Losing Weight in your 20s - Looking for friends

Options
Hello! I'm 21 and trying to lose 100-150 pounds. I've been overweight my whole life but I'm finally committed to becoming healthy and happy. I would love some friends on here to chat with, keep each other accountable, and provide support when things get frustrating. Please feel free to add me as a friend and post here! :smile:

Replies

• dreamAbetterMe
    dreamAbetterMe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Madison! Congratulations on taking the first steps to a better lifestyle! I'd be more than happy to help support and motivate you to meet your goals! Im 26 and have been overweight for 6 years since my PCOS really flared up. At the end of January this year I decided to make a change and eat better and exercise. So far I've been able to keep up with it but it's a slow moving battle when you have PCOS - weight is so much harder to shed. I'm looking for motivation too!! Let's cheer each other on! What are your first steps you're taking?
  • JenSamuel94
    JenSamuel94 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey! You can add me too :) I've actually been attempting to lose weight myself since I am overweight. My goal is to lose at least 10 lbs by May, and maybe 20 by August?
  • madisonm214
    madisonm214 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm starting with eating healthier - cutting back on carbs especially. As a college student, I tend to buy groceries that are relatively unhealthy because things like boxes of pasta for example, are a lot cheaper than healthier options. I'm lucky enough to have the support of my family on this journey while I am in school who are willing to help me afford healthier groceries since I can only work so much while I'm taking classes.

I also want to start going to the gym in the mornings before classes. I might try to start with 2 or 3 days a week since I will have to get up earlier, though I've read that if you get up at the same time every day it is easier to get up earlier.

What have you done that has worked for you so far? I have a hard time sticking to it, I've started and stopped a couple times now.
  • madisonm214
    Options
    Hey! I need to set some specific goals like that! Maybe having the goals for myself will help keep me on track
  • Jazzberry91
    Jazzberry91 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hello! I will be 26 next month! I am trying to lose at least 38 lbs by June 9th (big wedding day) but over all I need to lose over 100 lbs. My husband I are hoping to TTC soon so the weight loss is part of that as well :) Feel Free To Add Me!
  • JenSamuel94
    JenSamuel94 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Haha yess! I get the struggle, actually just graduated but I've put on almost 20 lbs and want to go back! I go to the gym now, but I haven't had too much luck with weight loss mainly because my eating was pretty bad and I don't drink enough water! I'm thinking about starting the Couch to 5k program! I heard it's awesome (it's an app) and people lose weight with a clean diet!
  • madisonm214
    Options
    Hello! Weddings are so exciting! I understand that motivation, I may have an engagement sometime in my near-ish future and I'm terrified I'll look back at my engagement or wedding pictures one day and be unhappy because I was at my heaviest. It's what has motivated me to start trying to lose weight again.
  • dreamAbetterMe
    Options
    I have definitely gone down that road of starting and stopping. It is hard in college when there are so many quick fast food places around. But that's awesome that you're family will help you get healthier foods! Do you live near them to be able to go home on the weekends? I ask this because what has helped me more than anything in the past month and a half has been meal prepping! The words "meal prepping" terrified me at first, it was something I never thought I could do. But I have a friend who is doing it too so each Sunday we meet and meal prep our breakfasts, lunch, and dinners for the week. It has helped me stop mindless snacking and has helped making healthier eating possible! I've lost 15 pounds since January 25 because of meal prepping and I've started going to the gym after work. If you're close to home you could try meal prepping on Sunday just to test it out and see if it is feasible for you! It also makes it so easy during the week to just go grab an already prepared dinner instead of needing to cook something. Saves money buying in bulk too! At the gym I'm so far been focusing on cardio but I need to start using weights!
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congratulations on starting your fitness journey. I'm at the ripe old age of 28, but feel free to add me if you wish! I don't comment much, but I'll be the one who consistently thumbs up your progress.
  • Jazzberry91
    Jazzberry91 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    As far as setting goals- What I did was made a little spreadsheet and set if for approx. every 10 lbs. I have set up for small rewards for the first few ones (hair done, nails done, etc) and then as the total gets bigger I made the prizes bigger (new wardrobe, skydiving, ttc) and when I feel I am at my "final" goal (aka I feel happy/confident and am in a healthy BMI) then I am planning on doing a glamour shoot.

that is the kind of stuff that helped me. Another thing I would suggest is start with your diet first. Work on making healthy habits. THEN focus on spending more time at the gym. One habit at a time. Baby steps.
  • madisonm214
    Options
    It definitely is a struggle! I bought a partial meal plan on campus this semester so I'm utilizing that for their big salad bar for lunch when I'm on campus. I would like to start meal planning but I live with roommates and we only have one fridge so I'm afraid of taking up too much fridge space with containers for it. I don't live close enough to campus to come home on the weekends. I've realized recently that I've been eating out a lot more on the weekends because I'm always with my boyfriend, so I've been looking into healthier options then too.

I do want to start some small prepping, like snack preps so I have things I can just grab that are already portioned out properly so I don't eat too much when I snack!

I'm trying to take up jogging. I obviously have to start easy because I'm very out of shape, but I'd like to run/walk a 5K by the end of the summer maybe.
  • madisonm214
    Options
    Jasmine, I think that is a really good idea! I like the idea of being able to see everything in writing that way I can look at it - and what I've accomplished - down the road when I'm feeling discouraged. I also really like the idea of having little rewards for yourself. Makes the little victories that much more exciting.
  • madisonm214
    Options
    That's great that you've kept up the momentum! Congrats on that!!
  • dreamAbetterMe
    Options

Madison- definitely start with snacks! Since snacking is where it really gets ya! For my "snack" at work I do one cup red grapes and 1 serving baby carrots and a slice or two of Laughing Cow spicy pepper jack cheese -- SOOO GOOD lol make it a goal to prep 5 snacks for Monday - Friday ! Baby steps! Also with the 5k, great goal! I'm working towards taking part in my first ever "organized" walk in June, the color run! It should be really fun and my goal is to be able to jog at least half of it!

Jazzberry - I really love that idea of giving little rewards for every 10 pounds! I'm going to have to do that :) I've thought broadly about rewards for the long run, like going to a water park, even going to Europe, etc! But I really like the idea of mini rewards like getting a nails done or something!
  • alexis_cp
    alexis_cp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 and I started a couple of weeks ago! I'm also a student, and having a costco membership is key. I buy meat and frozen veggies in bulk!
  • madisonm214
    Options
    dreamAbetterme, that's what I'll definitely start with! Maybe keep some snacks at my boyfriends place too so that when he pulls out a bag of chips or sometime, I can have a healthy option so I'm not tempted with his food! A color run would be so fun! I'm hoping one day to do one of the runs at disney!

Alexis - I've been mooching off my boyfriends costco membership haha! I definitely want to start buying my meat there because I tend to rely more on carb-based meals, and I need to incorporate protein into all of my meals
  • tessaenickel
    tessaenickel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey! If you want to add me, please do and I will add you too! Also, if any of you want to add me please feel free. Madison, I am in the same boat as you. I am working to build a healthy lifestyle and I want to be some people's cheerleaders and hopefully some can do the same for me! We all need a community behind us to support and push us to hit our goals! ❤
  • gabby3265
    gabby3265 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    alexis_cp wrote: »
    I'm 22 and I started a couple of weeks ago! I'm also a student, and having a costco membership is key. I buy meat and frozen veggies in bulk!

hahaha giiiirrrrllll!! thats a life saver lol...
  • gabby3265
    gabby3265 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It definitely is a struggle! I bought a partial meal plan on campus this semester so I'm utilizing that for their big salad bar for lunch when I'm on campus. I would like to start meal planning but I live with roommates and we only have one fridge so I'm afraid of taking up too much fridge space with containers for it. I don't live close enough to campus to come home on the weekends. I've realized recently that I've been eating out a lot more on the weekends because I'm always with my boyfriend, so I've been looking into healthier options then too.

I do want to start some small prepping, like snack preps so I have things I can just grab that are already portioned out properly so I don't eat too much when I snack!

I'm trying to take up jogging. I obviously have to start easy because I'm very out of shape, but I'd like to run/walk a 5K by the end of the summer maybe.

i have the same struggle girl, i can keep up during the week with my diet and gym routine but on the weekends that am with my boyfriend its hard :( i want to get the munchies all the time with him