ago for BED. So far no side effects other than dry mouth. Started low with 20. Have lost 4 pounds. I have been able to eat much less since day one and feel better. Hope it stays this way!
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    So far I haven't been able to find any dr who will prescribe it in CA :(
  • schwich13
    Options
    Ok, so I don't everything that went on behind the scenes, but I can perhaps offer a little info... I have been on stimulants for over ten years for adhd. Vyvanse is the ONLY one that lasts over12 hours for me, including the other extended release and long acting medications. So, if for no other reason than a healthy sleep pattern, I would definitely NOT take it in two separate doses.
    Also, I noticed better control after the second or third day. It didn't make sense, but it was what I noticed.
    Good luck!
  • dawn_westbury
    dawn_westbury Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Funny I was wondering the same thing, I just started a couple weeks ago (30mg) and I've had no side affects and notice a difference in my eating! Maybe a bit of a higher dose will work even better! But it has helped !!
  • elpint0r
    Options
    Thanks guys! Feel free to add your fellow vyvanser over here lol
  • elpint0r
    Options
    schwich13 wrote: »
    Ok, so I don't everything that went on behind the scenes, but I can perhaps offer a little info... I have been on stimulants for over ten years for adhd. Vyvanse is the ONLY one that lasts over12 hours for me, including the other extended release and long acting medications. So, if for no other reason than a healthy sleep pattern, I would definitely NOT take it in two separate doses.
    Also, I noticed better control after the second or third day. It didn't make sense, but it was what I noticed.
    Good luck!

What dosage are you on? I'm on 50mg and I take it around 7:30am... I find that by 2-3 I'm getting headache-y & tired, and by 5:30 I'm totally crashed! I have to come home and take Advil and just veg out. I just feel like I'm sacrificing my afternoons. Did that happen to you initially? It's only my 3rd day so I'm obviously going to give it more time.
  • elpint0r
    Options
    Funny I was wondering the same thing, I just started a couple weeks ago (30mg) and I've had no side affects and notice a difference in my eating! Maybe a bit of a higher dose will work even better! But it has helped !!

What time do you take your pill? No crash whatsoever?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Dear Posters,

This discussion has been reopened. Please be sure to continue in accordance with the MFP community guidelines:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thank you for your cooperation,

4legs
    MFP moderator
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    so confused....what happened?
  • elpint0r
    edited March 2017
    Options
    so confused....what happened?

Basically, I messaged a certain MFP member who will remain nameless, some general questions about Vyvanse. Duration, afternoon crash, etc. She had been pretty helpful until I had mentioned I saw somewhere that this woman would pour the pill into water and split it into two dosages for her son so that it would last longer throughout the day. Didn't say I was going to do it, didn't say it made sense, just mentioned it hoping for her point of view. After which I thanked her for all her help and wished her the best of luck on her journey. Well, she proceeded to "school" me about taking meds in a message but if that weren't enough she came back on here just to let the community know how "very disappointed" she was over my question, my lack of responsibility and carelessness over my health and this medication and how I don't listen to my doctor. Oh, and that BED is a serious disease. Thanks, stranger, you're telling this to the girl who's been in months of inpatient ED treatment and has been in recovery for 2 years. Basically posted the convo from screenshots off my phone showing that she was in fact incorrect over what I said exactly. She probably reported it to MFP because she was embarrassed I'm assuming, either that or they noticed that she was slandering me (for lack of better term) on MFP - something like that.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

5. No Public Posting of Private Conversations

Do not publicly post an email or private message from any other MyFitnessPal user, moderator or administrator at any time.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,

4legs
    MFP moderator
This discussion has been closed.