Foods that keep you full longer.

Options
dice80
dice80 Posts: 84 Member
Hello All, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of foods that keep you fuller longer. I eat 30 grams of protein/30 grams of carbs which usually consist of a fruit and vegetables. I'm having trouble staying full and also wanting to binge on bad carbs. Any help would be amazing.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You need more protein than that.

Eat vegetables. I've just done a challenge to eat 800 g of vegetables a day and I was stuffed full to bursting the full week and my calories we're low also.

There's also no such thing as a bad carb.
  • dice80
    Options
    BTW, the 30/30 is with each meal. And I drink tons of water
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I am glad you added that the 30/30 was for each meal. You had me a bit worried there.

I find complex carbs like brown rice, wholemeal pasta, oats and wholemeal bread fill me up but others find this leaves them hungry an hour or so later.
    Changing from low fat dairy to full cream can also make a huge difference. Those few extra calories leave you filling fuller and less likely to reach for the chocolate later.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't look for foods to keep you full. Eat a variety of foods that provide you with enough of all the nutrients you need every day. It's completely normal to not feel full all the time, and to feel hungry before meals. Meals should just take the hunger away for a few hours. A good description of the feeling you should aim for most of the time is "empty" (I stole it from another member). You're not starving when you eat well.

I peeked at your diary. Your meal setup looks great, but I could spot some probable causes for hunger or dissatisfaction. If you only have 1500 calories (net) to play with, I don't think you can spend 270 of them on protein shakes every day. You are getting more than enough protein - eat more butter instead. I would try to get in as many different foods as possible through the day and from day to day. Don't just eat almonds and oranges and carrots and tuna, have other nuts too, and other proteins and vegetables and fruits.

"Bad carbs" is not a thing, not outside the realm of restricive eating and contributes to the urge to binge. Eat food you like but let most of it be foods that nourishes you.
  • dice80
    Options
    Don't look for foods to keep you full. Eat a variety of foods that provide you with enough of all the nutrients you need every day. It's completely normal to not feel full all the time, and to feel hungry before meals. Meals should just take the hunger away for a few hours. A good description of the feeling you should aim for most of the time is "empty" (I stole it from another member). You're not starving when you eat well.

I peeked at your diary. Your meal setup looks great, but I could spot some probable causes for hunger or dissatisfaction. If you only have 1500 calories (net) to play with, I don't think you can spend 270 of them on protein shakes every day. You are getting more than enough protein - eat more butter instead. I would try to get in as many different foods as possible through the day and from day to day. Don't just eat almonds and oranges and carrots and tuna, have other nuts too, and other proteins and vegetables and fruits.

"Bad carbs" is not a thing, not outside the realm of restricive eating and contributes to the urge to binge. Eat food you like but let most of it be foods that nourishes you.

Thank you. Sorry I just now saw your reply. I am having a terrible time with binge eating. I am actually seeing a therapist about the issue now. I've only gone to my first appointment but I have hope. I am just so scared that I am headed back to my heaviest weight again. I work out but it doesn't seem like enough. My binge eating is out of control. I will try to add more variety, it just helps when you buy produce to use it for the whole week. I don't want it to go bad.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    dice80 wrote: »
    Thank you. Sorry I just now saw your reply. I am having a terrible time with binge eating. I am actually seeing a therapist about the issue now. I've only gone to my first appointment but I have hope. I am just so scared that I am headed back to my heaviest weight again. I work out but it doesn't seem like enough. My binge eating is out of control. I will try to add more variety, it just helps when you buy produce to use it for the whole week. I don't want it to go bad.
    It's great that you are talking with the therapist about this. It's not an easy step to take, but it's a good and important one.

I understand about buying produce for the week and trying to use it up - I do the same thing. One idea is to cook vegetables and other healthy dishes at the beginning of the week (several types) and divide them into portions. You can refrigerate them or freeze them for later. Rotate them into your menu so you can get a variety throughout the week. When the vegetables are cooked and refrigerated, they won't go bad - at least, not within the week.

• dice80
    Options
    I see. I do a lot of frozen vegetables. I usually divide a bag between two meals in a day. and to make it to my 30 grams of carbs I usually add a piece of fruit.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Protein, fats and fiber tend to make people feel more satisfied. If you are hitting all of those goals maybe look at other aspects.

How long have you been doing this? Is your calorie goal too aggressive of a drop? Try a smaller deficit you can sustain easier.
    Is your activity level set correctly? Are you eating some exercise calories?
    Are you approaching your period? Sometimes people get hungrier around that time of month. Try having a maintenance calorie day or two.
    Drinking calories- For me I don't seem to get satisfied if my calories come from liquids. I seem to need the chewing sensation. Along that line try chewing mint gum instead of eating more.
    Are you getting enough sleep? Not getting enough sleep can lead to feeling like you need to eat more.
    Are you drinking enough water? Some confuse thirst signals for hunger signals. Drink some water and wait 20 minutes to see if the feeling passes before reaching for more food.
    Eat more slowly. The feeling of fullness can take 20 minutes to register. Drink a glass of water with your meal. Chew more thoroughly. Set a timer and try to increase the time you spend on your meal. Spend time noticing the taste, texture of your food as you eat-savor it before swallowing.
    Some foods might satisfy you more if combined with other foods. Like eggs don't fill me up if I don't have them with toast and other foods. Maybe there are foods like this for you.
    I looked at a few days of your diary and noticed that you do not eat the same amounts at the same time every day. I wonder if it might be helpful to set particular times to eat and decide you will have so many calories for each meal and be more consistent in those amounts. I noticed for myself that I get hungry every 3-5 hours. I am fine with a 100-300 calorie breakfast, 300-500 calorie lunch, 500-600 calorie dinner and 100-300 calories for snacks in the afternoon/evening. Some people do well eating 1-2 much larger meals a day while others do better spreading their calorie intake out more evenly though. Many people who do intermittent fasting seem to eat their calories later in the day rather than eating a huge morning meal. Maybe you would find success with that method.

Hope that gives you some ideas.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Balance is what works for me. I try to get protein, carbohydrates and fat into every meal and snack. Also a variety to make sure you are getting your micro nutrients as well. I also like to keep it colorful since you really do eat with you eyes first. I also try to stay away from refined carbs since they can actually make me hungrier.