Which fitness tracker is the best?

Options
WuSammy
WuSammy Posts: 4 Member
Hello all! I'm new here and really love the community so far. Which is your favorite fitness tracker band? I currently have the Fitbit Alta and before that had the Fitbit HR. I did see great reviews for the amazon tracker. I do like my Alta but dislike that there is no heart rate monitor.

Thank you in advanced! Also lets be friends :)

Replies

• LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Did you know they are coming out with a new Alta HR? I just got the Charge 2 and kind of wish I'd waited for the Alta, since it's smaller and more "womanly". Apparently it does all the things the Charge 2 does, and I really like my Charge 2.
  • schughes48
    schughes48 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivosmart HR, and I love it.
  • mswag84
    mswag84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Im a believer in the Apple Watch. I think fit bit over tracks false steps and the Apple Heath App as synced really well with everything I have usedcluding 3rd party stuff, but thats just me. You will get a lot of different opinions
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I just got the FitBit Charge, as I recall it has a few key features not in the Alta HR. Check the feature comparison at fitbit.com for specifics.

I really like how it tracks my sleep.

If I was doing serious training, I expect I'd want something with more features and possibly a chest strap.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    schughes48 wrote: »

I second the Garmin (although it's a Vivoactive HR I have) it's pretty accurate, losing at my expected weight loss rate, I like the fact that it monitors my heart rate all day and that the GPS is built in rather than relying on bluetooth connection to my phone. It's also waterproof so can be used for swimming which was on of the main differences between that and other trackers in my budget.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It depends. What are you doing for exercise? If you are just running/walking/elliptical than a fitbit or garmin is fine. If you want more accurate heart rate, I recommend a chest strap. I use the Polar A300 because I like to weightlift and the fitbit didn't give me an accurate heart rate for that because you can't get an accurate heart rate on your wrist. Chest straps are close to your heart and therefore, more accurate with heart rate. Also, I noticed if you do a workout that doesn't require your hands (i.e. stairmaster), then the fitbit was extremely inaccurate. I gave mine away and bought the Polar with the chest strap. Also, the PolarA300 is waterproof so I can use it while swimming.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    schughes48 wrote: »

I second the Garmin (although it's a Vivoactive HR I have) it's pretty accurate, losing at my expected weight loss rate, I like the fact that it monitors my heart rate all day and that the GPS is built in rather than relying on bluetooth connection to my phone. It's also waterproof so can be used for swimming which was on of the main differences between that and other trackers in my budget.

I junked my VSHR and went with the VAHR. It's much better at tracking activities and far more flexible in what it does. Wife has the VSHR now and uses it to track steps (she doesn't need to lose weight).

But waterproof was important to me as well which is why I've stuck with Garmin over Fitbit.
  • stepherdawn
    stepherdawn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had two FitBit Charges in a row--both fell apart after about 9 months of use. I loved the Charge, but don't recommend it because it is definitely not durable. I now have a Blaze and so far really like it.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My vote is for a Polar or Garmin brand product. Two thumbs up for both. Personally wear a Polar A300.
  • stillcruising
    stillcruising Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin Vivosmart HR. It syncs well with MFP.
  • GrayRider61
    GrayRider61 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I just use a basic Polar. It doesn't sync or anything but heart rate seems to be very accurate.
  • teebojones09
    teebojones09 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin Vivosmart . Would highly recommend it....
  • Cag_a_taY
    Cag_a_taY Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've got the Gear S3 Frontier with a built in GPS. The tracking is great. Would definetly suggest it to anyone looking for a great watch.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    How long is a piece of string?

It really depends on what you want the tracker for: Steps? Fashion? Running? Multisport?

I'll always lean Garmin. They do not retire their products quickly, and although their feature set lags behind most, it's because they engineer their products to last. I know someone still using a Garmin 205 (Released in 2006), and is only considering switching because last year Garmin ended support on it finally.

The Fitbit lines are a bit more stylish, but they lack in durability (I do not believe any of the Fitbit line are actually waterproof), and software reliability (I support two Fitbit devices currently, for family).

I've heard nothing but good about Polar's, although I've never used one. Same with Tom Tom's line. Both Polar and Tom Tom, however, I have heard are not particularly good at fitness tracking, but are spectacular for sport-specific tracking.
  • Tylerman35
    Tylerman35 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit charge 2 hr I use for running and heart rate. It works pretty well! I wish I saved for Apple Watch tho
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Im going with a charge 2, as its always getting good reviews from just about everywhere. I would like an apple watch but im concerned about the battery lifespan, i would not be able to justify a new £300 watch every couple of years lol and god knows how expensive it would be to have it replaced at the apple store, i'd want to look into that before i bought one.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I'll always lean Garmin. They do not retire their products quickly, and although their feature set lags behind most, it's because they engineer their products to last. I know someone still using a Garmin 205 (Released in 2006), and is only considering switching because last year Garmin ended support on it finally.

I don't know that I agree about feature lag, but I got my Garmin Edge 800 bike computer about 7 years ago, and it still does everything I need in a bike computer.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

I don't know that I agree about feature lag, but I got my Garmin Edge 800 bike computer about 7 years ago, and it still does everything I need in a bike computer.

By "feature lag" I just mean they don't always "lead the curve" on things, like Smart Notifications when BT connected, or color displays. Many other watches had them first. But, when Garmin finally does it, it's done right (IMO) and solid.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm on an Apple Watch now and I really like it, plus it does a lot more useful stuff besides fitness. Prior to that I had two Fitbit Ones, three Flexes and three Charge HRs and they all broke. Credit to Fitbit, their customer service is exceptional and they always replace them without a fuss, but I got bored being without a tracker for a week every six months waiting for a replacement.

I do miss the Fitbit app and being able to join challenges with friends, but apart from that I don't regret making the jump. I know Garmin stuff is very highly regarded, but their watches are way too big for my tastes, I don't want a brick strapped to my wrist.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

By "feature lag" I just mean they don't always "lead the curve" on things, like Smart Notifications when BT connected, or color displays. Many other watches had them first. But, when Garmin finally does it, it's done right (IMO) and solid.

Fair enough. My experience comes mostly from the bike world, where they've mostly been at the head of the pack.