Protein Shakes

Options
weisenbeckellie
weisenbeckellie Posts: 6 Member
edited March 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Normally I just add milk, water, a banana, almonds and ice to my protein shakes. Today I decided to sneak in 2/3 cups of lettuce and to my surprise I can't taste it! My question is what are some other healthy things you add/sneak into your shakes?

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I mix it with water. If I'm feeling fancy some berries lol
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I was watching some Dr. Rhonda Patrick videos and came across one with a shake in it. Off the top of my head my version of it included carrots, celery, kale or spinach, pea protein powder, cocoa, avacado, coconut chunks, cherries, vanilla extract, couple of spoons of honey and cocoa powder. Loved it. Around even amounts of protein, fat and carbs but easy enough to vary the portions to get whatever macros you want. Jam packed with micro nutrients as well.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    2 oz milk-- crazy I know. I prefer to eat my calories.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    1 cup of soy milk, a small banana, 2 tbsp of ground flax seed and water to 1 measure of protein powder plus water to achieve the desired consistency. Use to also add 5g of creatine and 2 tsp of pysillum fiber but decided that I didn't need them.
  • TamiSH2
    TamiSH2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    spinach, berries, and oatmeal
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I personally keep protein shakes simple; I only add hot water.
    However, I did once try mixing in flaxseeds.
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I try to clean out the refrigerator of leftovers. Last time it was baked sweet potato, along with a banana and berries. Delicious
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I add one cup of Fairlife nonfat milk and a few ounces of tap water. I don't feel like breaking out the blender every time I make a shake, nor do I usually want all the calories from adding a ton of extra things to it. I can put the protein, milk and water into a shaker bottle, shake it up, drink it and be done with it. My shakes are usually intended just to supplement my protein intake, not serve as a complete meal replacement.

I do have one recipe (courtesy of Alan Aragon) for the rare occasions when I want more calories and a more filling shake. It adds coffee, a frozen banana, ice, unsweetened cocoa and walnuts to the protein powder. About 550 calories for the entire shake.
  • Natso29
    Natso29 Posts: 28 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I usually only add almond milk but once in a while if I'm craving sweets ill put 1 or 2 tablespoons of cream cheese, 3/4 cup raspberries, 1 scoop vanilla protein and 2 cups almond milk. YUM!
  • Natso29
    Natso29 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oh i also often do chocolate protein powder with 1/2 cup almond milk and 1 cup room temperature black coffee and shake it with ice. Iced mocha!!
  • Kib13
    Kib13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I really like Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. One serving is 30 calories and has 50% more calcium than milk.

My favorite combo is chocolate protein powder, 50g banana, 2g Ceylon Cinnamon and 240-300g of almond milk. Yum! Tastes like a milk shake and typically about 200 calories.
  • pk140
    pk140 Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm one of the throw everything good in there too. Kale (cuz I hate it but can't taste it w everything else in there). Try mangoes! never thought of the flax seed! Good tip!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Almond milk
    chia seeds
    Flax
    Avocado
    Spinach
    cream
    yogurt
    cottage cheese
    berries
    Banana
    coconut oil
    Peanut butter

I love smoothies!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I follow a simple 4 part recipe and it never fails: 1 green (romaine, spinach, kale, avacado), 1 fruit (bananas and berries are my staples), 1 liquid (I typically use water), 1 addder (chia, flax, shredded coconut, or nuts)

Usually about 600 calories and keeps me full for a long time.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I add in zucchini or carrots :smile: sometimes spinach, once in a while lettuce, depends on what is sitting in the fridge, but zucchini and carrots are usually my go-to vegetables for just about everything - shakes, desserts, overnight oatmeal...
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't add stuff to my protein shakes, I add protein to my green smoothies. So a base of spinach or kale and water, add fruit or veggies. Kiwis and blueberries are favorites, banana too, but any fruit will do. For my protein I add things like almonds, peanut butter, chia seed. I guess you could add whey powder or whatever the basis is for your shake. I got a really good blender that can whip up 3 mason jars worth at a time, have one for breakfast every morning.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    50 grams B.F. chocolate protein in 4 oz kefir with ice and water to fill a 12 oz tumbler all blended together. I'm supposed to get some vegan protein powder delivered tomorrow and I'll experiment to see how it tastes in the same stuff.
  • oneofthelads88
    oneofthelads88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I make mine with a couple of scoops of powder and 6oz 1% milk, maybe some honey depending on the flavour of the powder.
  • Snowdusk
    Snowdusk Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Milk and sometimes coffee for a mocha latte xD
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't get this...probably because I eat a box of lettuce per day.

I use almond milk, xanthan gum, protein powder, cocoa powder, cinnamon, stevia and ice.