Anyone doing keto diet?

Options
What does your meal plan look throughout the day? I am going to start doing it but I have no idea what to eat that will make me full and satisfied. And I love carbs so it will be hard.

Also, how much carbs do you eat a day on this diet?

Replies

• NewMikeM185
    NewMikeM185 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am also going to start a keto diet. I have included a link to an article I'm using for guidance. As far as CARBS go consume as little as possible, around 5% of total cal intake. Good Luck! https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ketogenic-diet-your-complete-meal-plan-and-supplement-guide.html
  • DavidRocketts
    DavidRocketts Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It's not so much the carbs, but the calories. Some carbs are a lot higher in calories, root veg for example. I think the keto diet allows some green veg and salad items but is very low carb, as low as 5% and higher in protein, even higher in fats. Start by sticking within the calorie target MFP sets you, and within that, tinker with the make-up of your meals till you achieve something you are satisfied with. You have to be happy with your food and exercise to stay with it to completion, but it will be worth it... I am considering switching to keto short term to shift my last 9lbs... good luck
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Ashleyjt_ wrote: »
    What does your meal plan look throughout the day? I am going to start doing it but I have no idea what to eat that will make me full and satisfied. And I love carbs so it will be hard.
    You choose keto to feel fuller and more satisfied. If you know already before you are starting that you are going to miss carbs, why would you choose keto?
    Also, how much carbs do you eat a day on this diet?
    You reduce amount of carbs sufficiently to reach ketosis. 20 grams is the usual.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've been keto for almost 2 years. I recommend joining the Low Carber Daily MFP group. Most keto'ers hang out there. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Most keto'ers eat between zero and 50g of carbs per day. Most start around 20-30g. That's where I usually am. I guess that's about 0-10% of your macros for most people.

Keto'er generally eat eggs, meat, seafood, full fat dairy (cheese, butter, 14% sour cream, 10+% plain yogurt, etc. and not milk or low fat dairy), nuts, seeds, veggies (excluding or limiting root vegetables like carrots, potatoes, onions, yams), and some fruit (mainly veggies fruits like squash and cucumbers, and berries).

Keto'ers tend to avoid grains (corn, rice, oats), refined grains (flour) and added sugars (granulated, HFCS, maple syrup, agave, honey, ingredients ending in "ose" or "extrin").

I do not log much anymore, but this is what I ate yesterday: 3 coffees with cream and 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil, 1 strip bacon, 2 pepperoni sticks, handful macadamia nuts, homemade bratwurst, cucumber, onion and apple casserole (with tallow and butter), carrots and peas, and a diet pepsi... not my best day (I was out a lot) but not overly unusual.
  • marie9910
    marie9910 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting today! I want to see how it works for me. I already don't eat bread, pasta, etc. I did eat brown rice. I calculated my macros as follows: 30% protein, 5% carbs and 65% fat. Yours will probably vary depending on your stats. I've only eaten breakfast which was a mix of raw cashews, almonds and Brazil nuts and a hard boiled egg. I'm still full but I literally just finished eating, haha. Add me!
  • WeirdoTwo
    WeirdoTwo Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It's long, but I hope this helps you. I started keto on Feb 7 this year. I've always consumed a Very high number of carbs daily - literally addicted to sugar and not strong enough to put the fork down. I drank 12 packs of sodas daily and often ate candy, cakes, and cookies for breakfast and fast food all the time along with mostly processed prepackaged foods and hardly any fresh veggies. It's a wonder I didn't develope diabetes...

I saw a bad picture of the Michelin man (me) at Christmas and since then started to get anxious and desperate when I realized I was never full, had no control over my cravings, and was always feeling guilty about what I ate. I stopped looking in the mirror and was so ashamed of how bloated and fat I started to look (more than ever before). I'm getting married in a week on an island vacation and wanted to feel better about being in public so I decided to try this. It's March 20 and I weigh 30lb less now. I've lost many inches - 7 from my waist, 3-4 from my hips/tummy, and 4 from my chest (darn lol). They say you lose mostly water weight in the beginning but I feel better and learned that it's not protein that makes me feel full, it's fats. Regardless of what I lost, I'm already 1-2 sizes smaller in jeans, my chest went from a DDD to a DD, and I got my figure back so all of my clothes are loose.

My daily macros are 20g carbs, 47g protein, and 110g fats. I added a lot of heavy cream, real butter, mayo, and salmon to my daily diet. I have stopped drinking sodas (except the very occasional diet one) and milk, and also stopped eating bread, pasta, rice, and high carb fruit. I might split an apple with my Jim, or have a square of dark chocolate here and there, but I account for those carbs. I MISS carbs, and I knew I would, but it's not so bad, especially now that I am not so afraid of eating fat. I had decided to try this because I was hoping it would be worth it - and it has been.

To answer your question, breakfasts usually have eggs, sometimes with one or two pieces of bacon, or cheese (crumbled goat cheese is really good on eggs), cooked in real butter or coconut oil.

I'm not much for lunches if I have breakfast, I'm not usually hungry. And if I skip breakfast, I don't seem to get hungry till dinner/supper. But some good snacks are olives because it's just fats. You can roll up some thin meat slices and dip them in a mayo mix (my mayo has no carbs but the miracle whip does). Have a salad (ranch dressing can be low carb - don't do low-fat dressing) - I like mayo on my spinach salads. Avocados are low-carb-ish and awesome but I always forget about their protein content.

I like salmon or chicken for dinner because of their fat content. Make it with oil or butter, or fry it in a pan after making some bacon. Oil and herbs, parmesan with cream!

Dessert can be hard, but whip some heavy cream and sweeten with Stevia. I flavor mine with vanilla or almond extract. You can also have it on some sugar-free jello but that's probably less healthy - although a life-saver when you're fiending for some sweetness.

Make sure you add salt to meals! Cutting out a lot of foods for this diet can mean you will miss out on electrolytes. Drink a lot of water because that will probably help you feel fuller, have fewer cravings, and once you enter ketosis you'll be burning your stored body fat - and that's the stuff that stores water, too, I guess, so you'll need to replenish more often. Plus of course it's healthy to stay hydrated that way. I hydrate with mostly just water. Even diet soda makes me have cravings.

Side note: If you love pizza, it can be hard to skip, but I found out how to make a crust with just eggs and cheese. There are so many new things to try. It might be hard at first, but so many people have succeeded in health and weight loss with this eating lifestyle. I used to say "Hell no I love my carbs, and if I'm going to die anyway, I'm going to die happy." But there's so much more to food than carbs, and there's more to life than food, but I still feel that now I can really enjoy both.

Edited for spelling and grammar.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I do IF and keto. So I don't have breakfast.

Morning: green tea and water.

Lunch: salads, leftovers, pepperoni sticks, cheese sticks, celery with ranch.

Dinner: Meat and veggies.

The recipe possibilities are endless. Last week I made bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers, sausage kale soup, deviled eggs and a spicy chicken casserole. And creamy cheesy roasted cauliflower is the best thing ever.

If you grab some almond flour, coconut flour and erythritol/stevia, you can make tons of keto-friendly desserts and faux-bready things. I'm making some keto lemon squares this weekend!
  • WeirdoTwo
    Options
    Oh yeah - want fried chicken? Mix an egg with a tbsp of heavy cream, and mix some parmesan cheese and half ounce of (ground up) pork rinds/skins from the snack aisle at the grocery store. Dip your chicken thigh in wet, then dry, and fry in oil or butter. So. Good!
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Keto. God no. I like to eat what i want whenever i want thanks. If it fits i eat!
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    WeirdoTwo wrote: »
    It's long, but I hope this helps you. I started keto on Feb 7 this year. I've always consumed a Very high number of carbs daily - literally addicted to sugar and not strong enough to put the fork down. I drank 12 packs of sodas daily and often ate candy, cakes, and cookies for breakfast and fast food all the time along with mostly processed prepackaged foods and hardly any fresh veggies. It's a wonder I didn't develope diabetes...

I saw a bad picture of the Michelin man (me) at Christmas and since then started to get anxious and desperate when I realized I was never full, had no control over my cravings, and was always feeling guilty about what I ate. I stopped looking in the mirror and was so ashamed of how bloated and fat I started to look (more than ever before). I'm getting married in a week on an island vacation and wanted to feel better about being in public so I decided to try this. It's March 20 and I weigh 30lb less now. I've lost many inches - 7 from my waist, 3-4 from my hips/tummy, and 4 from my chest (darn lol). They say you lose mostly water weight in the beginning but I feel better and learned that it's not protein that makes me feel full, it's fats. Regardless of what I lost, I'm already 1-2 sizes smaller in jeans, my chest went from a DDD to a DD, and I got my figure back so all of my clothes are loose.

My daily macros are 20g carbs, 47g protein, and 110g fats. I added a lot of heavy cream, real butter, mayo, and salmon to my daily diet. I have stopped drinking sodas (except the very occasional diet one) and milk, and also stopped eating bread, pasta, rice, and high carb fruit. I might split an apple with my Jim, or have a square of dark chocolate here and there, but I account for those carbs. I MISS carbs, and I knew I would, but it's not so bad, especially now that I am not so afraid of eating fat. I had decided to try this because I was hoping it would be worth it - and it has been.

To answer your question, breakfasts usually have eggs, sometimes with one or two pieces of bacon, or cheese (crumbled goat cheese is really good on eggs), cooked in real butter or coconut oil.

I'm not much for lunches if I have breakfast, I'm not usually hungry. And if I skip breakfast, I don't seem to get hungry till dinner/supper. But some good snacks are olives because it's just fats. You can roll up some thin meat slices and dip them in a mayo mix (my mayo has no carbs but the miracle whip does). Have a salad (ranch dressing can be low carb - don't do low-fat dressing) - I like mayo on my spinach salads. Avocados are low-carb-ish and awesome but I always forget about their protein content.

I like salmon or chicken for dinner because of their fat content. Make it with oil or butter, or fry it in a pan after making some bacon. Oil and herbs, parmesan with cream!

Dessert can be hard, but whip some heavy cream and sweeten with Stevia. I flavor mine with vanilla or almond extract. You can also have it on some sugar-free jello but that's probably less healthy - although a life-saver when you're fiending for some sweetness.

Make sure you add salt to meals! Cutting out a lot of foods for this diet can mean you will miss out on electrolytes. Drink a lot of water because that will probably help you feel fuller, have fewer cravings, and once you enter ketosis you'll be burning your stored body fat - and that's the stuff that stores water, too, I guess, so you'll need to replenish more often. Plus of course it's healthy to stay hydrated that way. I hydrate with mostly just water. Even diet soda makes me have cravings.

Side note: If you love pizza, it can be hard to skip, but I found out how to make a crust with just eggs and cheese. There are so many new things to try. It might be hard at first, but so many people have succeeded in health and weight loss with this eating lifestyle. I used to say "Hell no I love my carbs, and if I'm going to die anyway, I'm going to die happy." But there's so much more to food than carbs, and there's more to life than food, but I still feel that now I can really enjoy both.

Edited for spelling and grammar.

This is a great post. Congratulations! I'm so inspired! Question- do you eat any tomato products, or too many carbs?
  • WeirdoTwo
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thank you, and thank you! I do eat tomatoes sometimes. Chopped in a salad, usually, or made into a simple salsa on some eggs. I also made a pizza sauce with tomato paste, that was good. I would put some in a soup, too, if I had a good recipe. ;)