Who eats lighter through the week?

Options
Let's say that you have a night out coming on Saturday and so to stay under your weekly calorie goal you eat fewer calories through the week. Does anybody do this? I don't do this but I have been curious about it.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Zig-zagging calories or banking calories. Lots of people do this. I eat @ maintenance on the weekend. Keeps me more consistent.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It works fine, within reason. You don't want to restrict too far during the week that it impacts your health or your ability to function. And be careful going overboard on the weekend. I half planned for last Friday but still didn't cover all the Guinness I had. Just means my weight loss is a third pound less this week.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I do. I eat around 1600-1800 cals Monday - Thursday, and then whatever I want on weekends. I like it because I can lose weight without giving up anything for more than a few days.
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I do. I eat lighter through out the week so I can have a little freedom on Friday night and Saturday. So Sunday through-Thursday I don't eat back my exercise calories. Friday and Saturday I am open to eating my exercise calories back or close to maintenance. Doesn't happen ever weekend, but I rather play it safe during the week for the unexpected weekend outings. It works for me and I feel like I can make it a long term lifestyle.
  • NavajoGirl85
    NavajoGirl85 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    I do. I eat around 1600-1800 cals Monday - Thursday, and then whatever I want on weekends. I like it because I can lose weight without giving up anything for more than a few days.

I'm alloted 1700 daily but usually always end up with 300-500 left, sometimes more through the week, daily. I eat high protien lower calorie meals so I usually end up with some left over for the day. In weekends I am usually the same except for on the rare occasion of eating one meal out. This last weekend we got together for a b day party and the next day I was so terribly busy that we ate out again. However, I spent a good part of that day shoveling, gardening and things like that so I'm sure I compensated for some of that.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    i don't on purpose but it's way easier for me to fast at work till 1pm but not so much when I'm running around with my kids on a Saturday, so I stick to 1400 during the week and eat about 1700 on weekends. Weekly I'm still very happy with my deficit.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I eat 1300 M-Th and 1550 F-S. It seems to work and closely resembles "real life" when I get to maintenance.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    I eat lighter during the week because I exercise less during the week.
  • susb
    susb Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes, it works for me but I try not to go hog wild when I eat off track. I find that I still am able to drop a pound here and there because it is what I am doing overall and the majority of time that matters. This means, I adhere to a strict deficit during the week.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I do this in maintenance. I eat at a slight deficit during the week and then go over calories on the weekends.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 1400 for four days of the week, and 1800-2000 for Fri, Sat, Mon (I get up a lot earlier on Mondays, so it's easier to have a higher calorie goal that day). Weekends are, well...weekends!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I do!! <raises hand>
    Most of my weeks look like this:

Sunday - eat over maintenance (sometimes quite a bit)
    Monday - fast (water and tea only)
    Tuesday - eat at a deficit - usually 1200 - 1500 calories
    Wednesday - eat at a deficit - usually 1200 - 1500 calories
    Thursday - eat at a deficit - usually 1200 - 1500 calories
    Friday - eat at or near maintenance
    Saturday - eat over maintenance (sometimes quite a bit

I didn't fast on Monday's while losing but I ate a bit less on the weekends. I really do like to cut loose and eat, drink and be merry on the weekends so I tried fasting on Mondays to be a good way to do this without regaining any weight. In fact, I've dropped a few more lbs.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I travel a few times a month for work and eat less those weeks when not traveling, so when I am away from home the extra calories you can't really avoid at restaurants don't kill my efforts. So if I'm going to go on a 3 day business trip, I probably am at 1700-1900 those days and will stay under 1400 the rest of the week.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    That's one of the two ways. The other being you increase your exercise but it's impractical for most people.

I eat light from Mon to half Thur so I can be with family, friends all the way with the eating and fun Fri to Sun.
  • RaphaBianchi
    RaphaBianchi Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Nope. I eat the same number of calories during the week and on the weekend. The difference for me on the weekends is I'll usually have a smaller breakfast and lunch giving me more calories to eat later in the day.
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting here. I suck at meal planning and eating several times a day is not plausible for me because I'm prone to overeat and feel more hunger AFTER meals. Plus I don't feel like exercising after I eat so it's a double whammy. I'm also the cook in the house so we always have dinner as a family. I can put away 800 calories easy in one meal so I stick to dinner around 6 pm and whatever little snacks/leftovers I want before 10 pm once I feel hungry again. This averages out to 1200 calories per day. Some days are as low as 500 calories and depending on my deficit I may have one or two high calorie days to even it out when I'm particularly hungry.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Because I'm still big I'm losing at 2000k net (lightly active), I aim for:
    1850kcal net Mon-Thur (650 deficit)
    2200kcal net Fri-Sun (300 deficit)

I don't
    55286fkc753b.jpg
    at the weekend I still track and monitor just my allowance is greater. Intuitive eating is still beyond me at the moment so I can't just not track at weekends.

In reality I eat a similar amount most days, just during the week I'm quite active, and less so during the weekend. So it balances out and a bit forgiving on weekends. It was trial and error to work out what worked for me. So try it for a while.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Every freaking week. I bank calories for the weekend. I naturally eat less during the week (busier with life, less time to cook, etc.) so I bank those calories up and eat them on the weekends.
  • katepauul26
    katepauul26 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Every Week! I found this keeps me sane, and by the time Monday rolls around I'm happy to get back on track
  • jodietownsend03
    jodietownsend03 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance now I eat 1200 min - Friday and what I want at weekend. Apart from this week I had a few more naughty days as on holiday ☺️