Egyptian Arabic ?

Options
AZIZAELLAZIZA
AZIZAELLAZIZA Posts: 68 Member
I know this may sound like a crazy thread, but once you know me better, you'll find everything I do goes against the tide !

I was a foreign lang major in college 35 years ago and have been studying independently and with a tutor, Egyptian Arabic. I never miss a chance to make that known in case anyone is from Egypt and wants to do a bit of chatting.

Replies

• AZIZAELLAZIZA
    Options
    No, very very different. In fact, if I heard some from Algeria speaking Arabic I would not understand them at all. Egyptian Arabic is not really official, they have a million variations and it is the most melodic sounding of any language from that region
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Is Arabic different from Egyptian Arabic? I thought all Arabic was alike.

Egyptian Arabic is very different. I'm an Omani, and I understand all the Gulf dialects, but God help me understand what an Egyptian is saying when he/she speaks to me.
  • AZIZAELLAZIZA
    Options
    Izzayik ! Isme Elizabeth ! <3

Egyptian Arabic is very different. I'm an Omani, and I understand all the Gulf dialects, but God help me understand what an Egyptian is saying when he/she speaks to me.

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

Nice to meet you! I'm Sawsan. :) We're not allowed to speak in Arabic on the public forums, unfortunately--since the moderators are English-speakers, they close down a thread that doesn't use English to communicate because they can't understand what's being said. You're welcome to send me a private message if you like! :)
  • AZIZAELLAZIZA
    Options
    Oh I was just being cute, as you said you couldn't really understand Egyptian Arabic, so I figured I would tease you by saying ' how are you '. I can't write Arabic or read it anyhow. I have never met anyone from your country so it is a real pleasure ! I live in NY where we have folks from every corner of the globe and I was a foreign language major in college so am used to hearing all sorts of languages, I also watch a lot of foreign films and just rec'd a gorgeous cross from Ethiopia. I am Ms International !!! :)

Nice to meet you! I'm Sawsan. :) We're not allowed to speak in Arabic on the public forums, unfortunately--since the moderators are English-speakers, they close down a thread that doesn't use English to communicate because they can't understand what's being said. You're welcome to send me a private message if you like! :)

• AZIZAELLAZIZA
    Options
    I am fluent in 3 things - sarcasm, profanity and Brooklyn-ese ! B)
    ketomaniac wrote: »
    We No Speak Americano

• nourhanehab7
    nourhanehab7 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    An Egyptian here !