How to deal with hunger while dieting?

Options
Hi everyone!
I'm new to the weight loss and healthy lifestyle world, and something that I've been struggling with is hunger. Yes, I eat all my meals and I try to have a balance or carbs,proteins and fats, however sometimes I STILL get hungry, how can I stop this craving for food? Any hacks??

Replies

• RaphaBianchi
    RaphaBianchi Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat every 1-2 hours so if I get hungry I know it's not long to wait until I can eat something. If I can't wait then I'll either drink water/tea/coffee to fill the stomach or eat sugar free sweets to take my mind of it.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Do you think it is genuine hunger or boredom?
    Have you set a very agressive weight loss rate?
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Stay busy and drink plenty of non-carbonated zero calorie liquids. The busier I am the less I eat, but if I sit around the house and veg, then I get hungry.

Also, you say you are eating a balanced diet, but you might need to tweak your diet some to find what combo keeps you satisfied longer. For me, carbs are a big no-no, but protein and a little fat helps. Carbs just make me want more carbs.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    There are some weeks I'm hungrier than usual, so I eat at maintenance. Sometimes, I have a large quantity of high volume, low calorie food like a whole bag of frozen broccoli, roasted. Sometimes, I just remind myself that dinner is only an hour away. And sometimes I mess up and eat all the things.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Distract yourself.
    Drink water. Go for a short walk. Read a book.
    Keep low calorie veggies prepped and on hand.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I get hungry I eat melon drink tea and have porridge in the evening
    I just tell myself my body's burning fat lol :)
  • noecharo
    noecharo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    Stay busy and drink plenty of non-carbonated zero calorie liquids. The busier I am the less I eat, but if I sit around the house and veg, then I get hungry.

Also, you say you are eating a balanced diet, but you might need to tweak your diet some to find what combo keeps you satisfied longer. For me, carbs are a big no-no, but protein and a little fat helps. Carbs just make me want more carbs.

I find it rlly hard to avoid eating carbs, what foods would you recommend to avoid/eat when trying to reduce your carbs intake ?
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with carbs, they're in everything. I think the poster was talking about starchy carbs such as those found in bread, rice, potatoes, crackers, etc. While I occasionally eat starchy carbs, I find they don't keep me satisfied for long periods.

Lots of protein does the trick, for me. I start my day with Greek yogurt, which keeps me satisfied until lunch. If I find that I'm getting hungry, I keep some beef jerky sticks in my desk drawer. It takes a while to eat (SERIOUS chewing work-out... lol), tides me over, and is less than 100 calories per serving. Another good, high protein snack is yogurt.

If you find yourself hungry between meals, before reaching for a snack, stop to think a moment. Are you hungry, or are you actually THIRSTY? Many people find that they were actually thirsty, and have misidentified thirst as hunger. So, get something to drink, wait 5 minutes, and if you're still hungry, get a nutritious snack and log the calories. I've found that if I don't get a snack, when truly hungry, it's harder to stay on track.
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    noecharo wrote: »
    GauchoMark wrote: »

I find it rlly hard to avoid eating carbs, what foods would you recommend to avoid/eat when trying to reduce your carbs intake ?

For me, refined carbs trigger hunger. I love sweets and once I start eating them I have to be really careful not to overeat. So, I just cut those out for the most part. If I eat any, I try to do it at night as a little treat before bed assuming I have calories available.

Complex carbs are a better choice for me, so starchy vegetables, rice, bread, pastas, are good if I want carbs during the day. Also, if I really need something sweet, a small apple (like you would get at Panera) or some grapes are a good dessert or sweet snack. Frozen black grapes are pretty awesome actually...
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    for me it helps to think in terms of blood sugar. Try eating like a diabetic. You can even get a blood sugar test kit at the pharmacy and experiment if you want, but I try to keep my blood sugar fairly constant when I am trying to lose weight. That means, limiting sweets, eating every few hours, and making choices that do not spike blood sugar.

It works well for me.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Considering that dieting is about eating less than your body needs, hunger is a healthy and desired outcome. You can no more eliminate the feeling of hunger when you undereat than you can eliminate the feeling of being stuffed when you overeat. I found it helpful to associate the feeling of hunger with my accomplishing my goal of weight loss. While extreme hunger should be avoided, I welcomed and looked forward to that feeling of hunger. Plus, it makes meals taste so much better.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Is the hunger genuine? it takes a while to adjust to less calories, drinking water helps this. Also what kinds of foods are you mostly eating - plenty of protein/fat/fibre will see you are fuller for longer.

It could partly be habit, you will have to re-train yourself as we are creatures of habit so new habits have to be formed. If you know you can't be hungry because its not long since you've last eaten a filling meal then its more a mental game. Again I would say, sip on water, it really does help.

Have you set your loss too high per week which means an aggressive calorie deficit? perhaps you should re run the numbers in MFP for losing at a slightly slower rate and that will give you more calories to work with.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Your goal might just be too aggressive. Setting your loss at 2 lbs a week won't do any good if you're too hungry and give up, for example.
  • changin4better
    changin4better Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try to eat three meals per day, at around the same time. Eating smaller, more frequent meals is a myth when it comes to weight loss. Your body is receiving a constant infusion of insulin and therefore not breaking down fat. It takes a while to get your body trained if you are used to eating more frequently. Once you do, your weight loss will be improved.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Try to eat three meals per day, at around the same time. Eating smaller, more frequent meals is a myth when it comes to weight loss. Your body is receiving a constant infusion of insulin and therefore not breaking down fat. It takes a while to get your body trained if you are used to eating more frequently. Once you do, your weight loss will be improved.

^^ not necessary. I eat 5 times a day at least, it never impacted my weight loss. As long as we don't eat more than we burn, we lose.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I have found a glass of water when I am hungry helps me.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I find if I get some form of protien in with every meal/snack and drink plenty of water that I'm not hungry. I also noticed sometimes it's not that I'm hungry but bored or just want to chew something so I've been chewing sugar free gum as well
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough fiber, protein, and healthy fat in your diet. A tiny bowl of low fiber cereal and skim milk will leave you wanting to pull the curb at fast food. Instead, do a quick stirfry with a cup or two of veggies and a little avocado oil, maybe 1/4 cup leftover whole grain, and throw in an egg. Make hearty soups with beans, chicken, greens, grains. Top salads with beans, nuts, berries, olive oil, and a nice flavored vinegar. Fill a roasted half of a winter squash with cooked grain and top it with a thin broiled fish fillet and fresh herbs. Top your old fashioned oatmeal with fresh fruit, nuts, and plain yogurt. Eating enough of the right food is key.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Hunger is a normal response to being in a calorie deficit.