Not seeing progress after 10 weeks

Options
Looking for advice from some more educated people.

About 10 weeks ago I started my first job and I've been going to the gym Monday-Thursday every week. I skip Friday, Saturday, and Sunday but still try to stay on my feet and not lounge all weekend. I've been eating somewhere from 1400-1800 calories daily but usually cheat Friday (going out to eat) and drink on one of the weekend days (college you know how it is).

I'm not complaining as I know my habits aren't ideal, but why am I not seeing any progress? I lost about 6 pounds in the first 4 weeks but have stayed at the same weight since. I usually have a protein shake for breakfast (as a meal replacement not for muscle), have a PB&J for lunch with some light snack, and a meat-based dinner. I workout to around 300 calories Mon-Thurs on the treadmill/bike and lift some weights/core exercises.

What are some suggestions you have to seeing better progress? I'm really dedicated to cut weight as I've struggled my whole life and I finally have the means and time to focus on it.

Replies

• neekoosh
    neekoosh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    btw, I'm currently 20 years old and 187 pounds. Have a belly I'm looking to make flat.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you aren't seeing progress it is because you aren't in a calorie deficit. Weigh your food and log everything you consume. Even when you have a cheat meal and drink alcohol log it.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    neekoosh wrote: »
    usually cheat Friday (going out to eat)

The likely suspect!
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Looking for advice from some more educated people.

About 10 weeks ago I started my first job and I've been going to the gym Monday-Thursday every week. I skip Friday, Saturday, and Sunday but still try to stay on my feet and not lounge all weekend. I've been eating somewhere from 1400-1800 calories daily but usually cheat Friday (going out to eat) and drink on one of the weekend days (college you know how it is).

I'm not complaining as I know my habits aren't ideal, but why am I not seeing any progress? I lost about 6 pounds in the first 4 weeks but have stayed at the same weight since. I usually have a protein shake for breakfast (as a meal replacement not for muscle), have a PB&J for lunch with some light snack, and a meat-based dinner. I workout to around 300 calories Mon-Thurs on the treadmill/bike and lift some weights/core exercises.

What are some suggestions you have to seeing better progress? I'm really dedicated to cut weight as I've struggled my whole life and I finally have the means and time to focus on it.

Depending on how big your deficit is for the rest of the week, this bold part can easily negate that deficit. That's where I would make changes first.
  • neekoosh
    neekoosh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    If you aren't seeing progress it is because you aren't in a calorie deficit. Weigh your food and log everything you consume. Even when you have a cheat meal and drink alcohol log it.

The thing is I do log everything I eat even if I cheat. I go over my limit (1500 calories not including exercise) max twice a week.
  • cathipa
    Options
    So you are going over your calories by 3000 per week? This is probably negating any deficit you are creating. Cut out the cheat meal and limit the drinking.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Do you log also the alcohol? Do you make your own drinks, where you can control what goes into them? Are you having beer, or mixed drinks? If mixed - what is the alcohol mixed with? Do you snack while drinking? These are areas where its easy to go over on calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

The thing is I do log everything I eat even if I cheat. I go over my limit (1500 calories not including exercise) max twice a week.

How much are you going over? It's relatively easy to erase a deficit created during the week in two days.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Ps-I'm not coming down on drinking. Just citing it as an area that may be throwing off your calories.

Open your food diary?
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I think above responses are probably right, but if you set your diary to public, people can help you pinpoint where you might be going off track.
  • cathipa
    Options
    Just took a glance at your diary. Several days with possible missing entries. Avoid using "homemade or generic" because these have been entered by a previous user and unless you know what they used it is pointless for your logging. There are more than just 2 days a week when you are going over. Again, if you aren't losing you are eating maintenance calories.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

I just looked at your diary and yes, you are logging things, but it doesn't look like much is measured? I mean by food scales or cups/spoons. Much in the database can be wrong. There are definitely days you are over your goal, but as others are saying, you're likely a lot more over than you think.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    just after a quick look i can see a lot of places where you could tighten up your logging.

you have a lot of homemade or generic entries which could be off - like 200(ish) calories for a turkey sandwich, but unless it's your entry you have no way of knowing what kind of bread, how much turkey, whether there was mayo, mustard, cheese, etc. in that entry. my guess is that there was very little because it seems super low. same with the peanut butter sandwich entered, there's no way of knowing if that sandwich resembled yours at all.

even if you struggle using a food scale in college with the dining hall and eating out a lot, you can get more accurate by entering ingredients separately and measuring as best as you can. so your turkey sandwich entry could look like
    2 pieces of whole wheat bread 240 calories
    4 slices prepackaged turkey breast 76 calories
    1 tblspoon mayo 94 calories
    total: 410 calories

it's still an estimate if you're grabbing something pre-made, but it's a slightly better estimate.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    First of all, well done on sticking with it for 10 weeks.

The folks above are correct, impeccable, digital kitchen scale certified logging is for you :wink:

Just a thought. You might benefit from intermittent fasting where you just skip breakfast and eat all your calories in the afternoon and evening. It's no magic bullet, but it might help you still be able to go out on Fridays and eat/drink what you want.
  • dania201
    dania201 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Just stick to it! Sometimes the body needs to re-calibrate I think.
  • Sls2bhealthy
    Sls2bhealthy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Are you male or female? Just curious. It also seems like you are eating a lot of processed foods, is that correct? You may want to cut back on the empty calories, faithfully track and be sure you have a least a daily deficit of 500 calories.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Are you male or female? Just curious. It also seems like you are eating a lot of processed foods, is that correct? You may want to cut back on the empty calories, faithfully track and be sure you have a least a daily deficit of 500 calories.

Processed foods are not empty calories.... Weight loss is ALL about calorie deficit no matter what foods are consumed.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Well done recognizing you are not logging as well as you should.

You may like to try looking at your intake weekly instead of daily. This will give you chance to move calories around a little (don't go under 1200 a day) so that you can have higher and lower calorie days making room for nights out.

Cheers, h.