Losing Weight in your 20s - Looking for friends

Options

Replies

• dreamAbetterMe
    dreamAbetterMe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think weekends are the hardest to stick to healthier options. I always cheat and St. Pattys day was the worst so far lol so much pizza! I didn't lose any weight last week and I think it's because of that. I'm going to be better this coming weekend. And I plan to go to the gym Monday -Thursday, maybe Friday too! To keep myself motivated on the treadmill I watch Netflix, it really helps!
  • kaylayanicole
    kaylayanicole Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I'm 27 and have 2 kids under 3 but am trying to stick with working out on my lunch at work. I work full-time but get an hour lunch so instead of sitting all day and continuing to eat at my desk job. I have decided to take advantage of the gym at my job and do 20- 25 minutes of cardio monday thru Friday. It's been difficult but I'm getting to the point now where I can go the full 20 minutes on the bike at level 3 and 90 rotations a minutes without having my heartbeat go past 160. Now I need to work on fewer carb intake.
  • jasmarie24
    jasmarie24 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm 26 and I'm on this weight loss journey too! I would like to lose about 40lbs overall, but my main goal is to increase my fitness and just to be healthiest all around.

I found that doing fun things that force me to move helps make the exercising part of my journey easier. I have a lot of dance workout videos at home and I go to classes at my local gym. Journaling has also helped. It's made me realize just how much my mood effects my eating habits.

Feel free to add me, I'm all about giving and receiving support!
  • madisonm214
    madisonm214 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hey! If you want to add me, please do and I will add you too! Also, if any of you want to add me please feel free. Madison, I am in the same boat as you. I am working to build a healthy lifestyle and I want to be some people's cheerleaders and hopefully some can do the same for me! We all need a community behind us to support and push us to hit our goals! ❤

I would love that! It's definitely always slightly easier with the support from others going through the same things

• madisonm214
    Options
    I think weekends are the hardest to stick to healthier options. I always cheat and St. Pattys day was the worst so far lol so much pizza! I didn't lose any weight last week and I think it's because of that. I'm going to be better this coming weekend. And I plan to go to the gym Monday -Thursday, maybe Friday too! To keep myself motivated on the treadmill I watch Netflix, it really helps!

I love watching Netflix when I'm on the elliptical. I've been trying to jog/walk though, so I'm doing laps around the track so I can alternate from walking to jogging each lap. I've been working on creating a great playlist for that
  • madisonm214
    Options
    Gabby - yeah, I think I need to do some research into healthier restaurant options since I always eat out with him and then keep some healthy options at his place since I'm there the whole weekend when I'm not in class.

Jasmarie - I love Zumba! I love fun classes like that to make exercising better. Luckily my school offers some great ones here on campus
  • kristinutvols
    kristinutvols Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 and trying to lose 60 pounds and finding it really hard.. I think we could support each other in this
  • madisonm214
    Options
    gem728 wrote: »
    Hi Madison. You can add me! Congratulations on your commitment to changing your life. I've lost 80 pounds and am about 15 pounds from my goal weight. I'd be happy to support you!

Wow! That's amazing! Congrats on all you've done so far.
  • madisonm214
    Options
    Kristin - it is difficult! And I'd be glad for the support and to offer my own! It's always easier, or at least seems easier, when you have people who understand the struggles.
  • turtlemt20
    turtlemt20 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Add me, everyone! :) Lost 15 lbs.. shooting for at least another 10 or 15 lbs. I'm 22.
  • cmwill2011
    cmwill2011 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 24 years old. I gained about 45-50 pounds in 1 year after I met my husband. Gained it all before the wedding and maintained around 175lbs. I'm now working with my very active husband to lose about 40-50 pounds. Goal weight is 130-140. Right now I'm at 159.

I'm very open for new friends and motivation! Good luck everyone!
  • madisonm214
    Options
    turtlemt20 wrote: »
    Add me, everyone! :) Lost 15 lbs.. shooting for at least another 10 or 15 lbs. I'm 22.

Congrats on what you've lost so far! That's great!
  • madisonm214
    Options
    Cmwill - yeah, I don't know what it is, maybe his eating patterns rubbing off on me but I feel like I've gained 5-10 lbs since meeting my boyfriend. But he's very supportive in what I'm doing now so hopefully that means no more late night steak and shake runs
  • dreamAbetterMe
    dreamAbetterMe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm single but even just seeing my friends on the weekends is enough to mess up my good habits throughout the week. It's hard to stay strong when you want to have fun with friends and not be the only one not drinking or eating. My friend nick and I have tried fixing this by cooking a yummy 'healthy' meal instead of going to Taco Bell. It helps to be open to whoever you're with and make a little effort to cook instead of taking a quick route!
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Everyone is welcome to add me. I'll be turning 25 in May. I'm 5'1 and I've been overweight my whole life. I started at ~215 and I am currently 147.2. I started my journey almost 9 months ago. I would say to start easy. Track your food and get that under control first, and then incorporate exercise. A 5k is totally doable!!!! I had never ran a day in my life and have asthma but I started c25k in AUGUST and ran my first 5k in November. I now run an average of ~12 miles a week. It is possible! You need determination, dedication and patience.
  • JenSamuel94
    JenSamuel94 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    ashcky wrote: »
    Everyone is welcome to add me. I'll be turning 25 in May. I'm 5'1 and I've been overweight my whole life. I started at ~215 and I am currently 147.2. I started my journey almost 9 months ago. I would say to start easy. Track your food and get that under control first, and then incorporate exercise. A 5k is totally doable!!!! I had never ran a day in my life and have asthma but I started c25k in AUGUST and ran my first 5k in November. I now run an average of ~12 miles a week. It is possible! You need determination, dedication and patience.

That's so great! I'm starting the C TO 5k app, and completed day one on Sunday. Did you usually do it outside or on the treadmill?
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options

That's so great! I'm starting the C TO 5k app, and completed day one on Sunday. Did you usually do it outside or on the treadmill?

I hate the treadmill! LOL I started running outside and that is what I prefer. In the winter I ran on the treadmill some but I didn't enjoy it as much. Being outside works your entire body and having a more varied terrain to run on is more fun for me.

• madisonm214
    Options
    I'm single but even just seeing my friends on the weekends is enough to mess up my good habits throughout the week. It's hard to stay strong when you want to have fun with friends and not be the only one not drinking or eating. My friend nick and I have tried fixing this by cooking a yummy 'healthy' meal instead of going to Taco Bell. It helps to be open to whoever you're with and make a little effort to cook instead of taking a quick route!

I struggle with that with my friends too! They're all skinny and stay skinny no matter how many McDonald's runs they make and so it's hard to say no when they are all going. But Ive talked to one of them about it and they're going to go to the gym with me so at least at first I have someone to keep me accountable until it's a habit to go
  • khers22
    khers22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi!

This feed totally speaks to me haha. I am 22 and struggle with accountability/motivation. I had some health issues two years ago and gained 20 pounds. I've since had a hard time losing it...lost 10 pounds at one point and then gained in back. I love the gym and know I am capable of achieving my goals! Just gotta keep consistency and stop with emotional eating.

It's difficult but we are beyond capable. I guess it's mental toughness?

- Kelly