Anyone else eat badly when they're sick ?

Options
When I have a stomach sickness, I always eat LOTS of bread and go over my caloric and sodium limit. Anyone else do this? I had IBS really badly for most of my life but I think it came down to a bunch of food sensitivities. On a daily basis, I ususally feel super healthy these days but once every two months I'll get sick for two- three days. (Maybe I accidentally eat something I'm intolerant to ?)

anyone else eat more calories when they're sick? I feel like bread is the only thing that stops my tummy aches but I get a lot of guilt going off plan

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance when I'm sick unless I have no appetite. No guilt though, I'd rather fuel my body to fix itself than be sick longer.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree. Just wish it wasn't a sickness every couple months lol. I'm probably going to have to do an elimination diet
  • jayjay_90
    jayjay_90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I used to do this all the time, and I also suffer from some IBS ... I don't know what's changed but I feel less inclined to do it nowadays. Probably because I realized that I was eating for comfort and not for actual nutrition during those bouts haha. Unfortunately I don't have much to offer in was of advise other than to start being mindful of what triggers your IBS symptoms :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how sick I am. A minor cold and I have no problem staying on plan. Today (2.5 weeks into what was thought to be a sinus infection...antibiotics don't seem to be working) and carbs are the only thing that sound appealing. I'm going to just do a maintenance day and try to balance it out the rest of the week.
  • dmwh142
    dmwh142 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes for some reason my comfort food is peanut butter which can really pack on the calories. It does seem to help with migraines though.
  • ClaraKnepper
    ClaraKnepper Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    When I'm not feeling well I eat fresh avacado. It's good for settling upset stomachs and the healthy fats might curb your carb craving? :) also I used to have bouts of something similar and eating more probiotics helped too.
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    For sure! When I'm sick with a cold or something I just want comfort food and I'm so NOT going to be cooking anything. I do tend to eat less when I'm sick so hopefully it just evens out over the long run.. I'm currently having a bout of IBS where I'm struggling to eat anything without getting sick to my stomach... I'd much rather deal with eating to much than struggling to eat or drink anything...
  • southernoregongrape
    southernoregongrape Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Gross though it sounds, whenever I had a really bad cold as a kid, Mama would always make me the boxed Lipton Chicken Noodle soup. With real butter floating on top and lots of plain crackers to soak up the liquid. That is still my goto sick food.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I go through a ridiculous number of oranges when I'm sick. To the point where you wonder if that's even good for a person anymore lol.

@southernoregongrape I just bought a huge box of those noodle soups yesterday, no joke. My family always squirts in a bunch of ketchup and mixes it in. So I totally get it! I ate about 4 packs when I had my last cold haha.
  • Whit_88
    Whit_88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes. Especially when its a migraine. I don't know why I think If I eat all the food in the house while I have one that it will just go away, but I do. And it never does.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies ! Some whole wheat pita with cashew butter seemed to really calm my stomach. Not sure why. You guys are the best! Just a small amount satisfied me so It seems like I. This case, the combo of carbs and fat did the job!
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    jayjay_90 wrote: »
    I used to do this all the time, and I also suffer from some IBS ... I don't know what's changed but I feel less inclined to do it nowadays. Probably because I realized that I was eating for comfort and not for actual nutrition during those bouts haha. Unfortunately I don't have much to offer in was of advise other than to start being mindful of what triggers your IBS symptoms :)
    Yeah, I think I really need to do an elimination diet to figure out my triggers. I'm completely clueless as to what healthy foods may cause triggers. I've figured out a few ( peppers, onions, eggplants,) but I don't think I have it all figured out
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    jayjay_90 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I really need to do an elimination diet to figure out my triggers. I'm completely clueless as to what healthy foods may cause triggers. I've figured out a few ( peppers, onions, eggplants,) but I don't think I have it all figured out

Check garlic also. My brother had issues with garlic.
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Try googling FODDMAPs. They're the things that people with IBS are most commonly triggered by.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm sick with...I try to keep it cool. I also know that I'm not moving as much so that is enough to keep me in check.

I have IBS too. My stomach doesn't hurt but the constipation is absolutely horrible. I need to solve this.