Tips for effectively working w accountability partner (and seeking accountability partner)!

Options
So, I've had accountability partners before and they just didn't work out. They were good friends though who would sort of enable my tendency toward procrastination and help me find excuses.

My question is... What tips do you have for getting the most out of an accountability partnership? Would love to know how people make it really work because I think it can and I love the idea!

Also... looking for an accountability partner!

Replies

• ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Dont know how it works but Im game!
  • girlinbubble
    girlinbubble Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    @msred5 The only way and accountability partner can work is if you guys are both seeing each other's food diary and you guys are both logging in every single thing you eat… Not just the meals that you are proud of. So if you go to my diary you'll see some days where I eat double my calorie intake and LOL but it's about accountability. I'd be down! Fried me! @ninnyfurr74 you too ;) let's all do it
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are accountable to yourself first. No one is going to care more about your success then you!
  • DaveNash80
    DaveNash80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I work with a personal trainer twice a week and he has access to my login and password (as well as weighs me each session), so he can keep tabs on my diet and help me tweak. Also keeps me from cheating as if I log a healthy meals, yet gain weight he knows I am cheating and makes me pay for it during our workouts.
  • lorrpb
    edited March 2017
    Options
    DaveNash80 wrote: »
    I work with a personal trainer twice a week and he has access to my login and password (as well as weighs me each session), so he can keep tabs on my diet and help me tweak. Also keeps me from cheating as if I log a healthy meals, yet gain weight he knows I am cheating and makes me pay for it during our workouts.

Grest that you get such support. He doesn't need your login and password, thats creepy for many reasons. Just friend hm on MFP and "share" your diary. It would be easier for him too!
  • jerseygene
    jerseygene Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    DaveNash80 wrote: »

Grest that you get such support. He doesn't need your login and password, thats creepy for many reasons. Just friend hm on MFP and "share" your diary. It would be easier for him too!

I totally agree with lorrpb. This is your space for you to chat and get advice and give advice to others it is a place to get support and be supportive of others it is a great place to learn about yourself and what works for you on your journey. Your personal trainer is your employee at the end of the day and has no reason to have access to all of your personal stuff on MFP what you do and where you go has nothing to do with anyone but you so as lorrpb says friend him and share your diary with him because it is creepy that he wants your login and password that just sounds more like stalking to me.
  • msred5
    msred5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I need more exercise than anything. I don't track meals that much or count calories. I eat very well but I do not exercise and need to.
  • igarcia13
    igarcia13 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think having an open diary is a great idea! I need an accountability buddy! Feel free to add me :smile: we can help each other!!
  • Tazzie0208
    Tazzie0208 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'd love an accountability buddy! We can set up communication times, share pics of our status/food/exercise routines and keep each other in task, motivated and away from temptation! Add me up as your friend and let's all do this!!
  • Tazzie0208
    Tazzie0208 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    @igarcia13 , the more accountability buddies we have, the best for us, feel free to add me up too!!
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'd love an accountability buddy. It seems I probably inundate my fb friends and probably my family members with my thoughts on keeping myself on the straight and narrow. It would be good to talk to someone like minded with similar goals. So on that note - add me if you want someone to report on your progressions and regressions and if you fall off the face of the earth for a day or two - someone to call you out on your *kitten*.

42 year old female. 5'2" of pure ordinary. CW 148 GW 120; Desk Job - try to be active most days with at least 10,000 steps. Wanna be runner but I suck at it. Kettlebell's are my weights of choice - but again -I suck at them too. I go a month hitting all goals and then turn into a sloth for weeks at a time. I love food, I love wine, I love gin. Keeping it all in balance is a huge task.

Garmin Connect User - you can add me there if you want to compare steps/activities - george
  • krisbusyb
    krisbusyb Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I need an accountability partner that well not bail. Every time I start a journey I have 1 or 2 friends on board but they always disappear fast. I also slip back into bad habits with them then. It is a constant struggle. I am trying to do this but everyone around me talks about Peanut butter eggs constantly! UUGGHHH Friend me and we will help each other!
  • January211
    January211 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What I need is someone who can message me or kick my butt into working out at home every night! Once I put my 5yo daughter to bed I'm tired..but it's the only time I get to myself that I can do it. I often start.. I'll pick up my kettlebell, do some squats and/or mountain climbers, but I tend to get a few mins in and lose motivation to do any more!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    msred5 wrote: »
    I need more exercise than anything. I don't track meals that much or count calories. I eat very well but I do not exercise and need to.

maybe accountability partners aren't working because you are avoiding accountability with yourself?

If you want to lose weight then you need clear diet/calorie goals. Exercise by itself isn't worth much.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    ^^This!
    Your first accountability buddy must be yourself.
  • msred5
    msred5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Still searching for accountability partner. msred5 gmail com