I run because I need to and I hate it

Options

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    Running works because it is inefficient. One can get very rapid results running. Apart from cross country skiing and swimming, there's not much to rival running as the top strategy towards weight loss.

Tips:
    1) Always run outside unless circumstances beyond your control and. . .
    2) Vary routes and terrain. Run streets, MUPs, trails
    3) Leave the HEADPHONES at home. Never try to escape the fact that you're running.
    4) Join a club.
    5) Have a goal. A training goal. Usually a 5K. Register. Get a training plan and stick to it.
    6) Try neutral, minimal shoes. . . lighter shoes. Weight on foot translates to carrying about five times that.

Different strokes dude. I love running with music - always have. It's certainly not "escaping", LOL!
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I love obstacle running, hills, all sorts of that kind of thing. However to do that, I need to train. I hate the mundane difficulty of training. I've found that when I stick with something long enough, I get past the hate it/dying to oh, this isn't so bad, after a while.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I hate running, so I do kettlebells.

I like kettlebells, and the calorie burn is similar to running, if not better.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »

definitely not to derail, and can take this to message instead, but what kettlebell workouts do you like?
  • kmorrow0712
    kmorrow0712 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I hate running. I hated running when I was fit, I hated it jogging by the lake, I hated it inside. I realized I'm just not a runner, it never seemed to get much easier for me so I stopped. Losing weight can be hard enough, there's no need to torture yourself. Find something you enjoy!
  • annacole94
    Options

definitely not to derail, and can take this to message instead, but what kettlebell workouts do you like?
    Fitnessblender is my go-to. I try for two short workouts/week and one longer one. I'd recommend these to beginners (with the general advice to watch your form and start a little light to get the movements down, as you can hurt yourself with bad form):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6k4jH_qLUY&list=PLsfTiCAo3FTh_jvDAhgY57AwyXVyVFNEV&index=3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDMOIlPLFE&index=2&list=PLsfTiCAo3FTh_jvDAhgY57AwyXVyVFNEV

And my level-up short workout:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4JmGtoe9UM&index=1&list=PLsfTiCAo3FTh_jvDAhgY57AwyXVyVFNEV

Exercise shouldn't be punishment, and honestly, running is so hard on the knees. I tried to like it. I did couch to 5 K several times over several years. It's just not my thing. That's ok.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    @annacole94 thanks! i've done a couple of those and i really like fitness blender.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    No one needs to run. Well, not unless they are being chased by zombies or the cops that is...

The zombies thing - that's how I got into running, and depending on what works to keep your mind going it might work for you. There's an app called 'Zombies, Run' which essentially puts you as the supply runner for a survivor group in the zombie apocalypse. The stories are fantastic, full cast and audio effects, and you can run to your own music in between the story clips. There's also a 'Zombies 5K' training app which serves as both a prequel and to get you going if you want to do that kind of thing. Record runs, speed etc via satnav.

Just thought it was worth mentioning - I hate running. Absolutely, beyond a doubt hate it. But that app gets me off my backside and out of the door just to find out what's next in the story.

Yeah, I've heard good things about that app. Never tried it myself though although I did flirt with the idea.

I'm waiting for VR to take off in exercise. I think it will be awesome. Can you imagine being a Samurai in Medieval Japan having to fight your way across a realistic landscape, or Jason Bourne gone rogue on a mission, or going head to head with the Predator?

Would all of that involve sprints and running? Hell yeah.

http://www.virtuix.com/ VR treadmill with special frictionless shoes. I want one, SO BAD!!! I would play hours and hours of VR Skyrim, if possible. My poor quads - I do a lot of sneaking - I'd probably have to change my playstyle. LOL.

Ahem. Yeah, Zombies, Run! is pretty awesome, in the meantime.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I agree with the fact that you don't have to run. I have never been able to really run -- I get out of breath and give up quickly. Zumba and spinning are my cardio of choice because I enjoy them.

However, I started running as kind of a personal goal, and I needed a cardio switch. I still don't run far or fast, but I'm getting better every time I lace up my shoes.

You know what helps me? Music. I do intervals, and my longest working interval was about five minutes. I listened to an upbeat, pumping song and concentrated on jamming to it and getting through it. While those last few seconds were torture, knowing exactly how many words I had until it was over helped tremendously.

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I hate running, but have always been good at it.

I tried the Zombies Run app too, it's fun. I find the best thing for me is to have something to listen to. Some good music or radio to keep me distracted.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Maybe running can wait. You can make yourself like it. You totally can, there are a ton of strategies. Or you can ditch it, not do something you hate. But another option could be to just put it off for a while. If you want to be a runner, by not running now, it doesn't mean you never will! Get a month or so down of something else then revisit it. It's like frisee (the salad thing). I try it every few months to see if I like it. So far I have always decided that it tastes like hair, and I skipped it, but that may not always be the case. Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,646 Member
    Options

That depends. Again the difference is between aerobic and anaerobic exercise and anaerobic doesn't burn that many calories versus aerobic.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• annacole94
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

That depends. Again the difference is between aerobic and anaerobic exercise and anaerobic doesn't burn that many calories versus aerobic.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I see you're ACE certified. They agree with me.
    https://www.acefitness.org/acefit/expert-insight-article/47/3233/kettlebells-kick-butt/

Kettlebells provide a great cardio workout in addition to strength gains.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I don't like running either. Hated it when I was obese, still hate it now that I'm overweight, so I think the chances of me taking it up are pretty slim. I do, however, love to walk, dance, and cycle...all of which are great cardio exercises. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a miserable chore.
  • Tsoggo
    Tsoggo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Maybe I don't need to run but that is what I always think when I go to run. I want to love running because of what the advantages I've seen not to lose weight.
  • Tsoggo
    Tsoggo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies tho. I needed a help for those experienced runners to give me some advice on how to start
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jadebuniel wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies tho. I needed a help for those experienced runners to give me some advice on how to start

C25K. I used the Zen Labs app for it, but there are others. Make sure you are able to walk for an hour or so before starting the program, and then follow it but don't be afraid to repeat days or weeks. And go slower than you want to.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Running isn't kind to the leg joints of obese people, better that you stick with walking and biking. Read up on speed walking if you feel you need to 'up your game'

When you get slim, don't pick up running unless you then find you like it. Exercise that persists must be enjoyable.
  • timdeeseven
    timdeeseven Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was the same way, wtf am I going to run for..... no really I saw people running and thought suckers. At that point the only time I ran was if there was a beer waiting for me.
    Sooooo I started walking because well it helped with the weight loss. Then on here I found the C25K app.
    It was great but my feet and shins hurt. So I went to a running store and got fitted for running shoes, wow that was a huge help.
    At some point while running I get this euphoric emotion or feeling that is greater than any high I've experienced.
    Cocaine is a helluva drug but that running high is amazing.