"I can't eat all my calories omg what do"

Options
DietPrada
DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
Seriously, you see these posts every day

"Hi, I'm Sharon, I used to weigh 300lbs and consume 4000 calories a day but now I'm on a diet I can't force myself to eat 1200 calories, I'm full after 800 - 1000"

I don't think so. What is the aim of these posts exactly? Is it attention? I mean, a snickers bar is 250 calories. 20g peanut butter is 130 calories. A Caesar salad with dressing is 800 to 1000 calories. You can't eat a salad?

I'm not singling anyone out, I just don't get it.

Replies

• Ayybee1114
    Ayybee1114 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have my fitbit linked to my account. It tracks all my steps and counts it as exercise. It also tracks when I actually do exercise. With that being said the more I move the more I can eat. I will end my day with 500-800 calories left.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably low fat diets. I'd probably eat 800 calories if I cut out all this delicious fat.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    When you eat clean foods 1200 calories can be a lot.
    I had trouble eating enough calories at first too. MFP kept prompting me to eat more. It was basically because I wasn't eating enough fats or starches (long story there).

I've seen some of those posts and I think people may be trying to make sure they do this right and don't make a mistake - so they're overly strict. Maybe something shocked them into starting to diet, or they're at a crisis point or something and just scared of failing. But they try to eat too "clean" and that's why they're so low.

• aephillips1
    aephillips1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Quite a few times I'm busy or get distracted or whatever and end up not eating anything until late. By then, I'm not hungry enough to eat all of my calories in only a few hours, and I prefer not to eat just for the sake of eating. I just make sure to hit my protein goal, then stop eating when I'm satisfied.

Today I had hot dogs, a nice chicken breast (because I've been craving a chicken breast) with ghee and buffalo sauce, a big bowl of egg salad with 3 TBSP of mayonnaise, bacon, 3 cups of New Barn Unsweetened Almondmilk (90 calories a cup), radishes with a little ranch dressing, and some jerky to pull up the protein. I am quite full and still only at 1,217 calories. Yes, I use a food scale, in grams, even for the condiments.
  • samhynes7469
    samhynes7469 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i am a 40 year old mom of 4 , 135 lbs, mostly fat.... i have a lot of trouble eating all of my cals , ill eat one egg and feel sick to my stomach , like i just ate an entire thanksgiving dinner....i try to then eat more often , but when you feel sick every time you eat its difficult , i also tried supplementing with things like muscle milk.....it was not always the case, i started feeling sick every time i ate about 4 years ago , btw... i love bacon and chocolate cupcakes !
  • Blubberbuster1
    Blubberbuster1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My first 2 months was tough getting 2k calories, now by the time I get to work at 8 am I have already eaten 1000 calories on lift days. Protein Bar at 4:50am, Protein shake during workout, over night oats after workout around 7am, and 2 eggs at 10. On off days I cut out the shake and bar. Loving it so far.
    I found that easy filler to fill in the calories are 2eggs, avocados, natural peanut butter, and nuts.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I'm convinced this can be a mental attitude manifested as lack of appetite. I spent my whole life with disordered eating habits, going back and forth between periods of eating too much and eating too little, and often when I was eating too little, it felt difficult to eat the amount of food I now know is necessary because I'd feel full really quickly. I'm sure it was connected to my attitude and misguided beliefs about food and weight loss.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Some folks with surgically tiny tummies really cannot eat 1200. The mfp protocol is for people with essentially unmodified digestive tracts.