Sugar Cravings! help plez

Options
I need some help with sugar cravings. I have a problem around that time of the month with wanting to eat sugar all the time. I do just fine normally. I even got some stuff from the health food store thats supposed to help you suppress your cravings for sugars and carbs. They dont seem to work for me. Maybe when im not awaiting TOM they may work for random cravings. I really dont want to gain the weight back that I have lost. And it seems like im making progress TOM comes back and messes me all up again. Any suggestions? Its really frustrating that I cant seem to control it.

Replies

• carolynmittens
    Options
    have you ever tried stevia? some people don't dig the taste but i think it's pretty good. definitely not as good as sugar but it does take care of that sweet craving.
  • rebmatthews2002
    rebmatthews2002 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love fat free greek yoghurt and frozen berries, sprinkle a bit of equal over it and it's pretty filling and a sweet treat.
  • joyr1982
    joyr1982 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I get that craving too. I allow myself to eat a some sweets that are sugar free and low fat as long as I have worked out that day. My favorite right now are Pria Power bars. They are 110 calories but come in mint chocolate. So good but they also have protein. Or keep grapes and the likes on hand
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    a square of nice quality dark chocolate hits the spot for me:love:

Dark Chocolate has never been a trigger so I can actually eat a small portion and enjoy it and the simple carb craving is gone!:flowerforyou:
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Coffee... seems to supress my appetite
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Try having something naturally sweet, like strawberries - even if you add sugar to them. I don't know if you're like me but I crave chocolate. Sometimes I mistake this craving for just wanting something sweet. I could eat everything in sight and it's not enough. Once I get chocolate in my system, the craving's gone and I'm good again. Look into that for yourself if what I said sounds familiar. As Hearts Desire said, a square of dark chocolate does it. Milk chocolate you have to eat too much of. Dark chocolate is decadent as hell. Dove is my go-to. Put it with a glass of Malbec and I'm putty.
  • lval82
    lval82 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't completely restrict yourself from sweets--that'll make you want them more. You should check out the Hungry Girl website and cookbooks. Lisa Lillien takes recipes and transforms them into low calorie, high fiber recipes. The desserts usually only take a few ingredients (the yum-yum brownie muffins just take cake mix and canned pumpkin!) and are usually delicious.
  • MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie with sugar free chocolate syrup and PB in it with ice, lowfat milk or nonfat vanilla yogurt, or I make homemade granola with peanut butter and after baked and cooled I add chocolate chips! YUM!
  • farfalledibaciodinotte
    farfalledibaciodinotte Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    skinny cow ice cream... :) amazing and only 100 calories.
  • Mommy82
    Mommy82 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try eating Gala apples!!! They are so yummy and sweet that it gets my sugar craving in check. I also drink coffee with splenda. Keep it up.
  • cmg2008
    cmg2008 Posts: 139
    Options
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Its making me crazy. I eat everything sugary in site. I may have to try that dark chocolate thing. Cuz im craving something and im not sure what it is. So I guess thats why I eat so many random things from fruit to cereal.
  • spaceylaceys
    Options
    have you tried 5HTP? im trying it nexdt week...supposed to be good for supressing carb cravings (carbs are broken down as sugar...our bodhy craves them because it releases endorphins)....5HTP naturally releases seratonin, improving your mood and combating sugar/carb cravings and improving sleep (which is often not taken into account but is extremely important for weight loss)....anybody else tried it?
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I've been munching frosted mini wheats- the mini chocolate (you get a lot for the serving), the fruit in the middle, or the blueberry..mmm
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My response would depend on your answer to this question: can you limit yourself to a prescribed amount of sweets, or are you really out of control? If you can limit, I recommend buying a special, maybe more expensive treat, but only allowing yourself a specific amount (like one serving a day). If you don't have the willpower to do that (no shame there- we all have our weaknesses) then I would recommend purging your house of all of whatever tempts you. Replace it will healthy alternatives; a few have been mentioned. In general, sweet fruits (even fruits with as much sugar as the junk you're trying to avoid) are a better choice. You probably won't be addicted to them, plus they have less bad stuff (sodium, fat, preservatives, cholesterol, etc) than fruit and more good stuff (water and fiber to fill you up, vitamins, minerals, etc.).

And finally, I find that allowing myself treats in moderation works out better than total abstinence, in the long run. If I try to totally give up my favorites, I eventually start to feel defiant and self-pitying, and that ALWAYS ends badly. :)

Good luck with figuring out the right solution for you!
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My response would depend on your answer to this question: can you limit yourself to a prescribed amount of sweets, or are you really out of control? If you can limit, I recommend buying a special, maybe more expensive treat, but only allowing yourself a specific amount (like one serving a day). If you don't have the willpower to do that (no shame there- we all have our weaknesses) then I would recommend purging your house of all of whatever tempts you. Replace it will healthy alternatives; a few have been mentioned. In general, sweet fruits (even fruits with as much sugar as the junk you're trying to avoid) are a better choice. You probably won't be addicted to them, plus they have less bad stuff (sodium, fat, preservatives, cholesterol, etc) than fruit and more good stuff (water and fiber to fill you up, vitamins, minerals, etc.).

And finally, I find that allowing myself treats in moderation works out better than total abstinence, in the long run. If I try to totally give up my favorites, I eventually start to feel defiant and self-pitying, and that ALWAYS ends badly. :)

Good luck with figuring out the right solution for you!

If I can figure out what the craving is. I can probly keep myself from eating it all.