What pushed you to lose the weight

Options
2»

Replies

• buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    my motivation: Last year, my fiance and I bought our first home. Last year I was focused on my financial "health". Cleaning my credit report, balancing my budget, paying off bills, etc. On the day we signed the papers, my fiance took his phone and did a walk-through to post on social media. I thought I looked really good, I was dressed nice, my hair was smooth, I felt really confident. I was okay with him posting it to facebook (something I'm normally not okay with, I don't like pictures of myself, let alone on social media)

Then I watched that video. I was fat. My hair was flat, not smooth. My skin was pasty, and I walked like I was carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders, hunched over and nervous. I no longer felt confident and great.

Due to the timing, I knew that dieting in any way would only cause me to stress and binge, so I gave myself 6 months to get in the swing of living at our new home. We got 2 kittens (our female, Lyanna, is in my profile pic. her brother Rhaegar is a couple pounds bigger =P), we setup all of our living spaces. By Christmas it felt like home.

When New Years came around, I knew I wanted to make 2017 my B**ch, and officially started on 1/19/17 at 219.1 lbs (I'm 5'2, will be 33rs old in a month). At Christmas I had weighed 223 lbs, so already I was feeling good. I knew I wanted to meal prep since that worked for me before in 2013, so I made all of our lunches for the week. I also started meal planning for dinners because we are trying to stick to a budget. We got pretty lax about going out to eat, and spent far more than necessary eating out.

My lowest weight to date is 206.6, so 12.5 lbs over an 8-9 week period. People are starting to notice the change, which helps a lot with keeping the motivation going. It's not super quick, but it's working. And as long as it keeps working, I'm hoping it will be easier to stick to it and keep the weight off :)
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I am realizing I like things being in order and predictable and there were a lot of my things in my life that I was trying to control that I couldn't and worrying about things I could not change. And it kind of clicked that this is something I can. The working out part can be hard... you could have little time, sickness, have injuries, or bad genetics, etc that make you unable to do a particular task. I have a bad shoulder, I am never throwing a fastball. Some people have bad knees and will never complete a marathon. But diet is so easy, you are eating anyway. It doesn't take much time, all you have to do is have discipline. So I am taking charge of something positive and letting go of the stuff I shouldn't worry about.
  • infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Is it vain to say my mother had gastric bypass surgery and got her weight lower than mine? I'd been comfortable being the lightest in my family (even though I've been overweight for several years), but when her weight dropped below mine, it was a wake up call. I'd rather not have surgery to get my climbing weight under control, and besides, I have a 9-month-old that I need to keep up with.
  • hmhall85
    hmhall85 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I spent the night in a chest pain unit at our local hospital. That was a *big* wake-up call for me.
  • Fizbi
    Fizbi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    2008 heart attack. Trying to stay ahead of the next one. I was already fit when I had the first one, but I know I can be more fit for the next one. :|
  • Aria_TC
    Aria_TC Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend of 2.5 years saying that I had let myself go. My clothes feeling tight and uncomfortable all day long. Feeling fatigued 90% of the time.
    Back in 2013, I used MFP to lose 30 lbs over the course of a summer and I remember thinking that it was simple. It requires effort more than anything. It doesn't matter if one day you run a mile or walk the dog. Getting more active is the key. Small victories compile into pounds lost. I gained the weight back after I stopped counting my calories. The stress of college got to me and I started binge eating. I gained it all back and stacked another 50 pounds on top of my previous heaviest weight.
    So here I am. 5 lbs into my journey again, 4 years later, with so much more to lose. I'm here because someone finally voiced what I've been thinking for so long. That I let myself go.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    In November of last year my husbands dr put him on cholesterol meds. I had been on cholesterol meds a few years back but after 2 years had some weird allergic reaction to them which in turned caused permanent joint damage in my hands and ankles?? Back then the dr immediately took me off the meds and put me on a plant based diet, I lost about 27lbs, the cholesterol came down yay me... so what did I do? I went right back to my bad eating habits gained what I lost and then some. I have never had an issue with my weight, there was never confidence issue, I was always the happy bubbly kind caring Kelly no matter if I was 260lbs or 180lbs soo that was never an issue for me, plus I am married to a wonderful man who tells me how beautiful I am and how much he loves me every single day so losing weight was never front and center for me... But something clicked in me the day my husband came home with that bottle of cholesterol meds. I was like, NO, NOT HAPPENING, we are going to start eating better, we are going to get active and we are going to live a long healthy life with our kids and future Grandbabies... That was 11/28/16, since then we have completely changed our lifestyle. We work out 6 days a week and we have lost a combined 80lbs. My new name is the food nazi ;) The thought of being almost 48 (at the time) and living a life without my husband or visa versa was just the slap in the face I needed. For me it is not about being thin, for me it is all about being healthy and fit. I like my curves, I plan on keeping them. ;) I have some medical issues, such as degenerative disk disease, 4 herniated disk in my lower back, 2 in my neck plus an aneurysm in my artery to my brain which I used as a total excuse to be lazy for so many years. The chronic pain, is doable, even more now that I have shed the lbs, I still have some to go, but again for me it's the number on the scale, its all about being able to finish that hour zumba class 3x's a week or 60 minutes on the treadmill the other 3 nights. Being able to walk up the stairs not being winded or running around with the kids and not having to sit down as well as no high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes etc.... That "Ah Ha" moment lives in all of us, and when it comes, there is nothing better!!!! I have been on every diet known to man but never before I have looked at this journey as a lifestyle change... That has been the key difference between now and then!!!!
  • emmacoxy88
    emmacoxy88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have played at losing weight several times over the last couple of years. I would eat healthier for a bit or join a gym then quit. My mum is overweight and in January this year I heard her telling a friend that she knows how to loose weight she just can't stick to it and it doesn't work. I hated the excuses and said to myself that I can do it. So the next day I joined a gym and began logging my food. I have been making a huge effort to getting healthy. I have been working out and eating healthy for about 2 full months and the changes are now what motivates me.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate hearing your stories.

What pushed me to start loosing weight was that the 80kg woman in the mirror was so far from the one I wished to be. Being overweight reflected a life where I was passively letting my days pass, didn't stand up for myself, and lacked self confidence. I easily quit when things got tough. Hanging out on the couch was easier and more confortable, but I was so far from being my best self.

Once I started getting into a good sports routine, I came to like the discipline and the simplicity, and learned the importance of commitment and patience, opposed to the instant gratification I had craved until then.

I have been laying low this winter, been more passive and piled on a couple of kilos. It has been a challenge to get back into a good workout routine, but now I've started, I love how it makes me feel.
  • bdbfangirl20
    bdbfangirl20 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wow, I love the stories that have unfolded on this post. Just motivates me more. It's a good feeling to know there are others who have felt and experienced similar things. I really hope all of you reach your current goals.
  • AmandaGutridge7
    AmandaGutridge7 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For me it started last summer when I couldn't fit on a roller coaster with my kids. I was absolutely MORTIFIED! It's bad enough that I'm 6'2" but add being 100+ pounds overweight and I didn't fit anywhere. I hated having the constant fear of sitting in plastic chairs because I was afraid they would break! Constantly having to check the weight limits on everything! I was so tired of being sick, feeling run down, being on different medications just because I'm obese. I finally realized that no one can change this but me. I had to do it for me, because I am worth it!!