Working out when feeling dizzy/tired/headachey?

carlxo21
carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
edited 3:52AM in Fitness and Exercise
For some reason, the past week or so I've had an on/off headache accompanied by dizziness and just general fatigue. I go to the gym and after 10 minutes I just feel like I have no energy and can't go on.

I've been sleeping a lot and just generally feeling like crud. I drink water, eat right, and push myself to work out but can't seem to get past these weird symptoms.

NO I am not pregnant haha.

Any ideas of what I can do? I don't have any medical conditions. And I don't really want to go to the doc just for feeling off.

Replies

• IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Sounds like your body is fighting something and you need to take it really easy for a few days.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
    Is it hot where you are? Could it be allergies?

If you are feeling dizzy, maybe try to do some exercise like the stationary bike so you can be seated, or try using an elliptical and hang on.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Water! I bet the intense heat is getting to you. Gyms are notoriously hot this time of year as well. Even when it's hot outside and I haven't had enough water in the day, I get headaches sitting at my computer at work.

So hydration. Water, make sure you getting in a decent amount of veggies/fruits and I bet you'll see a change in how you feel.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
    Sounds like your body is fighting something and you need to take it really easy for a few days.
    That was my other thought. :wink:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Have you had your iron checked lately? That could cause you to feel tired and dizzy.

It won't hurt to take a day or so off and rest. You could also be fighting off some sort of bug. Listen to your body!
  • carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    it is not hot where I live (WA state) and I have been drinking at least 8 glasses of water
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    Did you just start a lower calorie food intake? Are you eating enough? Those are symptoms that could be lack of enough food or the right nutrients.

But you could have something else going on....hard to tell if you are eating enough without knowing your info (height/weight/ age/goals/exercise/food diary)
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    you might be lacking iron or some other vitamin.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    i agree, two weeks ago i felt the same way, as it turns out i had a viral infection and the dr said becasue i was pushing myself at the gym my body was not resting enough to get better and it would wake longer. FYI i didnt listen, and i am now worse with a wicked cough.

I know it sucks to have to take time off, but your body is telling you something and its better to listen than to really hurt yourself. I hope you feel better soon :)
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    When I feel the way you do it's usually because I'm not eating enough calories to support my calorie expenditure.

Easiest thing for you to do then would to be slowly adjust your calories up 100-300 a day for a week or two and see if that doesn't help. If it doesn't then you may want to visit a doc to make sure nothing significant is going on.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    What's your calorie goal? You might just need to eat more.
  • slbober
    slbober Posts: 5
    Sounds like you may be dehydrated even if your drinking alot. Ever try coconut water. It is excellent source of vitamins, nutrients, adds electolights to your system. Check it out. Is it warm where you spend most of your time. I've noticed over the last couple of weeks, I've had to wait until later in the evening to exercise. This heat wave is a killer for everyone. be Careful<3
  • treeman821
    treeman821 Posts: 20
    I've been having the same problem, i asked this question yesterday and somebody recommended adding more protein & carbs in my diet and I felt great tonight.. this heat is horrible and could also be the problem
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Did you just start a lower calorie food intake? Are you eating enough? Those are symptoms that could be lack of enough food or the right nutrients.

But you could have something else going on....hard to tell if you are eating enough without knowing your info (height/weight/ age/goals/exercise/food diary)

This the first thing I thought of. I feel the same way when I am not getting enough food. It would be helpful to know the above info! ~Corina
  • EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    how's your diet? hows your training? over training can cause those symptoms...

I would say up your carbs and cals a little if you have too.. keeping to gym (as my doctor told me "gym and excersise is good when sick if you have the strengh to push yourself, it gets the blood flowing and helps fight off whatever is making you feel sick" and i usually hit the sauna after if im sick.. and i feel fine when i walk out)
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 4,095 Member
    Sounds like you need rest and if you are working out very strenuously, you probably need to reevaluate your calorie intake.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    It's hot in Washington? Eastern Washington, or Washington DC? If it's Washington State, it's not only hot, but you're probably not adapted to it. Try doing your workout early in the morning. Or try swimming. You can also try spreading your workouts throughout the day. So you spend more time moving throughout the day, but at a lower intensity. I don't know if that will actually work for weight loss, but I live by the rule that any movement is better than no movement. So, 10 minutes is better than nothing. If nothing else, it might allow you take it easy until you're feeling better without slipping too much in your fitness efforts.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Do NOT exercise when you are dizzy. I get dizzy spells when my blood pressure is low and was advised by the doctor never ever to exercise when dizzy. If the feeling keeps up and turns out not be a sickness, consult your doctor, even though you may not want to.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    It's hot in Washington? Eastern Washington, or Washington DC? If it's Washington State, it's not only hot,

Western Washington is currently enjoying a chilly "late spring". We've yet to see summer.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    It's hot in Washington? Eastern Washington, or Washington DC? If it's Washington State, it's not only hot,

Western Washington is currently enjoying a chilly "late spring". We've yet to see summer.

I'm in Western WA, it's 57 degrees here. We haven't had more than two days over 70 this summer. Far from hot.
This discussion has been closed.