Vegan / Plant Based Support & Friends

I've been on and off with plant based foods, trying to find the right foods that are easy on the digestive system. For about a little over a year I've been 95% plant based. So I guess that doesn't count in the vegan category since I'm not 100%. I really can't digest tofu, legumes, and a few grains. So I've decided to go raw after months of researching and watching some videos.

So I'm looking for motivational supportive friends to add.

Goal: Losing body fat/weight while maintaining muscle definition.
Fear: looking to skinny while going raw and skipping out on high protein legumes and tofu.
Need: Some good before and after testimonials to keep me on this path.
Starting Diet: Just a bunch of fruits and ending my day with some veggies.

Replies

• Drueru
    Drueru Posts: 46 Member
    I am adding you! Vegan here, feel free to check out my diary but I do eat pretty simple foods..

Yogurt isn't vegan though :p
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    How are you planning to meet your protein needs on a raw vegan diet? It can be done, but it typically takes more planning.
  • Drueru
    Drueru Posts: 46 Member
    edited March 2017
    If you are looking for a great vegan protein, this one is my favorite: https://www.progressivenutritional.com/products/vegessential-all-in-one/

Tastes great, not too many carbs or calories for 25g of protein either. And it has a ton of other good stuff in it. However.. I don't think it's raw. I tried fully raw for a while and couldn't do it. I love beans too much ♥
  • janejellyroll
    Sorry about the yogurt! Were the rest okay suggestions? haha, don't want to give anyone bad advice.

Everything you mentioned was vegan except for the Greek yogurt (unless it's a specifically vegan kind) and whey protein.
  • Lavelle1980
    Lavelle1980 Posts: 367 Member
    Drueru wrote: »
    I am adding you! Vegan here, feel free to check out my diary but I do eat pretty simple foods..

Yogurt isn't vegan though :p

Thank you!
  • Lavelle1980
    How are you planning to meet your protein needs on a raw vegan diet? It can be done, but it typically takes more planning.

I'm taking Hemp seeds which I believe is a complete protein. But other than that, I'm out of ideas. I believe the only legumes that are not raw that I can handle pretty well are Garbanzo beans.
  • janejellyroll

I'm taking Hemp seeds which I believe is a complete protein. But other than that, I'm out of ideas. I believe the only legumes that are not raw that I can handle pretty well are Garbanzo beans.

Hemp seed is too low in lysine to be considered a complete protein, but garbanzo beans have lysine. Are you going to be 100% raw or just incorporating a lot of raw foods and some cooked?
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Best of luck in your journey. I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but I love the food so I eat as much of it as I can. I'm not sure that I would be able to fit raw vegan into my lifestyle because of all the additional prep and planning involved, but would love to see what you end up eating. Do you have an open diary?
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    I added you!

I've been vegan for what seems like forever. It becomes second nature after a while. I was raw for about 2 months years ago and really enjoyed it, but it was too time-consuming for me to keep up with (lots of prep work!)

My mom goes raw vegan for about 2 months out of the year so when I get a chance to visit and try out her recipes I do! Lots of nuts and seeds, fresh veggies and citrus sauces. I believe she also does hemp as a protein when she needs to.

• Lavelle1980
    Best of luck in your journey. I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but I love the food so I eat as much of it as I can. I'm not sure that I would be able to fit raw vegan into my lifestyle because of all the additional prep and planning involved, but would love to see what you end up eating. Do you have an open diary?

I believe my diary is open up. IF not, i'll change the settings.
  • Lavelle1980
    Hoshiko wrote: »
    I added you!

I've been vegan for what seems like forever. It becomes second nature after a while. I was raw for about 2 months years ago and really enjoyed it, but it was too time-consuming for me to keep up with (lots of prep work!)

My mom goes raw vegan for about 2 months out of the year so when I get a chance to visit and try out her recipes I do! Lots of nuts and seeds, fresh veggies and citrus sauces. I believe she also does hemp as a protein when she needs to.

Awesome, Thank you for the request. I've heard so many great results by going raw, but even if i don't make too much on a raw diet, I plan to stick it out being Vegan.

I purchased some Hemp protein powder and also some SunWarrior Raw Vegan protein shake.
  • Lavelle1980

Hemp seed is too low in lysine to be considered a complete protein, but garbanzo beans have lysine. Are you going to be 100% raw or just incorporating a lot of raw foods and some cooked?

I'm planning to be 100% raw as long as i can make it. I purchased today, Sun Warrior Raw Protein. Seems to have really great reviews and taste good too.
  • OriginalPegs
    OriginalPegs Posts: 21 Member
    Vegan here, my diary is open, feel from to add me :)
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    I have been eating vegan for a couple months now, but just started back up on mfp on Monday. My diary is open so you can check it out, and feel free to add me. :smile:
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    What d'you mean by you can't digest legumes? Even lentils? Is it gas and bloating? If you haven't been eating beans for a while, your gut bacteria needs an adjustment period. Maybe a couple weeks of eating a little bit daily.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Sorry about the yogurt! Were the rest okay suggestions? haha, don't want to give anyone bad advice.

and also OP said he can't digest legumes, so beans and peanut butter would be out. And possibly the soy-based meat substitutes and tempeh, unless the processing eliminates the digestive problem, but I don't think it would, since he also can't digest tofu. But quinoa should be OK.
    :smile: Not criticizing you -- that's a really small needle OP needs to thread.
  • Lavelle1980
    What d'you mean by you can't digest legumes? Even lentils? Is it gas and bloating? If you haven't been eating beans for a while, your gut bacteria needs an adjustment period. Maybe a couple weeks of eating a little bit daily.

The bloating and some abdominal pain. I've been eating lentils on and off for the majority of a year, and decided that it's not working for me. Hummus is a little better.

• mjffey
    mjffey Posts: 72 Member
    Vegan here. Raw when i feel i'm in the mood. You can add me if you like.