dairy/egg free protein sources?

Options
heyzoey
heyzoey Posts: 10 Member
I've noticed that a lot of protein rich foods are dairy products, but I can't digest dairy very well and used to be very allergic to milk proteins and eggs. I still eat eggs but not daily. What foods do you like eating that are high in protein? Currently, I'm getting most of my protein from nuts, chicken, salmon, tofu, and some vegetables.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Beans are a great source.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You can find vegan protein powders as well as eating a lot of legumes.

You can also search the discussions for the Protein List, a downloadable google spreadsheet listing every protein source in the world. Turkey is high on that list. Egg whites are higher. Do eggs cause an allergic response when you have them?

"Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also..."
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    All kinds of meat, fish, seafood, beans, nuts and grains.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    As you eat meat, lean meat, including seafood, is generally the most per calorie.

Vegetarian sources are legumes, soybeans being particularly high (tofu, tempeh), grains (to some extent), seitan (wheat gluten), and a variety of vegetables, but they aren't huge amounts (although they add up).
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey is a favorite of mine.
  • WeirdoTwo
    WeirdoTwo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Broccoli has a lot of protein for its weight. You can use that to supplement a meal.
  • mayafit405
    mayafit405 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Nutritional Yeast is a good source :) it contains about 8-10 grams of protein per serving . You can add it to many foods even popcorn :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Beef, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb, fish/seafood.
  • monimoore
    monimoore Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Lentils lentils lentils!
    I actually just made this last night and it was easy and stellar: http://www.veganricha.com/2015/01/kung-pao-lentils.html
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I eat Ezekial bread or muffins with a tablespoon of peanut butter for breakfast. It gives me 11 grams of protein for about 360 calories.
  • heyzoey
    Options
    thank you everyone! these are all super helpful :)
  • heyzoey
    Options
    monimoore wrote: »
    Lentils lentils lentils!
    I actually just made this last night and it was easy and stellar: http://www.veganricha.com/2015/01/kung-pao-lentils.html

omg this looks amazing! It's also perfect for me because I've had this bag of red split lentils for the longest time and keep forgetting about it! I rarely cook with lentils but it's time to get started! Thanks for linking the recipe :)
  • heyzoey
    Options
    mayafit405 wrote: »
    Nutritional Yeast is a good source :) it contains about 8-10 grams of protein per serving . You can add it to many foods even popcorn :)

looooove nutritional yeast! i used to sprinkle it on popcorn all the time! and on top of vegetables. if you've ever made vegan mac and cheese, this is the most important ingredient to get that "cheesy" flavour
  • LittleBoBeep9
    LittleBoBeep9 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Beans, peas, lentils, tofu, nuts, seeds. All of these are great non-animal protein sources.
  • trorion
    trorion Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    quinoa, lentils, green chili's, guava (for a fruit), legumes. I'm assuming you don't really want to go into the meats because...well they are of course the protein masters.