What to do with the strongest of urges?

Options
I'm 20 years old, at 187 lbs trying to take weight loss seriously to get down to 160 lbs.

Currently, I eat/workout according to this schedule and am having a lot of trouble with late night urges to snack:

Breakfast (8:15am)
Lunch (12:00pm)
Workout (1:00pm, for about an hour)
Small Snack (2:30pm)
Dinner (5:30pm)

I usually stay up until midnight, so by then I fall into a late night snack binge that I really want to cut out of my life.
I'm adjust to this schedule instead:

Small Snack (12:00pm)
Workout (12:30pm)
Lunch (1:30pm)
Dinner (6:30pm)

What are your methods to fight the strong urges to eat? I'm used to eating whenever I wanted to which caused me to gain weight, so I need to be able to fight the urge to eat. Sometimes it's even eating through boredom and that's the worst.

Replies

• neekoosh
    neekoosh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you are up to midnight and know that you get hungry late at night, plan to eat late at night and budget your calories accordingly. It's just like paying your bills. If you know your electric bill is due on the 27th, you don't plan to use your money up by the 20th, right?

What are some low-calorie, but filling late night snacks? I don't really know what to eat when it's that late that isn't junk food.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry at 8:15 in the morning? I ask because I usually am not. What if you didn't start eating until 10:00 or so, and then bumped all your calories later into the day.

This. If you don't feel like breakfast, then there is no reason to eat it. The whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is crap. Some say it was started by Kelloggs as a way to sell more cereal. If you want to eat at 10-midnight, just plan accordingly.
    Additionally, you could go to bed earlier. Can't eat when you're sleeping (usually).

I think it was @jaydedmiss that has. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    neekoosh wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you are up to midnight and know that you get hungry late at night, plan to eat late at night and budget your calories accordingly. It's just like paying your bills. If you know your electric bill is due on the 27th, you don't plan to use your money up by the 20th, right?

What are some low-calorie, but filling late night snacks? I don't really know what to eat when it's that late that isn't junk food.

It's a matter of personal preference. My favorite evening snack is a half pb sandwich and a glass of milk. That's 325 calories, which is reasonable for me but I don't know how low cal you are wanting to go.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry at 8:15 in the morning? I ask because I usually am not. What if you didn't start eating until 10:00 or so, and then bumped all your calories later into the day.

This. If you don't feel like breakfast, then there is no reason to eat it. The whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is crap. Some say it was started by Kelloggs as a way to sell more cereal. If you want to eat at 10-midnight, just plan accordingly.
    Additionally, you could go to bed earlier. Can't eat when you're sleeping (usually).

Hence the "usually" tacked on, @tacklewasher. I know it's happened to a few people.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    At night, first I have caffeine free hot tea w stevia. If I'm actually hungry, a glass of 2% milk or 100 calories of cheese. If I'm not hungry but bored the tea usually does the trick but sometimes also saltines or hard candies/suckers.
  • Harbin2017
    Harbin2017 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The only thing i like more than eating is sleeping. Go to sleep early and your late night bingeing will stop
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

As far as i know i dont sleep eat, Just spread food all over every surface in the house and whatever im wearing. Dont think any of it makes it in my mouth :D LOL sleep me is a jerk
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    5:30pm dinner?!
    We eat ours at 10pm. And then I have another meal around 1am just before bed.
  • neekoosh
    Options

This is really a good idea. I just usually have breakfast before going to work but there's no reason I can't just bring my breakfast to work considering it's just Almond Milk and Protein Powder (meal replacement, not for lifting). I'm going to try this for the next week and see how it goes! Thank you!
  • neekoosh
    Options
    Harbin2017 wrote: »
    The only thing i like more than eating is sleeping. Go to sleep early and your late night bingeing will stop

I wish I could do this, but having a busy long-distance girlfriend makes it hard since we usually Skype pretty late.
  • papispade0926
    papispade0926 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    neekoosh wrote: »
    I'm 20 years old, at 187 lbs trying to take weight loss seriously to get down to 160 lbs.

Currently, I eat/workout according to this schedule and am having a lot of trouble with late night urges to snack:

Lunch (12:00pm)
    Workout (1:00pm, for about an hour)
    Small Snack (2:30pm)
    Dinner (5:30pm)

I usually stay up until midnight, so by then I fall into a late night snack binge that I really want to cut out of my life.
    I'm adjust to this schedule instead:

Small Snack (12:00pm)
    Workout (12:30pm)
    Lunch (1:30pm)
    Dinner (6:30pm)

What are your methods to fight the strong urges to eat? I'm used to eating whenever I wanted to which caused me to gain weight, so I need to be able to fight the urge to eat. Sometimes it's even eating through boredom and that's the worst.

Well my friend, I occur these problems also, but that's usually because I'm not only up late, but also eating below carports intake is well.... One product that will help curve your appetite that I seem to not live without is

*(Met-Rx Protein Plus) High In Protein,Ready To Drink... Only problem is they don't have many flavored options, but for what it does for you once you've had one... Sticking to that one flavor will be the least of problems... Good Look, I'm a first time responder...
  • papispade0926
    papispade0926 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Below calorie intake*
  • djchaney3
    djchaney3 Posts: 387 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The night is the worse for me as well, one thing that I try to do is drink something that will assist in removing the craving. I have some 0 calorie drink mix at home so when I get a craving for a sweet treat I go make me one of them and it curbs the craving. I also try to eat about 3 hours before bed, so if I go to bed at 10pm I will try to have dinner around 7.

I have dropped 55 lbs and 4 pant sizes by mainly cutting out pop (Soda some of you call it) and going to the gym 5 days a week. Plateaued so now I am looking at other changes to make.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Allot calories for a late night meal or snack. i like 25 calorie hot chocolate..it is good. or a 100 calorie whip yogurt..or do both. You could also eat hard boiled egg whites too.. only a few calories and have protein to fill you up.. you could do all of those for 150 calories.
  • CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have some non-fat string cheese in my fridge. Each stick has 7 grams of protein (protein tends to be pretty filling for me) and are 50 calories a pop. Whenever I get late-night munchies they tend to be my go-to option. It also works well since you can string (oh za punz!) eating them out a bit. ;)

Also, a mug of tea works really well for me. It helps eliminate boredom eating.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Eat later. I don't usually eat my first meal until after 12 noon and I am typically done eating by 8pm. There's no reason you can't eat at 3pm, 9pm, and midnight if you wanted. Calories don't tell time. Night shifters eat at night and sleep all day, doesn't effect weight loss. I would try to hold off on eating until later in the day and then you'll have calories for your late nights. If I eat breakfast I am starving two hours later. When I skip breakfast and don't eat until after 12pm I can control my eating easily.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Eating dinner later will help but here are some low cal snacks
    Hard boiled eggs (70 cals)
    Raw veggies - lots of volume and fiber will help fill you up, dip them in some hummus for added protein for long term satiety
    100 calorie nut packs
    Air-popped popcorn with herbs-lots of volume for minimal calories
    Apple dipped in nut butter
    Deli meat
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I always leave calories for a snack after dinner. I also don't start eating until 10:30-11am each day.