I run because I need to and I hate it

Options

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand running. I hated it in high school, when I was slim and I actually lettered in track. And I HATED every minute of it. Swimming, on the other hand, I can zone out in. And I enjoy taking long walks on nature trails and hiking, and dancing. So I do the things I enjoy, because life is too short to engage in self-torture.
  • CornflakeGirl01
    CornflakeGirl01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well, I LOVE running! I need to run and do get the "runners high"! I am a 47 year old women, who started seriously running two years ago. I ran before that, but it was not until I entered my first 5k that I became a serious runner. I am not very fast, but really enjoy the camaraderie that is part of the running community. I started walking first, because of how heavy I was, then as time went on, I walked-jogged and now I am working on my 4th half marathon and will complete my first FULL marathon in May of this year.

It is not for everyone. Try it, with small achievable goals. Perhaps a 5k with a friend. There are a ton of races every weekend! You can walk-jog it. Runners come in all shapes and sizes and finding someone who would be at about your speed might be just what you need to get the "high"! Good luck!
  • blueiii31062
    blueiii31062 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I used to run because I felt like it was the most efficient way to burn calories. I kept waiting for the day when I would fall in love with it and get that "runner's high" that they talk about. Long story short - it never happened and it ended up speeding up the degeneration of osteoarthritis on my knees. I didn't even know I had the condition until 2 years into running, when I started having chronic pain in both knees (right one was a little worse). So now I can't run (doctor's orders) although I am able to simulate it somewhat more safely on an elliptical.

I agree with a few other posters - if you don't love it, find something that you DO love and check with your doctor before throwing yourself into it. If you like to dance, dance - if you enjoy hiking, then do that. If you end up still running, get a cheap MP3 player and develop a kick-*kitten* playlist that you only are "allowed" to listen to when you exercise.

If you want some song suggestions - message me. (My workout always starts out with Tom Petty's American Girl.)

The more you can enjoy what you do, the more committed to it you'll be.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I love running - outside, in parks, with friends, in the early morning, etc. I stared when I was 60 pounds overweight. I hated it for a few week but grew to love it as my stamina grew.

Maybe you should try something else. Cycling? Zumba? Yoga? Hiking? Mountain climbing? Soccer? Tennis? Find what you love!!! You won't stick with it if you don't enjoy it.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I used to love jogging, but cannot do it anymore. Due to a damaged cervical disc, running compresses my vertebrae resulting in nerve irritation with potential for permanent nerve damage. Basically I would experience non stop itching down both arms until the damage became so severe it would switch to numbness. I'm jealous that you can and don't want to. But my advice to you is figure out what cardio you DO like and enjoy the crap out of it for as long as you can.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    jadebuniel wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies tho. I needed a help for those experienced runners to give me some advice on how to start

C25K. I used the Zen Labs app for it, but there are others. Make sure you are able to walk for an hour or so before starting the program, and then follow it but don't be afraid to repeat days or weeks. And go slower than you want to.
    Great advice!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    When first starting out you really can't go slow enough. The trick is building a base of endurance. It does not happen quickly. It takes time and patience.

I get a lot of motivation from reading Runners World. I seek out other runners, ask them for tips. I just started talking with another mom in my daughter's swim lesson class -she's an ultra runner! Very inspiring.

I can't say even after years of runners that I love it, but I love how I feel after getting a good run in. I love the stamina and endurance I have from running. So I keep doing it because I love the benefits.

Running in races can be fun and motivating too. I just ran a St. Patrick's day race and it was awesome to see all sorts of runners out there. Young, old, fat, skinny at all levels of speed - you truly can do it!
  • Tsoggo
    Tsoggo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I enjoy sports a lot. But I'm not that good at it. And you need someone to play with you. That's my problem, I'm an introvert. I don't have lots of friends who can play with me. Also the area where I live doesn't have free basketball courts or tennis courts or table tennis table
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, start with lots of walking. Consider cycling or swimmimg for alternative activities to running.
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm with you OP - I hated running but I felt like I needed to, so I've stuck with it and now I hate it significantly less. I disagree with people saying to find another exercise - for me, I hated running because it was hard. Any exercise would have been hard, so sticking through it helped me and now it's less hard and less miserable. I wouldn't give up on running until you're certain you hate running, not just that you hate vigorous exercise. Here are my tips to make it a little more bearable:

1. Zombies run - as other posters have said, it's super fun. You can combine it with other programs or music, and it works even if you're a beginner just walking.
    2. Merge it with things you enjoy - if you can run on a treadmill, pick an awesome movie or tv show to watch while you run. If you're outside, consider a fun audiobook or podcast. You'll go slower than you might if you listened to music, but the more you practice, the faster you'll get.
    3. Sign up for a 5k as soon as possible. They are super fun and it's really helpful to have a goal to work towards. If you're worried about being slow, don't be! I'm slow myself, so when I find a race that sounds good, I look up the last year's results for that race on active.com. I have yet to see a race where there wasn't at least one person who finished over 55 minutes, so chances are, as long as you can walk 5k, you'll fit right in even if you're still a beginning runner.

Other posters are right, you don't *have* to run to lose weight, but it helps and there are a lot of other benefits. I think you should try out some suggestions to make it a little more tolerable before you completely throw in the towel.

Oh and my last suggestion, just be proud of yourself for trying your best. If you plan to go out and run but you end up walking more than you planned, so what! You got out and moving and you got some exercise. I really believe every bit helps, so each time you practice you're getting a little bit better.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list of people who don't enjoy running. I've tried, really I have. But it's not going to happen for me. I also dislike cardio machines in general like the elliptical.

Thankfully I've found lots of other things I do enjoy. I love lifting, and Zumba, and HIIT. I love taking walks with my kids and hiking. And I was able to lose 90 lbs doing that and I've maintained the loss for a year now. If I had forced myself to do something I hated, I would've given up eventually.
  • MrsEAPM
    MrsEAPM Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    As an obese runner training for a 10K, I don't entirely agree with the posts that essentially say "running is not for obese people". What worked for me was to:
    -Go slow: you shouldn't be out of breath after running an interval, even if it's 1 minute. You should be able to hold a conversation while running (if that means that your running pace is the same as your walking pace, so be it. You will become faster in time). Use a C25K app, which will help you pace your run. I started too fast and ended up with shin splints twice.
    -Buy the best running shoes you can afford and buy them at a running store (running stores usually do a gait analysis, which is very helpful).
    -Realize that it takes time for your body to get used to running. Your body needs to get used to the running movements and the difference in breathing patterns, that's why it's so important to build up your runs slowly.

I didn't like running when I just started (too slow, out of breath, felt akward), but it got a lot better and now I'm hooked (OK, the first km of almost every run is a *kitten*).

Good luck!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    Running works because it is inefficient. One can get very rapid results running. Apart from cross country skiing and swimming, there's not much to rival running as the top strategy towards weight loss.

Tips:
    1) Always run outside unless circumstances beyond your control and. . .
    2) Vary routes and terrain. Run streets, MUPs, trails
    3) Leave the HEADPHONES at home. Never try to escape the fact that you're running.
    4) Join a club.
    5) Have a goal. A training goal. Usually a 5K. Register. Get a training plan and stick to it.
    6) Try neutral, minimal shoes. . . lighter shoes. Weight on foot translates to carrying about five times that.

I would, rather than immediately go for a neutral, minimal shoe, instead go to a running shop, and get fitted for proper shoes, that are comfortable.

Not everyone can wear a neutral, or minimal shoe. I tried the minimal shoe route, and ended up off the road for 3 months thanks to that attempt.

As for headphones/no headphones, meh. To each their own. I pick music that helps me pace.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    I hate running, so I do kettlebells.

I like kettlebells, and the calorie burn is similar to running, if not better.

Not meaning to derail either, but a kettlebell workout does not have a similar caloric burn to a run... Or else my math is super off on my weight training days...
  • TH2017
    TH2017 Posts: 47 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the replies tho. I needed a help for those experienced runners to give me some advice on how to start

People have already given a lot of good advice so some of what I say might be repeats with a few new ones.

1. Start out walking - You may want to start out your runs by not actually running. It might be helpful to start your run by walking a few minutes. I do that and it gives me to time to "get into it", gets the body warmed up, and I can get a better feel for how the rest of the run might go.
    2. Buy good shoes - So yeah it is true that all you need to do to run is put on a pair of shoes and just go. I second @coreyreichle @MrsEAPM advice to go to a running store and get at the very least a consult about a running shoe that fits your needs. If you find the prices to high once you have a better idea you can comparison shop.
    3. Music - that is up to you but I find it helpful especially it is something that gets my heart pumping.
    4. Clothes - I don't think this has been mentioned yet. However, as a heavier person I found that the one thing that discouraged me the most from running was all the aches and pains that came from all the "jiggling" my lower half did as I ran. I now make sure that when I run my shorts/Capris have a good amount of control. I many times opt to run in compression shorts. That alone has made the BIGGEST change for me.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    MrsEAPM wrote: »
    As an obese runner training for a 10K, I don't entirely agree with the posts that essentially say "running is not for obese people". What worked for me was to:
    -Go slow: you shouldn't be out of breath after running an interval, even if it's 1 minute. You should be able to hold a conversation while running (if that means that your running pace is the same as your walking pace, so be it. You will become faster in time). Use a C25K app, which will help you pace your run. I started too fast and ended up with shin splints twice.
    -Buy the best running shoes you can afford and buy them at a running store (running stores usually do a gait analysis, which is very helpful).
    -Realize that it takes time for your body to get used to running. Your body needs to get used to the running movements and the difference in breathing patterns, that's why it's so important to build up your runs slowly.

I didn't like running when I just started (too slow, out of breath, felt akward), but it got a lot better and now I'm hooked (OK, the first km of almost every run is a *kitten*).

Good luck!

As one of those people saying that "running isn't for obese people" let me remind people that for every pound a person carries it is the equivalent of four pounds being carried by the knees when running. For a 175lb person, that is already 700 pounds being carried by the knees. But for a 300lb person that is 1,200 pounds or an additional 500 pounds. That's like a really fat man sitting in your lap. Our bones weren't designed to handle that kind of abuse.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Good luck!

As one of those people saying that "running isn't for obese people" let me remind people that for every pound a person carries it is the equivalent of four pounds being carried by the knees when running. For a 175lb person, that is already 700 pounds being carried by the knees. But for a 300lb person that is 1,200 pounds or an additional 500 pounds. That's like a really fat man sitting in your lap. Our bones weren't designed to handle that kind of abuse.

I strongly disagree with you. I know several people that are technically obese that run marathons. Not all runners are skinny, toned fitness models. It is harder to run when you are heavier because you are carrying more weight, and yes, it puts more strain on your joints. But in the same way that a non-obese person can learn to run with a 40 pack on their back, if you progress slowly and give your joints and muscles time to adapt they will. Everyone can run, regardless of their weight.

Also, OP is obviously here to lose weight so there's no need for all the "fat" commentary. It's just rude and not helpful.
  • crooked_left_hook
    Options

The very first time I tried to run, I ran for 5 minutes and my shins and quads were sore for a week. I wasn't overweight, but I was pretty sedentary. I decided I hated it. So I went back to walking.

After walking for awhile, building up to a really fast pace, I started to get the itch to run again but I was scared. So I read this book: https://www.amazon.com/Runners-World-Complete-Beginning-Running/dp/159486022X

I read about how to breathe, how short quick strides are better than long ones for efficient running, and I learned the proper way to hold my arms. I also started to do exercises to strengthen my legs, hips, and core. Lots of squats, lunges, planks, and bridges. In about a month I started a C25K program and it went much smoother.

Another important point the book made, which was echoed by my runner friends and my runner father, is that 90% of being a successful runner is in your head. The body does what the brain tells it to. Running is mentally hard at times so if you can push through the hard days you will make progress. Learning a new skill is always hard, and worth doing is going to be easy. If you can imagine ourself as a runner it is totally achievable.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I strongly disagree with you. I know several people that are technically obese that run marathons. Not all runners are skinny, toned fitness models. It is harder to run when you are heavier because you are carrying more weight, and yes, it puts more strain on your joints. But in the same way that a non-obese person can learn to run with a 40 pack on their back, if you progress slowly and give your joints and muscles time to adapt they will. Everyone can run, regardless of their weight.

Also, OP is obviously here to lose weight so there's no need for all the "fat" commentary. It's just rude and not helpful.

There is a big difference between a 40 pound pack and 100 pounds of fat. With a 40 pound pack the joints only have to handle 160 additional pounds of force when you run. I have no doubt that you can find a person who is fat and has run a marathon, but they aren't taking their sport very seriously or they wouldn't be fat and the fact that they ran a marathon doesn't prove that they didn't damage their knees in the process. But you agree that running is hard on the joints of an obese person, so what you seem to be disagreeing with is whether a person should be willing to subject their body to that damage. Why should they? If their aim is to injure themselves then why don't we just encourage them to stay fat? It would be much easier. But if the goal is for people to be healthy then running isn't for obese people.
  • crooked_left_hook
    Options

Good luck!

There is a big difference between a 40 pound pack and 100 pounds of fat. With a 40 pound pack the joints only have to handle 160 additional pounds of force when you run. I have no doubt that you can find a person who is fat and has run a marathon, but they aren't taking their sport very seriously or they wouldn't be fat and the fact that they ran a marathon doesn't prove that they didn't damage their knees in the process. But you agree that running is hard on the joints of an obese person, so what you seem to be disagreeing with is whether a person should be willing to subject their body to that damage. Why should they? If their aim is to injure themselves then why don't we just encourage them to stay fat? It would be much easier. But if the goal is for people to be healthy then running isn't for obese people.

Whether or not someone is taking their sport seriously because they are overweight is a matter of personal opinion, and not everyone who is overweight has joint issues. The OP is starting to run, and is most likely changing their diet or else they would not be on MFP. My father was 100 lbs overweight when he started running. He changed his diet, kept running, lost weight, kept running, and had ZERO joint issues as a result of running. I know people who are overweight and run because they enjoy it, not because they are actively trying to lose weight or trying to beat running records. Many of them are not having joint issues, and some are, but to that point most runners experience some form of joint pain at some point. I'm not overweight but I have a connective tissue disease that causes my joints to regularly dislocate from regular day to day activities. I may not ever be able to run a full marathon, but I can definitely run shorter races. If I can run, the OP can too.

To make a sweeping statement that "running isn't for obese people" and "obese people who run aren't' taking their sport seriously" is judgmental and plain wrong. Running is for anyone who can put one foot in front of the other (without assistance or assistive devices) who has the desire to do it.